Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2017, 18:13   #16

Re: Tell me about New Bern/ Oriental

Won't comment about economics.

But I will say that when we bought our boat 2 years ago in Beaufort, we had every intention to start moving her to the Chesapeake Bay (Deltaville to be exact) .
After the first sail in Neuse River/Pamlico Sound (Oriental's local water)...well we just kinda fell in love with the place.
Last year we signed a lease at Pecan Grove Marine and have every intention on staying for a few years if not longer.

You can spend weeks sailing the sound and still not cover most of it.

A nice weekend sail is from Oriental to Ocracoke.

The ICW runs right through the middle of the area.

Several full service marinas and yards are around Oriental. Jarrett Bay Boatworks, a very large yard, is just south along the ICW, on Adams Creek.

Oriental has it's own WM. As does New Bern. But a much larger one is in Moorehead City. Dozen of smaller, local chandlers are all around. Every major department store can be found some where between New Bern and Beaufort along US 70.

For military folks, Cherry Point MCAS Commissary and PX are fantastic.

Driving from the midwest is about 18 hours. Flying in to EWN (New Bern) is about 6 hours total. Air fare is as low as $280 PP RT, to the most we've paid is $550 PP RT.

The Neuse River/ Pamlico Sound area is definitly worth looking into.
missourisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 05:51   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jim B.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 11:08   #18

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5

Over the past 30 years I have had a boat in both Oriental 1978 thru 1989 and we were weekenders commuting from Raleigh on the weekends, then the drive got to be too much. sold boat but missed it so bought another and put it at North West Creek Marina in New Bern, well not actually New Bern. about 9 miles from downtown New Bern have kept boat here last 23 years. continued to be weekenders until 3 years ago retired to New Bern, should have done it sooner, absolutely love it, a perfect retirement community with great medical/healthcare, hospital rated No. #3 in the state and the only 5 star in the state, the community is very charming, friendly, great restaurants, and plenty of activities to enjoy and participate in. One of the boating publications rated it one of the best boating towns on the east coast.
True it adds time and miles when you are taking a boat trip to to any of the previous mentioned locations like, Beaufort, Ocracoke, Belhaven, Washington, or heading to to ICW for points north or south, because New Bern is located at the far western end of the Neuse river, but for what the town offers in my opinion it's a no brainer, I would suggest a visit to the area.
If you have ever been to Annapolis it reminds me of a little Annapolis there is a great marina in town (New Bern Grande Marina) The major employers here are Bosch, Moen, Hatteras Yachts and Cherry Point Marine air station in Havelock. as far as sailing in the upper part of the Neuse vs the Oriental area, I have found that there is not that much difference, the upper part of the river is a little more protected vs the oriental area, but we still get great sailing winds, I love Oriental but its to Isolated with very little to offer in terms of service's (boats excluded) ie, medical shopping, restaurants, grocery stores, movies, theater, ect., but I enjoy going to Oriental or River Dunes by boat, it's always a fun visit/destination.
You should be able to gather more information or either location, I know you can see a great video of the New Bern area if you google the town.

Come for a visit......Stay a lifetime.
Capt. Ron
Capt n Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 11:39   #19

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

The responses are great. I had not even heard of New Bern until searching for yachts. Same with that place Kameh, TX (or whatever.) Suva, Nuku'alofa, Gizo, Pago I'm comfortable with, but I've never been to Okracoke (but I've heard of it.) So it was rather a shock when all of a sudden I find two big yachting areas in USA that had never hit my ears.

I am rather shocked with the driving times to Oriental. The thought of living/ working that far from the water scares the bejesus out of me. I'm used to making a last minute decision to spend a beautiful late evening sail and overnight on the boat. I know a couple weekenders who do 2.5 hour drives, the rest of us think they're nuts. So I couldn't believe what I inferred from Google and Wikipedia was true- that Oriental was a long, long way from work.

So sadly, if I'm to continue working, it looks like Oriental is not the perfect place for me. Still, there's always the future and it sounds like a marvelous place. I'd love to hear more stories from locals. Thanks to you all for your time and kind responses. Please keep it up- we have 2' of snow.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 20:41   #20

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

We spent Christmas there in 2014 i think it was. Great fun but unseasonably cold that year. Great people inthe village. New years street dance fireworks and food. Gave blood at a local drive. Great sailing on the pamlico.
Rumor has it half the villagers are in witness protection.lol well maybe just a few crazies, well more than a few......
Jobs far and few between for peanuts as sad before.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote