Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2014, 13:39   #16

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Supplies to Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
One line: Ships Stores
So do they ask for the sum total you paid?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 13:43   #17

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
So do they ask for the sum total you paid?
Nope.
There may be separate lines to list specific items like liquor quantity, weapons, ammunition, etc.
Old 29-08-2014, 14:27   #18

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Thought you were suppose to say 'normal ship stores'.

Some things to be aware of.

No real spear guns allowed, I take a pole spear, lots more tips than you think you need, and replacement bands. If you have a hooka say you use it to clean your hull(s). Firearms and ammo require detailed description.

As a rule it is easy going as long as you don't have half a dozen laptops new in boxes or something like that.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 04:36   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
...Is there a form we can download ahead of time?
Thanks,
z
"Ships Stores" will suffice.
INWARD REPORT - PLEASURE VESSELS
https://forms.bahamas.gov.bs/dp_form.asp?fid=263
http://www.bahamas.com/sites/default..._Clearance.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 04:53   #20

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

"Ships stores for personal consumption" was required by the customs lady at Morgans Bluff two years ago.
Old 30-08-2014, 07:01   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapo View Post
"Ships stores for personal consumption" was required by the customs lady at Morgans Bluff two years ago.
Even better - no ambiguity.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 16:52   #22

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

In The Bahamas, as in all the West Indies, it is impolite to commence talking with strangers such as Customs officials without saying "Good Morning" or as appropriate, first. Say "yes Sir " or "no Ma'am" and "thank you" and it goes a long way. Making small talk does not hurt.
dohenyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 09:38   #23

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
In The Bahamas, as in all the West Indies, it is impolite to commence talking with strangers such as Customs officials without saying "Good Morning" or as appropriate, first. Say "yes Sir " or "no Ma'am" and "thank you" and it goes a long way. Making small talk does not hurt.

This is true. Even though we are on a first name basis with just about all the C&I folks in the BVI, we still treat them with utmost professional courtesy. This has saved my bacon a few times. It's been my experience that shown respect and helping them clear their line by being prepared is the easiest way to have a smooth entry.

Hence, the reason I rejuvenated this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 13:37   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Balance 526
Re: Supplies to Bahamas (please read)!!!

Warning to Cruising boats heading to Georgetown Bahamas. My boat was just delivered into GT and was immediately boarded by Customs officials even though the boat was cleared in Nassau. Apparently they are cracking down on every boat entering the harbor. They tore my boat apart and even said they needed a receipt for the 2 bottles of Gatorade in the forward locker.

Dave
Old 07-11-2014, 14:16   #25

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilmonday View Post
Warning to Cruising boats heading to Georgetown Bahamas. My boat was just delivered into GT and was immediately boarded by Customs officials even though the boat was cleared in Nassau. Apparently they are cracking down on every boat entering the harbor. They tore my boat apart and even said they needed a receipt for the 2 bottles of Gatorade in the forward locker.

Dave

This makes no sense and there definitely has to be more to this story than we are getting. Gatorade isn't illegal in the Bahamas and there are no import fees on it, so why would they need a receipt. And you said the boat was just delivered to Georgetown, not just arrived. How about some clarification before I send this off to Customs in Nassau and ask what's up. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 14:23   #26
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:

Dave
Maybe Mr. Carey has things stirred up? http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...as-135361.html

Not a problem for me. I'm always out of beer, wine, and rum by the time I get to Nassau and Georgetown. First stop is always a liquor store.

I'm with Chuck, sounds fishy to me.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:34   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Balance 526

Hey Chuck,

You right it doesn't make sense. But its true. I had a delivery captain moving my boat over to its mooring in GT and had cleared in at Nassau. Within 20 minutes the water taxi showed up with Customs officials onboard. They wanted receipts for every new looking item onboard. And yes they even called out the food items. You are right there are no duties due on food items but the officials are getting corrupt and what are you to do argue with them and get your boat impounded.

I only mentioned this to warm the 500 or so cruising boats that are making there way down there. Do what you want with the info but it is real. I have been going down there for 10 years and have never even seen a customs official on the water until this year. There where 2 other boats that came in after mine and where boarded as well.

Cheers,
Old 11-11-2014, 14:04   #28

Boat: Corbin39

Sounds like they're flexing their muscle. GT will get a bad wrap now and the locale economy will suffer. Serve's them right.
I am headed that way and need to stop to drop off a crewman to fly out. I will report what I see....

"..........._____/)

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Agape39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 14:30   #29

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Hey Chuck,

You right it doesn't make sense. But its true. I had a delivery captain moving my boat over to its mooring in GT and had cleared in at Nassau. Within 20 minutes the water taxi showed up with Customs officials onboard. They wanted receipts for every new looking item onboard. And yes they even called out the food items. You are right there are no duties due on food items but the officials are getting corrupt and what are you to do argue with them and get your boat impounded.

I only mentioned this to warm the 500 or so cruising boats that are making there way down there. Do what you want with the info but it is real. I have been going down there for 10 years and have never even seen a customs official on the water until this year. There where 2 other boats that came in after mine and where boarded as well.

Cheers,
Sounds awful strange. How do they know you even just got to GT? There is no requirement to report in if you've already cleared in at another port. I just messaged a friend in GT to try and get to the bottom of this.
Old 11-11-2014, 20:49   #30

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

What do they need receipts for? Are you needing to prove you bought provisions in the usa, or in the bahamas?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas