Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 14:18   #1

Supplies to Bahamas

In beginning to plan our cruise to the Bahamas and Turks&Caicos later this year and wondering where to stow all the absolute "must-haves" for a 4-month cruise, I realized that I do not know much about import restrictions - are we subject to the same restrictions as landlubbers, provided everything stays on the boat? Needless to say, I am particularly concerned about having enough beer, wine and liquor on board for 4 months. We do not own any firearms or spearguns, so these are not a problem.
I would appreciate any input from cruisers who have been there and done that.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 14:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
When you check in, include your beer, wine and liquor, etc, as `Ship`s Stores` (NON-SPECIFIC provisions).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 14:37   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
As long as everything is ship's stores you shouldn't have any problem with the possible exception of tobacco products. Booze is available most places in the Bahamas with the exception of Landrail Point, Crooked Island. Beer is expensive, you can actually find some deals on liquor and occasionally wine in the larger stores such as those in Nassau. A few years ago we found some very good (and cheap) French table wine in one of the stores in Georgetown. It's a foreign country - French wine is cheaper than Californian, and Becks beer costs the same as Budweiser. Rum used to cost less than Coke, but that's changed.
It's been a few years since we've been to the T&C but I don't recall any drastic differences.
Old 11-02-2010, 14:39   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
As long as you are not bringing in firearms, ammunition, items considered by the Bahamas as contriband, only your supplies and spare parts, you will have no issues and need not declare these items. If you have anything shipped to you, there are procedures to follow for parts, etc. to be exempt from duty. All of this can be found on the this website, Bahamas Customs | bahamas-guide.info so have fun. WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 15:36   #5

wwguy -
The Bahamas don't really care about firearms, though they can be very strict about ammunition counts, both entering and leaving.
A friend of mine cleared in some years ago in Nassau, with a pistol, a rifle, a shotgun, and an air rifle. The officials weren't fazed by the firearms, but they confiscated the air rifle, saying he could have it back upon departure. Their reason? If it were stolen, all the kids would be shooting out streetlights with it.
I guess air rifle pellets are more readily available than regular ammo.
Old 11-02-2010, 16:45   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
I am not sure how long ago that was, but I can assure you they are concerned about firearms. WG

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 19:59   #7

wg -
I'm using the wrong words. Certainly the Bahamas want firearms declared, etc., but they aren't like some other countries where weapons are impounded for the duration of your stay, or Mexico where they can get quite agitated.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:29   #8

Thanks for all the input, Guys. So it sounds like I should not be concerned about my large stash of booze, wine and beer provided it stays on board as "ship's stores", and the normal customs limit ( 2 bottles of this and that) does not apply?? I still plan to leave the bazooka at home.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:03   #9

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad
don't worry about booze/tobacco, etc in the bahamas...the officials just want to do their paperwork, collect the $$$$ and go to the next boat. they are really nice people who won't hassle you. must haves should definately include paper products as toilet paper costs $12 for an 8 pack. beer's around $40/case, wine is reasonable but food is crazy priced (last yr. 3 tomatoes were $4.50). fuel is expensive too, but hey, everything comes by boat and pays a whopping duty (at least 42%)...it's all worth the $$ because most of the bahamas /t&c are paradise...
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:41   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Going in & out of the Bahamas since 81. I have found they only want the weapons declared. Ammunition has never been counted, but they ask.

As far as beer, take what you like to drink. Hard liquor is cheaper there, and friends have also found good wine in Georgetown on the opposite side of the dinghy dock. Take canned beers, so you can crush them and save space. BEST WISHES in having a fun, and safe time.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 10:13   #11

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
Take canned beer, I found wrapping each can in a baggie prevented the cans from rubbing against each other and then leaking into the boat. Liquor was cheaper by far than at home, wine is a bit of a catch as catch can. Any booze we were carrying was declared as ships stores and presented no problem coming into the Bahamas.
Fair winds...have a great time
witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 11:54   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchcraft View Post
Take canned beer, I found wrapping each can in a baggie ...
I hope you get a very good volume discount on baggies.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 12:54   #13

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Just bought beer in Marsh Harbour. Heineken was$2/can. Guinness 2.50. Wine is generally much more expensive here. Rum and vodka are quite affordable.

I've never had my boat searched or has them ask how much booze I had on board, but can't promise that won't happen.

Boat parts are the things I think are really important to be well stocked up on. Impellers, belts, dinghy repair kit, pump repair kit, etc.

Have a great cruise.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 13:33   #14

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Supplies to Bahamas

Dredging up an old thread...

Do we need to list everything we have on board in our declaration form? That seems like it would take a long time.

Is there a form we can download ahead of time?

Thanks,

z
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 13:37   #15

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Supplies to Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Dredging up an old thread...

Do we need to list everything we have on board in our declaration form? That seems like it would take a long time.

Is there a form we can download ahead of time?

Thanks,

z
One line: Ships Stores

Tags
Bahamas