Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2010, 20:12   #16

Boat: Jefferson Motoryacht 45' Whatever!
Lovely shots!
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 20:20   #17

Boat: Vagabond 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Well........ You see I'm from Florida, but I grew up there BD, Before Disney. Before Air conditioning. Before it was covered in concrete. When the beaches were open and beautiful and didn't require sand pumping because someone built concrete seawalls on the dunes. When the water was clean and the reefs were beautiful. Before lovebugs. When you could drive down AIA and actually see the water. Before the watercops were thicker than the mosquitoes. When you actually saw the coast come over the horizon, not 30 story condos. When if you wanted to see whales you went to the beach, not Sea World. When in the summer you could set your watch by the afternoon rain because the center of the state was covered with swamps not concrete. Where you could get the best citrus in the world. All of this stuff came to an end with Disney and air conditioning.

I can't tell you what Florida is any more but I think I told you what it's not any more.

DITTO! I remember your Florida, I left and now am in west GA. There is still some semblance of that Florida left and I plan to go there soon. But I ain't tellin where - cause I want it to last a while.
Old 23-11-2010, 20:45   #18

Boat: O'Day 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
Lovely shots!

Gratzie!

Re: Florida.. As a musician, I'm quite fond of that state. Some of my mostest beloved musical heroes come from there: Don Felder, Tom Petty, Duane and Gregg, Mike Campbell, Skynyrd, The Outlaws, Deloris Telescope, Cannonball and Nat Adderly, The Headlights and the immortal Jaco to name a few.

Carl Hiassen carries the torch pretty well.
Old 23-11-2010, 20:55   #19

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
I forgot one thing. When boats had priority at bridges and the cars had to wait!
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 21:04   #20

Boat: Vagabond 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by itchybro View Post
Gratzie!

Re: Florida.. As a musician, I'm quite fond of that state. Some of my mostest beloved musical heroes come from there: Don Felder, Tom Petty, Duane and Gregg, Mike Campbell, Skynyrd, The Outlaws, Deloris Telescope, Cannonball and Nat Adderly, The Headlights and the immortal Jaco to name a few.

And 38 Special! Thank you.
Old 23-11-2010, 21:06   #21

Quote:
I forgot one thing. When boats had priority at bridges and the cars had to wait!
Dig this: (and have a glimse back-I spent a few summers as a kid in Sarasota then later in the Tampa St. Pete area)

Old 24-11-2010, 04:33   #22

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
There are, of course, many very amazingly lovely places in Florida, especially when you visit them from the water. If I were in a car somewhere around Atlanta I would not be raving about Georgia. I am also a legal resident of Florida, mostly for tax and convenience reasons and have no idea where I will be a year from now.
That said, there are huge swaths of Florida that are butt ugly. Worse even then New Jersey. Please do not take offense when I insult your home state.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 05:42   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchybro View Post
Gratzie!

You forgot Jim Morrison, I went to the same high school that he did though not at the same time.
Old 24-11-2010, 06:00   #24

Quote:
You forgot Jim Morrison, I went to the same high school that he did though not at the same time.
Well, I park "The Lizard King" more in the poet patch as I'm primarily a guitar player. Johnny Depp went to high school with a pal of mine down there too,before he took his guitar to L.A.

I'm sure there are notables. I mean, how many monsters crawled out of Miami @ Coral Gables? Metheny, Jaco, Will Lee, Steve Morse, Bruce Hornsby yadda yadda But, I don't consider them being "from" there.
Old 24-11-2010, 06:19   #25

Wow, has this thread drifted or what!!!!!! Yes the Coastal Islands and salt marshes of Georgia are extremely beautiful. If You have not taken the time to do the ICW route through GA at least once you should. The only caution is to be aware of the large tidal range and strong currents and watch your draft at low tide, especially if you draw 5 feet or more. Be prepared as this is a mostly anchor out route though there are a few Marinas along the way. The beauty is there's not much civilization.
Old 24-11-2010, 06:39   #26

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Cumberland Island should not be missed.

Old 24-11-2010, 06:46   #27

Oh! From the heading, I thought you were on the Black Sea, maybe near Bat'umi, and wondered if the political situation was iffy or there were language-barrier challenges.

Guess not!
aegean adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 04:55   #28

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Off to another island, Sapelo. What a great place! Owned almost entirely by the state except for a small town of 50 descendants of slaves. Very loverly and laid back. No big box McMansions that litter the coastline of islands that allowed development.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 06:56   #29

Boat: 1967 Falmouth Gypsy 24'
Quote:
Living aboard your boat is illegal in Georgia.
I've heard this before but haven't seen and 'proof', anyone experienced this law first hand? Do they stop cruisers and ask them how long they have been aboard? Is there a link to the law online?

when I pass through Georgia I plan on staying offshore and running for S Carolina before ducking back into the ICW, I've been to Georgia before and don't think that it should be considered on of the "southern" states, ya know, the ones renowned for their hospitality...
Hillbillyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 07:12   #30

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillyfunk View Post
I've heard this before but haven't seen and 'proof', anyone experienced this law first hand? Do they stop cruisers and ask them how long they have been aboard? Is there a link to the law online?

when I pass through Georgia I plan on staying offshore and running for S Carolina before ducking back into the ICW, I've been to Georgia before and don't think that it should be considered on of the "southern" states, ya know, the ones renowned for their hospitality...
Been through many times. Never heard of anyone being hassled. A few years ago there was a big commune like boat in Brunswick with all sorts of folks living aboard and they weren't hassled.