Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2009, 19:58   #1
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Steel Boat Yard Trinidad, Puerto La Cruz or Nearby ?

Hi All

I shall be up in that neck of the woods in the next few months and am looking for a steel boat yard. I´ve heard good things about a yard in Pueto La Cruz but can´t remember the name.
Any personal experince with yards up there would be much appreciated. To do list so far....

*Require a liftout and a yard to cut a couple of sections of plate and weld in new
*Need to do other works myself while lifted out
*Possible to liveaboard or cheap rooms available closeby?
*Good epoxy paint available?
*Weather - heard Trinidad has a lot of rain, not good for painting, is this the case or Puerto La Cruz any better?
*Costs - is Venezuela that much cheaper?

I know Venezuela has security issues but one thing at a time, what are the chances of keeping that for another thread...

Thanks in advance

Paddy - Conachair
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 13:46   #2

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Both locations will have all that you need re steel work, although probably not by site. Plenty of locals to do work. I had some work on my boat done (anchor locker) Venezuela and was please at the result. Both will have quality epoxy and in the rainy season (now) both have rain, but is generally short lived.

Venezuela will be cheaper for local accomodation and are more likely to allow liveaboard.

Cost is difficult insofar as Venezuela has an offical rate and an active black market rate. Ie Offical Bolivar-UsD 2.14 Black 6.4 today. Prices because of exchange control are at the black rate and rising. However overall venezuela would be considered cheaper for most. IE I used Montana Epoxy (good results) $50usd gallon

Best regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 20:00   #3

Boat: Bruce Roberts 45ft Monohull
Hi Paddy

I agree with Alan "Anglooff", another point to consider,
because of the high inflation many "marine consumables" are not always freely available in Venezuela,
(and all imports over US$ 100 are diverted to Caracas and subject to import duties of around 40 % )
plus theft and damage is an inherent problem with shipments
Antifouling paint is one item that comes instantly to mind, best to take those sort of itens with you if you can

Some of the Marinas in PLC are
Bahia Redonde, Aqua Vie, America Vespucio, Mare Mares,

"Navimca" in Cumana

Hope this helps
yottiejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 09:39   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
If you ignore all other factors and considerations and only look at price - Venezuela will be the hands down winner coming is at one half or one quarter of the cost of the same work in Trinidad. There is nothing cheap in Trinidad - their prices are equal or greater then USA prices in the "cruiser boatyards" in Chagauramas Bay. But there are other boatyards closer to Port O'Spain that work with local fishing boats and steel boats/barges. They may have significantly lower prices than in the "cruiser boatyards."
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Tobago, Trinidad and Tobago