Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 17:48   #31
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Re: St Martin to Panama in One Piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
this trip is only dangerous,aruba to cartagena,when you have winds f 5-6,wait for a lull in the weather,f 3-4 and you will have a smooth ride.
Thanks, I look at this passage on "Passage Weather" quite a bit and it seems that weather windows are few and far between. We have done the Richards Bay to Capetown thing and i know that it is all a waiting game but there never seems to be a decent window outside of November . Have you done this passage before?
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 18:00   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
Thanks, I look at this passage on "Passage Weather" quite a bit and it seems that weather windows are few and far between. We have done the Richards Bay to Capetown thing and i know that it is all a waiting game but there never seems to be a decent window outside of November . Have you done this passage before?
twice! you need to check the 5 day forcast and leave aruba when the winds around barranquilla/macuira peninsula are at their lightest,this is a wind acceleration zone,resulting in the stronger the wind blowing into the gulf of panama,the stronger the counter current,as the water gets forced back out.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 18:42   #33

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
We are planing on doing Grenada to the ABC'S then on to Cartehenga and San Blas leaving early August from Grenada. My understanding was that once you leave Aruba you should go to the 2000 metre line to avoid the steep inshore waves . I have heard so many horror stories about the passage between Aruba and Cartehenga . More info on how you could "almost day hop" to Santa Marta would be appreciated.
The weather guys are wrong on this. Closer to shore is definitely better. Offshore you will have the full brunt of the winds from the Columbia low pressure system. Also, you will be directly in the commercial shipping lanes and dodging large ships constantly.

Look here for day hopping info: CRUISING THE COAST OF COLUMBIA

I recommend NOT following their advice for day hopping. Get a good weather window and go all the way - at least to Santa Marta - after that it is much easier. The windows close fast, and many people who try to day hop get caught for weeks in sketchy coastal bays getting beat up badly. Besides, the bays they talk about are not very interesting or beautiful and are isolated in a not good way.

With a good 2-3 day window, this trip is a piece of cake. Just wait for the winds to be 15-20 (any direction but West, of course) and you will have a great sail and nice trip.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:47   #34

Boat: a sailing boat

2000 meters (???) well ...

I have heard about 200 line, but only in relation to Vizcaya and RSA Eastboard shelves. Bottom config and wx/waves config are very different there.

Sounds the 2000 metre line is a part of a different story. Or a miscomm.

You may notice that the Low that creates this specific blow does tend to drift seaward creating lighter winds inshore. Follow the pattern online or download some long term gribs and you will see how this works for/against your plans.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama