Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2011, 13:30   #1

Boat: Catalina 42
St Martin to Antigua Feb 2012

Hi, we are chartering from Oyster Pond in early Feb on a 39' sloop for two weeks to Antigua. We'd appreciate any advice on must do locations along the way and typical weather, sea conditions. We are first time posters and look forward to connecting with the CF community. Cheers from cold lake Ontario
4deck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 14:17   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Re: St Martin to Antigua Feb 2012

Well winds can be quite Blustery - Christmas Winds and all of that, In 2011 they were still blowing in April and you are probably going directly UPWIND to get to Antigua so expect some pain. You have a reason for going to Antigua? Sitting in NSVG BVI waiting till tomorrow or Monday to cross to St Martin 15 knots N would be nice but it looks like all we will get is NE and then maybe E for a few hours GRRRRRR

Have a look in at Five Islands Bay when you get to Antigua and go over to Tintamarre either before or after you cross to Antigua Grand Case is nice too with wall to wall very nice restaurants.
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 18:27   #3

Thanks for the response. Antigua is south east of St Martin so I assume we will be on the beam or broad reach most of the way down. Am I off base with my assumptions?
Old 22-12-2011, 05:16   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Probably more like a close reach. We're experiencing the Christmas Winds right now--low 30's and gusty. Windfinder.com says 4 meter swells. You're likely to see the normal Trades in February (15-18 kts, ENE, E or ESE), though the Christmas Winds (really just a strong High in the mid-Atlantic) can blow just about any time. We had a few days of it in June one year.

Do you really plan to sail directly from St Maarten to Antigua? I think I'd spend a few days in St Martin then go over to St Barth with a lunch/snorkeling stop at Ile Forchue. Then down to Saba, or St Kitts and Nevis for a day or two. The price you would pay is a 45 nm upwind trip to Antigua from Nevis, which you can motor-sail in 10 hours or less. Of course, you can skip the islands in between and spend more on Antigua. The bays on the north and east sides are very nice, and a couple of days in Barbuda is fun, too. Very remote and isolated there, with the most turquoise water I've ever seen.
Old 22-12-2011, 05:43   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I agree with Hud3, by February the conditions will be a better for wind and swell. I'm in St. Martin now and the Christmas winds have arrived, but I've done the trip down to Antigua several times but only did it once non-stop and I missed the comfortable day-sails to St. Barths, Statia, St. Kitts, Nevis and then the upwind slog around the south of Nevis to Antigua. Those islands are pretty and break up a longer trip, at worst you could sail from St. Martin to the anchorage off Nevis for one night, thence to Antigua.
Old 22-12-2011, 07:15   #6

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

I've usually started from St. Barth's to get to Antigua. Don't miss the East side of the island; Nonsuch Bay is my favorite anchorage. Its blowing here right now. No charetr boaats have left Oyster Pond in the last couple of fays. A guy was surfing in the inlet two days ago. Seas are about 15 feet in the St. Barth's passage.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 22:09   #7

Your course to Antigua should be determined by the wind at the time. Predictions are hard to make, especially about the future. I think there will be a range of options available for you on this trip so you can make a game-day decision at the time. We did a round-trip voyage St Martin - Antigua last year in eight days. We spent a few nights on St Martin and then went to St Kits. We ran the Q flag and never left the yacht there. The next morning we sailed all the way to Antigua from there, passing through the Nevis Channel. We spent a few days and nights around Antigua and then did an overnight sail directly back to St Martin. It all went off without a hitch but I think we were lucky with the winds. When you get to Antigua make sure you clear in at Jolly Harbour. It's a much smoother process that in English Harbour. Antigua is fantastic so do your best to get there. Read a few guide books and pick out the activities that appeal to you. Have fun and please let us know how it goes!
luv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 22:56   #8

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
As for me it's predictions about the past that give me pause.
Sorry could not resist, please accept my apologies in advance.
Old 23-12-2011, 04:05   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Here are the historical wind stats for the month of February in St Maarten and Antigua...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StMaarten copy.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	35062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antigua copy.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	35063  

Old 28-12-2011, 14:31   #10

Thanks for the replies and information. we certainly hope to visit as many islands as practical over the 2 weeks. Lets hope for favourable and not Christmas winds….

Tags
Antigua