Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-05-2011, 10:33   #16

Re: St Martin Sailing vs BVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
That's a great program. Another CF member's daughter did that program a couple of years ago and apparently really had a great time and learned a lot. I followed their progress on the Broadreach website. They really allow the kids to grow skills and confidence by placing more and more responsibility on them as the cruise progresses. I recall that a tropical storm swept through while they were in St Lucia, but they just ducked into Marigot Bay and rode it out with no problems. Your daughter should have a blast!
And to complete the circle, my daughter was a Broadreach instructor for three or four years before she went into the Peace Corps.

Old 18-05-2011, 08:30   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Callisto - I stopped by but no one was home. Beautiful boat. Very fit.

To the Broadreach group - I'll give you an update after Elaina's trip.

We went diving Monday on the tug off Tintemarre and also Spanish Rock. It was actually better then I expected. There was a fair amount of colorful coral and a large amount of fish. Orient Bay moved back up one notch on my list. I still would recommend that anyone leaving their boat anchored lock it up. Anse Marcel is no doubt my favorite.

Nautical62 - What areas does the Moorings restrict? I have one of their breifing maps and the only restrictions are at Shoal Bay East on Anguilla and the North side of St. Bart's. Unless you have had someone guide you through Shoal Bay, it should be restricted for charter boats. The north side of St. Bart's in calm seas is very nice but not an overnight anchorage in pretty much any conditions. The gov restricts anchoring in St. Jean to day use boats but the locals fracture that rule quite a bit.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:44   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran
If you charter with the Moorings or Sunsail, you will go out of Oyster Pond. I've attached a Google Earth plan we did this last spring break. If you have Earth loaded, all you need to do is double click on the file and it will load. The itinerary worked very well for us.

We try to minimize our time on St. Martin/Maarten. Anguilla is our favorite. For water sports, if your a kiteboarder, the best spot is Orient Bay on French St. Martin. I can also recommend a dive company if you like do do that. Snorkeling is fair at best for all three of these islands. We don't find the restaurants to be worth the price. I bring down a full size cooler packed with all our meats and bulk cheeses the fill in with a trip to the Grand Marche.

If you book, let me know. I've been all around these three islands quite a few times and give you specific info at that time.
Our friends are concerned that the conditions may be to rough for them, any in site.
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:41   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

When are you looking at going?

Ultimately you are going to be sailing in open ocean swells that have come up on the continental shelf, so they can be bigger and more steep. Last New Years, it was a mess around there and you most likely would have spent half the vacation in the marina unless you where completely die-hard. But typically there is an "out". You can sail around to the South side of the island where you'll be in the lee, so it would be nice. You also could sail from there over to Anguilla and not be to exposed. If you can sail well, you will be ok 95% of the time. From January to April it typically is very good and reliable. December ?.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 12:11   #20

Boat: No boat.....yet.

We have done two bareboat charters out of St. Martin through VPM Bestsail in Anse Marcel--small operation, friendly and reasonable. I highly recommend them. In fact these have been my only bareboat charters so far. The first trip (in April 2010), we did St Barts, Anguilla and finished with a one-way passage to Tortola--a magical moonlit downhill run. The second trip (Nov 2010) we went to Saba and St Barts. The Saba trip was challenging. It was pretty rough and we got some good experience picking up mooring balls in 18-20 knot winds and 6-8' seas. But you have lots of options. It it's rough, you can hang around the leeward side of St Martin and have a great time. If its calm, you can set off for Saba or St. Barts.

Tags
sailing, bvi, British Virgin Islands

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: