Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-01-2014, 11:20   #1

St. Martin Itinerary

Family trip this summer with Moorings / St. Martin and wondered if adding Saba as a destination is reasonable for a 9 day trip? I have been diving there and would love to get another one in while there. Last time to the area we didn't have a chance to get that far due to weather and time.

Regards,

Old 10-01-2014, 11:51   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: St. Martin Itinerary

While Mark is probably there, I'm only 70 miles away and awaiting a weather window for the uphill slog.

Saba is definitely a destination, but the open anchorage is only comfortable in flat and calm seas - which you might get in the summer. Alternatively, I believe that Octopus Diving out of Grand Case will head out there for dives. Grand Case is my favorite anchorage and I base myself out of there when in St. Martin. The diving at Turtle Reef and Creole Rock is easy and fun. Then there's the old tugboat wreck at Ile Tintamarre, which is a nice remote overnight destination all by itself. Then there's Ile Fourchue and St. Barths as well. I avoid the Dutch side (clearance is a hassle and they nickel-and-dime you to death) but with just Oyster Pond, Tintamarre, Pinel, Grand Case, Marigot on ST. Martin, then Fourchue and Colombier on St. Barths and perhaps an overnight at Saba your 9 days will remain exciting and full of adventure.

Old 10-01-2014, 14:01   #3

Boat: Oyster 575

I would definitely concur with Zanshin and go to St Barths. We loved it. Here are a few pics Juno: St Barths
Old 10-01-2014, 14:55   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, cteer.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 15:29   #5

Boat: Oyster 49

Zanshin. How difficult is it to get into Pinel with a 7'6" draft? Any concerns when there is a swell running, or anything that I should look out for? Have thought about trying to go iN there but haven't yet. I have Chris Doyle's guide, and reading that left me a it worried about trying it apart from in flat seas and low winds
Old 10-01-2014, 15:58   #6

neilsty - I haven't gone into Pinel (I have 8.5 feet draft) and only mentioned it because my friends who have been there say it is very nice - but they have a catamaran. I've sailed by Ile Pinel many times and the waters around it look very shallow. I would think that the Sunsail/Moorings chart briefings go into detail on it. I've met Chris and would take his word on the matter (I don't have that particular guide so can't see exactly what he wrote). I have to admit that going into Grand Case worries me, although it shouldn't; about a (subjective) kilometer out the depth goes to single digits in feet under my keel and I always feel like turning around in those shoaling waters but the depth remains constant to just a few yards from beach, it is the flattest approach I know of in the Caribbean and that sandy bottom makes for good holding, too.

I did a walkabout on Ile Tintamarre with other sailors last year and was surprised how nice it was, I had no idea until I read up on the subject that the island used to have a big airport on it! (see http://www.sv-zanshin.com/blogpages/...2012-03-13.php )
Old 10-01-2014, 21:37   #7

Boat: Leopard 48 Catamaran

I just spent 10 days in st Martin st barts and our favorite anchorage is grand case in st Martin and columbier in st barts. We overnight end at il pjnel as well but we only draw 5.5 feet. We also hiked saba and came back in one day from st barts. St barts rolls as hell but stay to left of main channel. Farther from town but more comfortable. Check out my video of the trip at YouTube. My page is rksmtih5464. It's the 22 minute one.
Old 13-01-2014, 08:06   #8

Thanks everyone! Many options to consider and agree on some of the mentioned anchorages. As usual, I will figure out itinerary once we arrive and see what the weather has in store. Last time in St. Martin it was just my wife and I on a 36.6 and left Oytster Pond at the start of a 3 day Tropical Depression. Made for some interesting sailing, and anchoring, in Grand Case. Hope to get to Saba as I would like to reconnect with some great folks we met on a land / diving trip a few years ago. Plus, I enjoy stretching the sailing out as much as possible.
Old 13-01-2014, 08:27   #9
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: St. Martin Itinerary

+A1 Zanshin..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 09:15   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
While Mark is probably there, I'm only 70 miles away and awaiting a weather window for the uphill slog.

re.
Theres a bit of north easterly tonight, so you could pull your finger out and get mobile!

Or thursday night and motor.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 11:42   #11

Mark, I'm going to do a night passage Thursday to Friday and motorsail. Winds down to 10-15 and just over a meter swell with hopefully that 12s period setting in sooner. If the long-term weather is right, it promises to become my easiest slog to St. Martin from the BVI but I don't really believe it yet. Then Grand Case yellow flag and a car rental for clearance, shopping and the usual bars (Lagoonie's, the bridge opening and then ribs at Barnacle's). See you there!
Old 14-01-2014, 15:11   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
usual bars (Lagoonie's, the bridge opening and then ribs at Barnacle's). See you there!
Lucky you didnt take my advice about doing it last night.
Blew like stink.

Remember the new dutch bridge opening time is 5pm, not 5:30!

I'll do a beer with you there and break a rib with you at Buccaneers, instead of Barnacles if you're interested/available.

Mark

Old 14-01-2014, 15:57   #13

I just beat up the outside of the BVI in 22-25 true (30+ indicated) today, so I really am glad I didn't try it! My shout at Bucanneer's it is!
Old 14-01-2014, 18:07   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Great!

Old 19-01-2014, 12:07   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsty View Post
Zanshin. How difficult is it to get into Pinel with a 7'6" draft? Any concerns when there is a swell running, or anything that I should look out for? Have thought about trying to go iN there but haven't yet. I have Chris Doyle's guide, and reading that left me a it worried about trying it apart from in flat seas and low winds

DON'T it is too shallow OR your draft is too much with just under 6 feet we are able "just' to be able to find a spot and have water under the keel. IF you want to be on that side of the island turn left and anchor off Orient Bay

Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
St Martin

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: