Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-09-2012, 07:41   #1

Boat: Vagabond 42
St Martin French side bridge and channel into Simpson Bay Lagoon

I have to take my boat around from Anse Marcel to Simpson Bay Lagoon to the SXM Shipyard to have the fuel in one tank polished. Going in the French side bridge looks a lot quicker than going all the way around. The charts show 6 but I have heard that the French side channel is shoaling and tricky. Anyone been through there recently?
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 09:05   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: St Martin French side bridge and channel into Simpson Bay Lagoon

That path is a tricky one, just as in the old movie "The Golden Child" where Eddie Murphy has to walk a precarious path on a rope bridge over an abyss and is told to "not leave the path" and when he decides to do so and the bridge burns up he is then told that "he has to know when to leave the path".
I've seen (and helped) a number of stuck boats between the last rusting hulk and the 90 degree bend to the bridge channel. My old 43DS with 6' 5 inches got stuck several times 2 years ago (after I'd sold her).
I'd take the long route around, it isn't that far to go around the headland and along the Cupecoy and other beachfronts. Entering the queue for the Dutch side is pretty simple as well.
One never knows if the French bridge is operating, earlier this year the bridge was down due to street works frying their electricity, and then the special parts flown in disappeared in transit so the bridge was closed for several weeks!

When the lagoon water is clear as it was a couple of months ago one could see the sandy shoals and I was worried about my dinghy engine grounding when zooming along just 20-30 feet from the channel.
-Zanshin (SV Zanshin)
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: