Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-10-2013, 16:01   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 37
Re: St. Lucie Inlet

Don
As a local I still call Tow Boat when returning from the Bahamas just in case something has changed. Otherwise you have been given sound advice. They do a good job of moving the buoys, just watch out for the dog leg between the iCW and inlet. The other spot is just past the intersection of the river/inlet and the ICW. Generally,( very generally speaking), favor the green side
I have been through a lot worse, I would take St. Lucie any day over Port Everglades

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 16:11   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusDreaming View Post
..................... I would take St. Lucie any day over Port Everglades
Please add a little explanation for this. Port Evergladges is a short, simple, well marked, class A-1 deep water channel with little effect of big tidal currents. There's way more traffic than St. Lucie with all the crusie ships, but easy routes on the edges away from the commercial vessels. Port Everglades is one of the easiest inlets on the whole US East Coast! What would you find as a problem?

Old 08-10-2013, 16:16   #18

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Have used it for 30 pus yrs. Pay good attention to the markers and not the 20 odd ft fishing boats. These guy's have a lot more latitude than you. On the falling tide the current will move you E & S. On the rising tide W & N slightly. Not a hard inlet to run once pass the Jetty's is where the channel and currents can be a little tricky.
Old 08-10-2013, 16:59   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Please add a little explanation for this. Port Evergladges is a short, simple, well marked, class A-1 deep water channel with little effect of big tidal currents. There's way more traffic than St. Lucie with all the crusie ships, but easy routes on the edges away from the commercial vessels. Port Everglades is one of the easiest inlets on the whole US East Coast! What would you find as a problem?
I have had my ass handed to me more than once from standing waves and boat wakes. Maybe not every time, but very often.
Being on a cat and not being able to bear off the waves, they tend to just slam the hell out of us.
The worst was when the anchor broke from it's bow tie and dropped over, LUCKILY, I also had it dogged off at the windlass, going forward to retrieve was not much fun, one of those don't want to, but got to things !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2013, 19:03   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

[QUOTE=JusDreaming;1359691 ................ standing waves and boat wakes........... Being on a cat and not being able to bear off the waves .................. the anchor broke from it's bow.............. [/QUOTE]

Maybe these are characteristics of the boat, anchor mount, weather, current and other traffic by consequence of your timing, but there's no question as to which inlet is the deeper, shorter, straighter and Class A-1 inlet. Take some wind opposing current with your anchor breaking loose while a big sportfish is throwing a wake and you would likey have some problems at St. Lucie too!
Old 08-10-2013, 19:19   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You are absolutely correct, it is deep and straight, and easy to navigate, but there is soo much traffic through there compared to St Lucie. It is just my opinion, and I still use it
Sorry Don for the thread theft
Old 08-10-2013, 19:24   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusDreaming View Post
You are absolutely correct, it is deep and straight, and easy to navigate, but there is soo much traffic through there compared to St Lucie.
I agree. Much of our opinion might be due to "home field advantage". Lauderdale is my hometown and I've used Port Everglades since the 1950's. I approach St. Lucie Inlet as an outsider with less local knowledge!
Old 08-10-2013, 19:42   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I've entered both St. Lucie and and Fort Pierce. For me it all depends on where I'm heading. If I'm leaving W.E. and heading north, Fort Pierce makes sense, but I wouldn't even consider using the Fort Pierce inlet if my intent was to head up the Okeechobee or remain in Stuart. The Fort Pierce inlet is a little more straight forward, but not enough so for base my decision on that factor.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: