Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 21:30   #1

St. Lucia south or Grenada north?

We are trying to decide whether to start a 7 day bareboat sail from St. Lucia south to the Grenadines or Grenada north? We like quaint beaches to stop at with a restaurant or two for a few nights of the trip. Is St. Lucia and St. Vincent too busy of islands? We will be going at the beginning of Feb. with 2 inexperienced couples. Thanks!
Flyf9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 22:11   #2

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: St. Lucia south or Grenada north?

Will you need to return to the base that you start from?
If it were me I'd start from Granada and go north..
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 22:40   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I'd second that and say start from Grenada. Grenada has a seriously large cruiser community with lots to do along the bays on the south coast.

And then the sail north to Carriacou (southernmost island of the Grenadines) is very enjoyable. If the weather holds, a stop at Ronde Island is really a treat. Also you can visit Carriacou and it northern companions Petite Martinique and Petite St Vincent without the need of "checking out/in" from Grenada. All of which is an awful lot of sailing for a week.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 00:03   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38ft cedar-strip custom design

I agree with the other two replies; definitely Grenada north. Not only can it get a bit rough in the acceleration zone off the north end of St Vincent, the deep anchorages are a little tricky too. Normal practice is to drop the hook and take a long stern line to a palm tree.
When sailing north from Grenada stay close to the coast as the current between Grenada and Carriacou will push you well to the west, so you'll be hard on the wind to get into Tyrrel Bay.
demacsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:21   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Flyf9.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:13   #6

Boat: HUNTER PASSAGE 450 "TARENTELA" & CHIEN HWA 35 TRAWLER "AVALON"

A 7 day cruise doesn't allow much time for travelling round trip from Grenada to St Lucia, or vice versa. Unless you are determined to sail as far as possible with little regard for enjoying your stops you might consider not going so far. If you depart from Grenada you probably won't want to go north of Bequia, which affords plenty of opportunity for a wonderfull fun filled charter. On the other hand if you depart from St Lucia you can cruise round trip to Les Saintes and have an equally enjoyable time. Both choices offer numerous locations to visit along the way. These are completely different so you should take a look at both before you make up your mind. It's not simply a matter of geographic location. I have spent my last 5 winters cruising the Windwards and Leewards and really enjoy a lot of each location. Regardless of what you decide, enjoy your trip.
YACHT TARENTELA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:27   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

we are doing an 8 day charter on November starting and ending in St Lucia. I haven't decided our plan yet, but we've considered just taking it easy and spending all the time on St Lucia. It seems there should be plenty to keep us busy.

We also considered a trip North to Martinique or a trip south as well. Still trying to decide though. What I've realized is that two weeks are more appropriate for that area.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:11   #8

Thank you all for the information. If we start in St. Lucia, we would go south to St Vincent, Bequia and another island then returning the boat in St. Vincent. If we start in Grenada, we would like to go north to the Grenadines and then return the boat to Grenada. It sounds like Grenada may be our better option. We would appreciate any more opinions and advice. Unfortunately a 1 week sailing trip is all of the time we have, so we are trying to decide the best way to maximize our time. The goal is to see the smaller islands in the area. Anyone have more favorite spots for our itinerary?
Old 02-10-2012, 07:15   #9

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

When heading south from St. Lucia we (and many others we know) skipped St. Vincent altogether because of security issues and sailed overnight straight to Bequia. Not sure if charters would allow that but there have been problems on the west coast of St. Vincent. I would either go from St. Lucia (from the charter base at marigot?) north to Rodney Bay and then to Marin on Martinique (only a few hours sail from Rodney Bay) or I would start in Grenada and hit the Grenadines. Either way you will have a good time.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:26   #10

Be shure to start a thread when your done..
I have been trying to set a trip from st Lucia to the grenadines for a few years now.
So far no luck not every one on board.
The closest I have come was a trip to st Lucia and a sun set sail.
Once out off the coast of the pitons you can see st Vincent and Martinique
Snorkeling was great at the base of petti piton and the night is filled with natures noise .. I loved it .. Have a good trip..
mbkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:28   #11

Ok. Good to know. We have not considered going north from St. Lucia. I will have to look into that.

Tags
Grenada