Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2014, 11:31   #211

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30
Re: St Lucia murder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I'll put that back at you. Who said "the Crown" will pay?

I didn't say the Crown will pay!! I only said that she is a key witness so you can't assume and state that travel will be on her dime. The fact is we don't know.
Old 23-01-2014, 11:39   #212
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Yes, you're probably right on the travel expense issue.

My main point was that she'll have to suffer the emotional distress and inconvenience of traveling back to St Lucia and testifying. Without her testimony, the perps may get off.
Old 23-01-2014, 11:47   #213

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Since the police say that the suspects are cooperating I would not assume anything about the widow being required to return; maybe yes, maybe no.

In my experience the British Caribbean islands have no problem in dealing robustly with this sort of thing. I might even be induced to a wager... (OK, tasteless, but IMHO easy money)

I think the important takeaway is that the robbers were NOT ARMED!!!! No knives or guns, according to the police. Strong locked hatches likely would have changed things. Before arming to the hilt please secure your boats from intrusions.

Greg
Old 23-01-2014, 12:07   #214

Boat: Valiant 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I bet when you were working in PNG you never went to bed with the front door WIDE OPEN?

Did you?
Exactly right!

Hence I added that I had no desire to repeat that experience of having to be constantly alert, watchful and in effect living in constant fear. I noticed a marked change for the worse in my attitudes to other people because of having to be constantly suspicious and untrusting. I think I became a very ugly person during those years as method of coping - as did all my mates.

For the 15 years since those days, I have lived and worked in various countries where I have never locked the doors - never had to. People there were decent human beings. My point being, why put up with the dregs of humanity when you have a mobile home and can move on to safer, nicer places with honest, decent human beings living there.
Old 23-01-2014, 12:31   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
Exactly right!

Hence I added that I had no desire to repeat that experience of having to be constantly alert, watchful and in effect living in constant fear. I noticed a marked change for the worse in my attitudes to other people because of having to be constantly suspicious and untrusting. I think I became a very ugly person during those years as method of coping - as did all my mates.

For the 15 years since those days, I have lived and worked in various countries where I have never locked the doors - never had to. People there were decent human beings. My point being, why put up with the dregs of humanity when you have a mobile home and can move on to safer, nicer places with honest, decent human beings living there.
i think that when you live in a area/neighborhood where everyone around you are equal and anything you somewhat desire is accessible well ya there is not much threat and no need to lock doors. If your parking a $200000 plus boat in someones front yard where these people dont have screens or glass in their window frames to keep bugs out well....i have always said to my wife not to leave money around the house because temptation can be overwhelming for even our own children !
Old 23-01-2014, 13:51   #216
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

There are many good point made on this thread,however, the reality is that St Lucia needs to send out a message to cruisers to reassure them that thier Island is a safe place to visit....its not a quesion of ¨this could happen anywhere¨...the truth i it has just happened there....a boost of all round confidence is seriously needed and thier top marketing people need to step forward now........
Old 23-01-2014, 13:57   #217

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablothesailor View Post
There are many good point made on this thread,however, the reality is that St Lucia needs to send out a message to cruisers to reassure them that thier Island is a safe place to visit....its not a quesion of ¨this could happen anywhere¨...the truth i it has just happened there....a boost of all round confidence is seriously needed and thier top marketing people need to step forward now........
If the government of St. Lucia tells you it's safe then "gosh darn" it is!!! Total confidence builder!
Old 23-01-2014, 14:01   #218
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablothesailor View Post
the reality is that St Lucia needs to send out a message to cruisers to reassure them that thier Island is a safe place to visit...
What do you propose, a public hanging or a beheading?
Old 23-01-2014, 14:14   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
What do you propose, a public hanging or a beheading?
That doesn't work there any more than it has anywhere else. Twenty years ago the UK tried very hard to discourage capital punishment in the Commonwealth countries. At the time an American woman had been killed in Trinidad and certain of her countrymen were quite indiscreet in calling for the death penalty in explicit terms. There were already more than 50 people awaiting execution - there was no need to say anything. It got a lot of locals upset to say the least. But note: those 50 impending executions did nothing to stop the attack.

Greg
Old 23-01-2014, 14:18   #220
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
My point being, why put up with the dregs of humanity when you have a mobile home and can move on to safer, nicer places with honest, decent human beings living there.
In my circumnavigation there wasnt too many anchorages where its safe to sleep totally unlocked. Some of the pacific islands, great barrier reef are Ok

But once into Asia one needed to be aware. We were on the pick in a bay where a man was murdered in malaysia, outlying island and all.
Eastern med, much better not to temp people, western med theres always someone on the 'make' somewhere.... The Caribbean is pretty safe in most parts but not 100%. New York and the USA I secured my hatches. Who wouldnt?

If one only sails in places where theres no chance of burglary at all then I wonder where that is?

I just dont see why we tempt people. In the dinghy dock I often go to, yesterday there was 8 dinghys, only 4 of them locked. But we have had a spate of robberies. People just dont seem to put 2 and 2 together when it comes to cruising.

The 'I'll be right, mate' pervades.

I'm not suggesting we live in floating fortresses, but secure the door into the companionway when you are asleep, thats all.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 23-01-2014, 14:24   #221

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
That doesn't work there any more than it has anywhere else. Twenty years ago the UK tried very hard to discourage capital punishment in the Commonwealth countries. At the time an American woman had been killed in Trinidad and certain of her countrymen were quite indiscreet in calling for the death penalty in explicit terms. There were already more than 50 people awaiting execution - there was no need to say anything. It got a lot of locals upset to say the least. But note: those 50 impending executions did nothing to stop the attack.

Greg
The pending executions did nothing to stop that single attack but they could have stopped 1 or 2 or 3 or...more additional other attacks.
Attacks that never were realized because of the threat of an execution if convicted.
Old 23-01-2014, 14:29   #222

I tend to agree with neelie to the extent that if having to take security precautions is onerous to you then better to not go there - meaning pretty much any far place. Consider that if the thought of stormy seas or a sinking concerns you how much fun cruising would be. I never found security burdensome - just another part of cruising safely, like having a liferaft and beacon. Keeping an eye out for pickpockets is little different than keeping a weather eye for squalls. But if it starts to spoil the cruise then better not go.

Greg
Old 23-01-2014, 14:36   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
The pending executions did nothing to stop that single attack but they could have stopped 1 or 2 or 3 or...more additional other attacks.
Attacks that never were realized because of the threat of an execution if convicted.
Yes, that is a common belief in the US and feels right to many. The problem is that it has precious little facts to support it. I go with facts to the extent that I can, and the facts aren't there in this case. Admittedly it is devilishly difficult to collect solid data, and cross-national data don't work well here because the US is such an outlier in gun ownership and other things that affect the murder rate. But I challenge you to provide evidence for your belief.

Greg
Old 23-01-2014, 14:41   #224

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Yeah, we here in the good ol' USA execute more people and throw more in jail then anywhere in the world, and yet we still have high crime rates and very violent crimes.
Old 23-01-2014, 14:41   #225
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

Does anyone know if the Pratts were ¨Locked in¨thier boat when boarded?
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, St Lucia