Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2014, 14:01   #151

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: St Lucia murder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Likewise, the intruders can pour gas in the Companion way and light a match. It serves both ways.
They could also use a nuclear hand grenade (purchased from the Russian Mafial)...

These chaps aren't assassins, they're thieves! Let's not get carried away by our imaginations.

Jim
Old 22-01-2014, 14:26   #152
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
They could also use a nuclear hand grenade (purchased from the Russian Mafial)...
Nuclear hand grenade, really

Defeats the purpose and makes it pretty to get away
Old 22-01-2014, 14:36   #153

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Nuclear hand grenade, really

Can be amphibious tank with some AP rockets if You wish
Old 22-01-2014, 14:41   #154
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Can be amphibious tank with some AP rockets if You wish
I was thinking more in line with radar and heat seeking auto targeting twin 50mm rail guns!
Old 22-01-2014, 14:53   #155

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Someone cant use a knife or a tomahawk through a secured companionway. But you can sure use gas!

Gas, gell and flares go though. So you can remain safe inside while the bad guys are on the outside.

I have never heard of an attack, or injuries, on a cruising boat where the people were locked inside at night. People lock up at home but not cruising. Why not????
Hey Mark,

As I stated in an earlier post I hope the boarders don't get their hands on your dink gas when you use the bear spray on them. I think a squirt or two of gasoline through that beautiful grille work would get me out on deck real fast. And have you checked how strong that aluminum extrusion the grille slides into is? But then again, most of those boarding usually are barefoot so you might be ok.
Old 22-01-2014, 15:10   #156

Boat: 1984 Cal 35 Mk II - - Hull #85

MarkJ:

I like the Hatchway Bars... I notice you made them one piece - any thoughts on a 2 piece setup (easier storage)?

Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/CaptainRickoAndTheSvTikiNotion
Old 22-01-2014, 15:31   #157
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Hey Mark,

As I stated in an earlier post I hope the boarders don't get their hands on your dink gas when you use the bear spray on them. I think a squirt or two of gasoline through that beautiful grille work would get me out on deck real fast. And have you checked how strong that aluminum extrusion the grille slides into is? But then again, most of those boarding usually are barefoot so you might be ok.
Don't be ridiculous. Mark has the right idea... to keep the bad guys out and make himself a less desirable and more difficult target. Fighting through the companionway bars with gas... that's a little weird too.

My gutt feeling... when the thieves encounter the companionway bars, they'll move on to another boat without the bars.
Old 22-01-2014, 15:58   #158
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Hey Mark,

Hi rick

It beats F All. And thats how most cruisers anchor, including everyone killed that I know of. They had F All security.

And ehy would the attackers alert everyone to what they are doing by lighting up the place with flames?
What can they steal from a burnt out boat?

Finally, of course I can get out if there is a fire. They still wouldnt get any money because it would be burnt. So there no cost:benifit for the criminals to be stupid.

The screen is armoured. A boot wont go throug it. And only a moron would get on and try when theres other boats in the anchorage with no security whatsoever.

@ Cpn Ricko, yes you can have them made anyway you like them. I took my companionway door in for them to use as a template.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 22-01-2014, 16:08   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Don't be ridiculous. Mark has the right idea... to keep the bad guys out and make himself a less desirable and more difficult target. Fighting through the companionway bars with gas... that's a little weird too.

My gutt feeling... when the thieves encounter the companionway bars, they'll move on to another boat without the bars.
I think once they get aboard you're in trouble. The bad guys are committed. Don't think the metal grill will do much. The slider is plexiglass with a two cent lock held in with 5/8" screws. Is the slider metal too? But if it makes you feel more secure, fine.

In the latest attacks the boarders do not appear to be afraid of noise. They are not cat thieves. They come aboard and in some cases bash the occupants around to get at the "secret" stash of cash or valuables.

One good hammer blow will open most companionway hatches, metal or not. It's not like a safe room in a freighter or mansion.
Old 22-01-2014, 16:16   #160

Boat: Charter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Someone cant use a knife or a tomahawk through a secured companionway. But you can sure use gas!
I think what he meant is that the grill would allow his gas to escape, and it smells so bad it would drive anyone away.
Old 22-01-2014, 16:17   #161

Boat: 45ft Ketch

They were delayed in leaving which means there may have been an official who was an accomplice who fingered them as worth robbing.

One of my neighbours wondered why they had been told to anchor a little way off from the other boats................They found out. (It was Panama.)
Old 22-01-2014, 16:19   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec906 View Post
I think what he meant is that the grill would allow his gas to escape, and it smells so bad it would drive anyone away.
Must be the homebrew.
Old 22-01-2014, 16:36   #163

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
I think once they get aboard you're in trouble. The bad guys are committed.
One good hammer blow will open most companionway hatches, metal or not. It's not like a safe room in a freighter or mansion.
Completely disagree. Soldiers are committed, and police in some places. Thieves? They are committed to themselves - any credible threat or obstacle does deter most of them. They do not want to risk their lives for some loot, and they sure don't want to go to jail.

While it is true that most companionway hatches are easily broken through, my argument (and Mark's) is to change that by hardening and locking them. At the very least you will have time to prepare whatever defense you have when confronted with armed robbers. But most crime is simple thievery by sneak thieves, and they aren't about to do something that will put them in front of an angry sailor.

No defense is perfect, but most crime can be eliminated by simply hardening access. If you lose the lottery and are confronted with heavily armed desperadoes in an isolated anchorage then you are going to be a victim short of possessing an arsenal. But this is the least likely scenario, if also the scariest. And certainly not an argument against a good hatch.

Greg
Old 22-01-2014, 16:44   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
While it is true that most companionway hatches are easily broken through, my argument (and Mark's) is to change that by hardening and locking them.
Greg

How is an open metal grill any stronger than the heavy plexiglass hatchboards that are standard on Beneteau 393's?
Old 22-01-2014, 16:45   #165

Boat: Valiant 50

Bluntly, is there anywhere in the Caribbean where one can live a normal relaxed life instead of bolting everything down and locking one's self in every night? I suspect that this may be a much shorter list than the no-go islands list.

There are plenty of other places in the world with clear water and coral and with decent human beings living there that it now begs the question - why even bother cruising in the Caribbean? What is the point in living in fear behind a cage, sleeping next to a can of bear spray?

Tags
cruise, cruiser, St Lucia