Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2014, 08:43   #1

St. Lucia In March

Has anyone bareboat chartered in St. Lucia Grenadines? I was thinking of heading down with my wife and 2 older kids (18 and 16) in March. We will only have late Saturday (most likely and Sunday start, and have to fly out the following Saturday. Is this doable? If so, any recommendations beyond Moorings? What are the conditions like? I have heard it can be very windy.
pnalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 09:03   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: St. Lucia In March

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnalen View Post
Has anyone bareboat chartered in St. Lucia Grenadines? I was thinking of heading down with my wife and 2 older kids (18 and 16) in March. We will only have late Saturday (most likely and Sunday start, and have to fly out the following Saturday. Is this doable? If so, any recommendations beyond Moorings? What are the conditions like? I have heard it can be very windy.
In the lee of the islands it's ok but can get a bit bouncy going to St. Vincent and then again between St Vincent and Bequia. You really need a couple of weeks to do this trip. Maybe you can get a one way.

Haven't been that way for a while but there must be a few charterers out of St Lucia but for such a short period you might be better in BVI.
Old 24-11-2014, 10:05   #3

Boat: Boatless

Horizon charters in Grenada are a good outfit and you can easily sail to the Grenadines and back in a week missing out St Lucia

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 10:05   #4

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

The weather might randomly be kind of yucky to hop between islands from St Lucia. We met some charter folks in the Grenadines who had sailed from St Lucia. They had a bad time on the way down, and really were not looking forward to the trip back up, but had to go the next day.

Everyone is different, but St Lucia is one of our least favorites. I don't feel it's that interesting by itself, if you don't go somewhere else.

Martinique has a string of super cute little tourist beach towns. We spent a lot of time wandering around those, eating at the delicious French beach restaurants.

We also really enjoy the islands around Guadeloupe -- Les Saintes, Marie-Galante. More of a rural feel.

Or Antigua. You could hop up to Barbuda if the weather is nice, but the reefy islands on the SE and NE side are also fun and plenty to explore for a week, if the weather is stronger. The boating officials there have a short fuse, so do everything right.

I guess there's a reason so many people charter in the BVI.
Old 24-11-2014, 10:08   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

We have a boat in Moorings in St. Lucia and we're going to go use it this November, but our trip was a Sat-Sun. Given travel time..etc we decided we'd just go to the BVI instead as it gave us more time to enjoy. We've done an 8 day trip there before, but I feel you need more time.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 10:27   #6

While St Lucia is nice, I kinda feel there is not a lot to do there... pretty limited. I agree with others to start out somewhere else.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 15:35   #7

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

There’s a couple of interesting ports in St. Lucia, but we found St. Vincent (Wallilabou Bay), Bequia, Mystique and Tortuga Keys great spots to sail and explore in March.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 10:27   #8
Marine Service Provider

March is a good time to sail in the Windward Islands. If you want to get to the Grenadines, you should consider starting in Grenada. Easier access to the Grenadines and easier air access to the island.

I just did a seven day trip out of St. Lucia last week sailing up to Martinique. That was fun - but if you want the Grenadines - you are going to be putting in a lot of miles to make it down and back.

Check out our website www.LTDsailing.com. Primarily we do sailing instruction, but we also do charter brokerage. We can probably save you some money over the prices you will get from Sunsail / Moorings.

Beam winds,

Chris
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, St Lucia