Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2017, 08:59   #1

Boat: Bristol 38.8
St. Kitts - Duty on Boat Parts?

Does anyone know if you have to pay duty carrying boat parts/spares/equipment into St.Kitts by air from the US?

Thanks!
GrahamO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 12:32   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: St. Kitts - Duty on Boat Parts?

It depends entirely on the customs agent you get. I used to live on Nevis, and brought in a large duffel full of boat stuff. The agent, a young kid, pawed through it a bit, but didn't charge any duties.

If your agent does try to charge you, ask him if you can file an exemption for a "yacht in transit", assuming you'll be moving on after your tourist visa expires. You'll need your clearance form from when you cleared into St Kitts, and the customs agent should be able to supply the exemption form. I never needed one for Nevis, but I did file one in Antigua.
Old 16-08-2017, 02:00   #3

Thanks Hud3, i wish I could find out what the actual duty rules are. I am planning to carry in several thousand dollars worth of gear and I don't want to be dependent on good luck... i did that in the Bahamas and it cost me an absolute fortune. I know I can safely ship to St Martin but that costs a lot more than hand carrying to the boat. I have my clearance in papers with me. What to do?.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
It depends entirely on the customs agent you get. I used to live on Nevis, and brought in a large duffel full of boat stuff. The agent, a young kid, pawed through it a bit, but didn't charge any duties.

If your agent does try to charge you, ask him if you can file an exemption for a "yacht in transit", assuming you'll be moving on after your tourist visa expires. You'll need your clearance form from when you cleared into St Kitts, and the customs agent should be able to supply the exemption form. I never needed one for Nevis, but I did file one in Antigua.
Old 16-08-2017, 09:21   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I have shipped items to St. Martin several times using a cargo company in Europe once but otherwise sticking to Tropical or 4-Star-Cargo. It is dirt cheap and you'll never have to worry about some customs official deciding to make an example of you.
Basically with 4-Star you send your items to an address in Florida, then choose whether to air-freight or ship it from the to SXM. Shipping will take a week, air-freight a day.
Since most boats will stop in St. Martin to take of chandlery or provisioning anyway I would not want to risk it.
Old 01-09-2017, 15:40   #5

Thanks Zanshin, I have been talking to 4-Star and they are very helpful.
Old 01-09-2017, 16:10   #6

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

I can put you in touch with my broker in St. Kitts. Tell him you are a foreign vessel in transit undergoing repairs in SKMW. Also talk to Budget Marine, they may be able to supply you at tax exempt prices based on your boat registration. My boat is in SKMW also.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:38   #7

Boat: Vagabond 42

I have kept my boat in the Caribbean for more than 20 years. This is exactly why I avoid leaving the boat on English islands. Their business models are based on dutys and tariffs. Been hassled in Antigua, Anguilla, St Kitts and Granada about bringing in stuff for the boat even when clearly marked "for US vessel in transit". Given the situation in my favorite port, St Martin, I might have to relent and go back to Antigua and just pay the assessments for a season.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 00:55   #8

Are the French islands as bad as the English?

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistov42 View Post
I have kept my boat in the Caribbean for more than 20 years. This is exactly why I avoid leaving the boat on English islands. Their business models are based on dutys and tariffs. Been hassled in Antigua, Anguilla, St Kitts and Granada about bringing in stuff for the boat even when clearly marked "for US vessel in transit". Given the situation in my favorite port, St Martin, I might have to relent and go back to Antigua and just pay the assessments for a season.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:09   #9

Masonc,
I had not thought of an agent. How much does that end up costing? According to Reg at SKMW the worst case duty is 6% of declared value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
I can put you in touch with my broker in St. Kitts. Tell him you are a foreign vessel in transit undergoing repairs in SKMW. Also talk to Budget Marine, they may be able to supply you at tax exempt prices based on your boat registration. My boat is in SKMW also.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:19   #10

Boat: Vagabond 42

No.the French islands usually have no dutys or they respect the "vessel in transit" designation. St Martin is a duty free port and there are never any customs hassles.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 05:01   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
Masonc,
I would very much like your broker's info if possible thanks. We seem to have gotten away with it this time but it is all a bit chilling. we are not at all sure how to approach the season.
Old 25-09-2017, 05:19   #12

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Call Collin
https://www.google.com.ag/maps/place...sXBigQ_BIIdDAP
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 07:27   #13

Quote: