Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2013, 09:44   #1

Boat: O'Day 34 Sloop
South From St. Thomas, VI Recommendations

HI: I have a couple weeks vacation + weekend before and weekend after (14 days total) that I wish to take in December and head to a southern destination from St. Thomas, VI and back. It appears that the Easterlies would allow an easy sail anyplace in an arc from Trinidad westward. I have been to Aruba but wasn't impressed (Not on my boat, however) and wanted to explore someplace fun for a few days. Any recommendations? The ABCs perhaps, Anyplace on coast of Venezuela that you would recommended? I have a well equipped 34' sloop.
KevinDowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 09:53   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: South From St. Thomas, VI Recommendations

Hi Kevin! I'm not so sure about Venezuela's coast for anything interesting. In my opinion, sailing the Grenadines would be a better destination. Some islands in the Grenadines rival the beauty found in the Maldives atolls (Indian Ocean), but less so than in the South Pacific. Sail away!

Mauritz
Old 26-07-2013, 10:26   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57

It is a relatively long way from St. Thomas down to the coast of South America - what's wrong with doing St. Thomas - {BVI} - St. Martin - St. Barths - Antigua - Guadeloupe - {Les Saintes} - Dominica?
Old 26-07-2013, 10:58   #4

Boat: O'Day 34 Sloop

Hi, thanks for the reply. I live in St. Thomas and am a frequent visitor to BVI (Anegada is my favorite spot) but would like some relatively longer distance sail destination. Normally take it right on the head to points more east than south so seeking a "reach" destination. One of my buddies went to Curacao and made me hunger for some open water travel. Perhaps St. Martin, Dominica better for a first longer trek.
KevinDowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 11:10   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Once you make it to St. Martin the other island more to the south are a piece of cake, it is the 90 mile uphill slog to St. Martin that is a lot of work (comparatively). I only did St. John -> Marigot one time, it is easier to clear in/out of the BVI from the North Sound at Gun Creek and then hit St. Martin from the north end of Virgin Gorda.

If you want open water, you could probably lay a heading from St. Thomas to either St. Kitts or Nevis on one tack - that's a long blue water sail and then from there you could do easier sails southward.
Old 26-07-2013, 12:23   #6

Boat: Oyster 55

Sailed to the Venezuelan Archipelago of Los Roques and Las Aves last year from St. Lucia.
Absolutely fantastic !
Makes the Grenadines with it's crowed anchorages and boat boys look like a tourist trap. (never used to be that way, I first sailed the Grenadines in the late 70's)
But in Los Roques/Las Aves:
Unspoiled white sand beaches, crystal clear water, might not see another boat for days. Reef structure is quite extensive in some places so cannot trust your GPS only enter them with good sunlight and pick yourself through the maze. But you will be rewarded.
If you do not find any lobster on your own there will be an occasional fisherman who will gladly trade 4-5 for a 1/4 bottle of rum! Try that in the Grenadines however they are much easier to get to.
Let me know if you ever need more specific information.
Just remember if you go you are definitely "off the grid".
Good luck
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 07:54   #7

Boat: Kirié Feeling 446

Yes I agree Los Roques are by far nicer than the Grenadines.

The archipelago is quite safe and I understand it is now possible to clear in with customs and the 4 other authorities at Gran Roque. This is recent, it was not possible to clear in to Venezuela at Los Roques.

It should should be a four day sail from the BVI to Gran Roque. You cannot clear at Las Aves.
SaltyTanned is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men