Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2003, 12:04   #1

South Florida Sailing

I'd like to do some coastal cruising in South Florida, particularly from Miami to the Upper Keys. As I understand it, this area has relatively shallow water. Would a boat with a 5 foot draft be prohibitively deep for anchoring up close to islands in Biscayne Bay down into the Keys? Thanks for any help!
bluemarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 13:02   #2

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
BlueMarlin,

I've sailed the area that you're referring to aboard my 26 footer. She has a 3'2" shoal draft keel. I think you'll be fine sailing a boat with 5' of draft as long as you pay close attention to your charts.There are a lot of shallow areas all through the Keys, but it's a great area to sail, and isn't difficult if you use a little caution.The "creeks" that go from the Bay side, to the ocean need to be considered carefully. Some drop down to ~2' at low tide.I met a fellow cruiser at a place called "Pumpkin Key", close to Key Largo. His boat drew 5' and he didn't have any problems sailing the area. Good luck!
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 19:31   #3

bluemarlin.
I sail in the area you ask about every week and normaly use a 6 ft draft boat with a few bumbs here and there but never had a problem.However watch your water when getting to far to the west of your channel lines,mostly around the turkey creek power plant. Card sound and little card sound are pretty much open and i take up all of it while doing sail training .there are many mud flats to the east north of the channel north of pumkin key.after hundreds of nights on the hook at pumkin key i have only dragged a hand full of times.Its mostly mud and thick sea grass.

if i can help futher let me no.
lt4supr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida