Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 08:28   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountaine Pajot 41 Lipari 2013
South Carolina/Georgia

I am slowly and I mean slowly trying to get to Bahamas but the weather in the Northeast has me held up on Long Island waiting for this weather storm to pass. I would like to spend a month between North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. I am hoping to sail outside and not do the ICW. If I was to pick 2 spots in each state so 6 in total, what nice marina with amenities would you stay at. I am a 40 foot cat with 22 beam so that might make difference....
Old 03-11-2014, 03:54   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
Re: South Carolina/Georgia

Charleston definitely, Cape Lookout, NC if you want to anchor, Cumberland Is, GA again to anchor out, Fernandina Beach marina is just 7 miles south, St. Mary river is a good inlet except when a submarine is leaving then you'll have to give way
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:39   #3

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

Megadock in the City Marina, Charleston, on Ashley River. Not cheap, but walkable to every place. Same for Charleston Maritime Center on Cooper River. Other marinas are not within walking distance of downtown.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:48   #4

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

St. Marys, GA sponsors a Thanksgiving feast for cruisers every year. The town folk bring turkeys and ham. Cruisers bring veggies, bread, desert, and so forth. The marina at St. Marys is a bit iffy but there is plenty of room to anchor in the river.

Cumberland Island is a must see place.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:17   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Another vote for Cumberland Island. One of our favourite spots on the ICW and easily accessible from the outside, hust a short jaunt up the St. Marys River. No marina here though.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:00   #6

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Freedom View Post
I am slowly and I mean slowly trying to get to Bahamas but the weather in the Northeast has me held up on Long Island waiting for this weather storm to pass. I would like to spend a month between North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. I am hoping to sail outside and not do the ICW. If I was to pick 2 spots in each state so 6 in total, what nice marina with amenities would you stay at. I am a 40 foot cat with 22 beam so that might make difference....

Fun. Take your time and enjoy it.

First of all I'm going to recommend you take the Pamlico sound in lieu of the ICW. Head for manteo, then check out the park service docks at Ocracoke. From there you can check out oriental, and head down to Beaufort and cape Lookout. Cape lookout is a special place, kind of my home anchorage where I put out to sea at all times of day and night for many of my adventures, and where I've also ended offshore passages at all times of day and night. It is truly a seaman's anchorage, where the sailing fleets of the great world powers would drop the hook in 25' water, in an age since expired.

Lots of beach, more people than there used to be, but I still walk the beaches for long stretches and see no one, especially off season when I'm out the most. My family loves it there too.

Also while in NC, you may want to check out river dunes marina. It's near the confluence of lower broad creek and neuse river. Nice facilities, and some transportation to oriental with a loaner. It's ten min from oriental.

In South Carolina, I'm a big fan of cape romain. If you're a shallow draft boat, you,could pick your way around some creeks and do some oystering out in the areas where tidal flow is greatest. Cape island is there for walks.

Charleston is just a day from there, lots of options. The maritime center is cool for monos but no idea about 22' beam. It's the closest to town, and there's a good market nearby so plan to restock. Otherwise you can stay on the Ashley, or Charleston harbor marina.

In Georgia,my entire family loved Cumberland island. We spent a bunch of time there one winter. Don't want to miss Cumberland.

Hope you get some good weather, lots to look forward to along the way.

cheers-

Sent from my iSomething using tapatalk
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:16   #7

Boat: Tayana 37

The two Beauforts would be a nice place to stop for a while. You have the two city marinas there that are both excellent (and the SC one is cheap).

I might also want to stay in Thunderbolt, GA; you can easily take the bus five miles into Savannah and Thunderbolt itself has some amenities. The folks at Thunderbolt Marina are kind.

The Morningstar Marina at St Simons, GA is another friendly place. But I would not want to stay there long term unless I did not mind biking; it is about three miles from the marina into town.

I would also recommend the Charleston City Marina. They have a great shuttle and, as others have noted, it is also walkable to downtown.

If you are dead set on a marina, I would not go to St. Mary's. Lang's is a bit of a dump, and I found them to be less than forthright when I was trying to get gas and a pumpout. If you are not averse to anchoring out, St. Mary's is a great choice.

With the exception of Charleston City Marina, all of my above recommendations are based on my experiences with the marinas as a diesel or dinghy customer, as we anchor out nearly all the time. Have fun and safe travels.
Helbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:23   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountaine Pajot 41 Lipari 2013

Great info.....Thanks Everyone....
Old 04-11-2014, 09:00   #9

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helbent View Post
If you are dead set on a marina, I would not go to St. Mary's. Lang's is a bit of a dump, and I found them to be less than forthright when I was trying to get gas and a pumpout. If you are not averse to anchoring out, St. Mary's is a great choice.

Also, fernandina is pretty close by, and they have what appears to be a decent marina and mooring balls too. When we are at Cumberland is we usually go there for fuel, and shop at a publix, which if I recall, is not walking distance.

Sent from my iSomething using tapatalk
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgia