Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2016, 18:16   #1

Slip costs for family liveaboards

Hey everybody, I have searched the forum and the other places looking for some basic info (ballpark figures) for slip costs for long term stays in the BVI/USVI/other marinas nearby. We are thinking that for the first 6 months with young kids a marina would be a good transition (with occasional day or weekend trips) into the cruising life for convenience and just getting comfortable on the boat. We will be living on a 38-43ft monohull. I know that there are a ton of variables (water, electric, time of year, etc...) but any info/costs on marinas that seem to be family friendly would be great. We have heard Nanny Cay is a good option but even getting costs from them has been difficult with no return calls or emails at this point (maybe just busy). Thanks in advance for any and all info.

Cheers!
nicolettejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 19:22   #2

Boat: C&C 121
Re: slip costs for family liveaboards

Nanny Cay publishes rates on their website. I would not use the term "live aboard" when speaking with them.

John
Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 04:46   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, nicolettejo.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 07:15   #4

Re: Slip costs for family liveaboards

Paws, thank you for the heads up. I apologize as we are newbies to this lifestyle and forum. Is there a more appropriate term for living on your boat and renting a slip for a few months? Just cruisers? We are just working on our budget and just wondering where Nanny Cay stacks up cost wise. Thought this might be a good place to just get some feedback on rough estimates for other marinas. Thanks again.
Old 20-02-2016, 07:34   #5

Some marinas will have a maximum amount of time they let you stay on the vessel within a given period of time. The term, liveaboard can have a negative stigma, easier to just read the fine print or moorage rules if listed. On the west coast of NA south of Ca, most marinas are attached to a resort of some kind. they tend to be very expensive In the high season, nov-may, then cut their rates dramatically for the rest of hurricane season.
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 09:10   #6

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolettejo View Post
Hey everybody, I have searched the forum and the other places looking for some basic info (ballpark figures) for slip costs for long term stays in the BVI/USVI/other marinas nearby. We are thinking that for the first 6 months with young kids a marina would be a good transition (with occasional day or weekend trips) into the cruising life for convenience and just getting comfortable on the boat. We will be living on a 38-43ft monohull. I know that there are a ton of variables (water, electric, time of year, etc...) but any info/costs on marinas that seem to be family friendly would be great. We have heard Nanny Cay is a good option but even getting costs from them has been difficult with no return calls or emails at this point (maybe just busy). Thanks in advance for any and all info.

Cheers!
Have stayed in Nanny Cay for repairs and many other places in the Virgins. Nice Marina. Biggest variation on costs is the time of year, costs drop to half in the off season. Rates are competitive, all much the same, you'll need to call a few for current rates, they'll get back to you eventually.
Biggest draw to the Virgins is the ease and economy of anchoring.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 09:14   #7

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws View Post
Nanny Cay publishes rates on their website. I would not use the term "live aboard" when speaking with them.

John
I would suggest all cruisers in the Caribbean are live aboard and Marinas expect them to be.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 10:31   #8

Boat: Leopard 40

There are really no good liveaboard options in the USVI or the BVI for children as far as I can see. But, get on the FB page for liveaboards. Someone there might know.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 10:45   #9

Boat: Ohlson 29

WIndtraveler and some others are currently living in Nanny Cay. WT has 3 small kids and from what I can tell from all their posts, there is no shortage of kids.

Most visiting boats there will be cruisers so I doubt marina's have an issue with cruisers
When contacting marina's, you're asking as cruisers, not liveaboards as you're not looking for residency.
Old 20-02-2016, 20:27   #10

Off the subject but I can't figure out to put a post on this site. When I bought my used MacGregor it come with a round thing with a rope attached to it. It looks kind of like a globe. It is aprox 12" in diameter with 3 circles, two intersecting each other and one running horizontal. What is this for?
thericksster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 22:03   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thericksster View Post
Off the subject but I can't figure out to put a post on this site. When I bought my used MacGregor it come with a round thing with a rope attached to it. It looks kind of like a globe. It is aprox 12" in diameter with 3 circles, two intersecting each other and one running horizontal. What is this for?
anchor ball daylight signal in black plastic

http://www.piratescave.co.uk/folding...FdYy0wodBX8NQQ

or radar reflector if in aluminium sheet
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 09:06   #12

Boat: C&C 121

Yes, when a marina offers mail service it tells you they expect you to be aboard. In fact, most marinas in the VI require that you be on board most of the time. with that said, there is a perception difference between cruiser and live aboard (I've done both)

Not sure Nanny Cay is perfect for kids as it s a bit isolated. Also, depending on nationality the USVI may make the transition a bit easier.

John
Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 09:39   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolettejo View Post
Paws, thank you for the heads up. I apologize as we are newbies to this lifestyle and forum. Is there a more appropriate term for living on your boat and renting a slip for a few months? Just cruisers? We are just working on our budget and just wondering where Nanny Cay stacks up cost wise. Thought this might be a good place to just get some feedback on rough estimates for other marinas. Thanks again.
Hi Nicolette,

The term liveaboard is correct. I think the point Paws was trying to make when he suggested not using the term liveaboard, is that some marinas don't publically encourage long term liveaboards. If you show up, keep the boat and dock area clean, don't make a lot of noise and generally act responsibly then most will allow you to stay long term and "stay on the boat".
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 15:10   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 523

You might want to consider St. Martin. I haven't been to both of the areas for five years, but St. Martin is only ninety miles south and had lots of marinas, the safety of the lagoon, great service's, a vhf net w a kids segment and a lot more kids.
dallycally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 10:13   #15

Thanks for the info. I will look into st Martin a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
family, liveaboard