Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 11:45   #46

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Single Hand? Is it possible?

Lots of good advice here.

Personally I don't think the choice of boat or rigging is critical. Of course some boats are laid out to be easier for single-handing or short-handing but nearly anything will do (that would otherwise make a good cruiser). My cutter doesn't have any roller-furling, and hoisting/setting/reefing the main is done at the mast - and I have done a fair amount of soloing with her.

The main issue is you: your health, fitness, sailing abilities, navigational skills, maintenance/repair abilities, etc. If you are prepared to safely skipper a cruiser then adapting to single-handing is mostly a matter of thinking things through before doing them. Just be brutally honest with yourself about your readiness, start out with baby steps and an abundance of caution, and gradually stretch to larger challenges.

Good luck,

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:03   #47

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailsarefull View Post
Hey everybody,
My first post and questions? I am retiring and looking to buy a sailboat. In my previous younger life I built sailboats and lived aboard for a year. Have dreamed of returning to the sailing life. Now is the time. I have some questions for those experienced.
1. Going to be solo, until I meet the right woman.
2. Looking at 35-37' boats, monohull, full-keel.
Goal is to buy in the NE, take the Atlantic coastalway down to Florida and cross gulfstream there to Bahamas.

???Is it feasible to do this solo? If not, can certainly find friends to join me. Is it feasible to handle that size boat solo? Is it safe/feasible to sail the islands solo?
I appreciate any feedback. I hear alot of stories both pro-con about it. But, I want an adventure and warm weather.
Thanks,
John
~~Sure is, more than feasible, you'll have fun doing it. I sailed my Irwin43 from Great Lakes to Caribbean essentially single handed, a distance of 3500 miles, Was in no hurry and met many good hearted souls along the way.
When you think about it, it's not safe to sail alone; however, has never stopped me. When I did take on crew for a short hop they were more trouble than they're worth.
Go for it and hope you find the right woman; I did~
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 14:17   #48

Boat: Nonsuch U30

get a "spot" just in case something should go wrong.
Sdwcheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 14:56   #49

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Soloing empowers
Teaming up, enriches
Do both :-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 15:06   #50

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Lots of good advice here.

Personally I don't think the choice of boat or rigging is critical. Of course some boats are laid out to be easier for single-handing or short-handing but nearly anything will do (that would otherwise make a good cruiser). My cutter doesn't have any roller-furling, and hoisting/setting/reefing the main is done at the mast - and I have done a fair amount of soloing with her.

The main issue is you: your health, fitness, sailing abilities, navigational skills, maintenance/repair abilities, etc. If you are prepared to safely skipper a cruiser then adapting to single-handing is mostly a matter of thinking things through before doing them. Just be brutally honest with yourself about your readiness, start out with baby steps and an abundance of caution, and gradually stretch to larger challenges.

Good luck,

Greg
Love it.
considering lines-to-the-cockpit as the quintessential solution for solo is no good to me.
working at mast is better, more stable, and crucial, simplifying lines.

a good autopilot is key.

more important are:

cutter rig
fractional sail plan
Reducing sails ahead of time
ManAging watches&rest
Storm sails, real ones
Getting help when at dock
Accepting to sail a bit under performing
Accepting to wait for 'right' sailing conditions
Planning for slow, not floppy, execution
planning routes in accordance

Hope you find your F soul soon
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 15:57   #51

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Sailsarefull,

Welcome aboard.

Well, yes, that's a nice size boat to manage by yourself, even smaller would be good at haul out time.

However, the critical part of the whole deal is you. Are you content to take the risks of not maintaining a proper watch? taking crew (friends you mentioned) can address that, for the overnight parts. Is your physical health good? Are you reasonably strong? I'm thinking you understand boats, but what do you know about seamanship? How good are you at figuring out weather patterns?

Please excuse the somewhat confronting tone, but there's a lot of "sure you can do it, do it now" advice on CF, when someone then leaves ill prepared and has to be rescued:
how to encourage, but also bring up important issues is my problem. The ultimate fact is that being out on the water, you're in an environment that can kill you and it's up to you to make it as safe as you want it to be--on land, you may walk away.

Being able to keep up your boat is going to help a lot, and your projected itinerary is not too challenging, in season.

Ann, cruising full time since March 1989
I think Ann is correct. I plan on slipping over the horizon myself on a Tartan 40. I have been mucking around on boats most of my life, mainly as a fairly hard core racer. As a result, I am long on performance skills and short on what I think are necessary cruising skills. You will figure out the boat handling. You will figure out docking and anchoring. But what you MUST have before going to sea, IMHO, is the ability to get a diesel running; your electrics running, how to navigate without GPS, and how to read a weather map. Those are prerequisites. But they are learnable and fun to learn so don't worry, just do it! Have fun!
ob44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 16:02   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdwcheney View Post
get a "spot" just in case something should go wrong.
With all respects, get an EPIRB or at least a PLB. SPOTs are not designed for rescue devices.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 17:36   #53

A self tacking boom design on a boat like a cat ketch really makes solo sailing easy as well.
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 17:44   #54

Boat: ALBERG 30

I am a singlehanded sailor, self taught, from day one. Just be prepaired to be pushed to your limit more than you can imagine if you do any long (24 hrs or more) crossings. Things come that you can not even imagine in your wildest dream. But it will be fun if it does not turn you against the sea. I love every minute of my solo sailing now but it was not always that way. It really makes you appreciate when you get the opportunity to crew with other sailors. DO NOT LEAVE PORT WITHOUT AN EPIRB!!!!!!
JUNKFLYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 18:50   #55

Boat: B-411 .. #14

Enjoy I was Crazy but sold house bought used B 411 Long Island and sailed South. The ICW is a learning Curve and you will get stuck in the Sand No big deal took 3 months and a lot of stops Get comfortable learn the important parts If the dock doesn't look right go around again I did 3 .. 36 hr solos outside and was really great till I got inside. Really tired. 3 years experience now Go anywhere, I got a great CoPilot from this website to go from Key West to Belize. Just be prepared to fix things in Bad spots, still me and the Dog and every day can be an adventure with many great people. I am 63 and enjoy life one day at a time ... Roller furling Main and Jib
Chkm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 00:39   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I think your size is pretty good for single handing. What do you get going from 35 ft to 42? ........a second head.
The second head comes when you go from 57 to 62+ and another hundred grand.
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:20   #57

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I prefer a heavier boat when I'm single handing. They're more predictable and they don't get blown around as much. They give you more time to stop, put it in neutral and run and grab a line before they blow away.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I second this and would add basically the same for a full keel. A steady boat that can us passive storm tactics is more important single handing or shorthanded. For me the ideal would be 35-38ft cutter headed ketch, deep forefoot long or full keel with transom hung rudder (or full skeg). Don't worry about handling but if needed book a day course. It is just technique. I have a long keel heavyweight and she turns within 1.5 boat lengths no problems although there are some limitations reversing. If needed the dockmaster will always meet you to assist. Setting the boat up for it is key to success. Everything from sail trim to seeing the instruments from your bunk is important but is individual to you and the boat.
The only issue I find single handing is missing company when in port.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:31   #58

Boat: catalina capri 18

"Sure. Learn how to use a midship spring line for docking and you're there.

Docking 101 DOCKING 101 -- Mid Ship Cleat and Aft Spring [includes a link in Reply #1 to a very good single handed topic]
"

Stu-

This was really helpful but in all the discussion I missed the details about where to buy and how to include the snubber with the springline, can you elaborate on that? I've never seen one before, it looks like a black rubber tube with two heads each having a hole for the line that then is wound around the neck between the heads, where would that be bought from? and is it just called a marine snubber? a springline snubber?
Ceawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:34   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceawolf View Post
This was really helpful but in all the discussion I missed the details about where to buy and how to include the snubber with the springline, can you elaborate on that? I've never seen one before, it looks like a black rubber tube with two heads each having a hole for the line that then is wound around the neck between the heads, where would that be bought from? and is it just called a marine snubber? a springline snubber?
Any marine store would carry them. Yes they are just called "snubbers". You don't need them for docking though, they are more for shock absorption when it's roley at dock.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:01   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceawolf View Post
"Sure. Learn how to use a midship spring line for docking and you're there.

Docking 101 DOCKING 101 -- Mid Ship Cleat and Aft Spring [includes a link in Reply #1 to a very good single handed topic]
"

Stu-

WEST MARINE EPDM Mooring Snubbers | West Marine

It's a nice "to have" but not a necessity. I use a midship spring line without a snubber. If I was going to make a Dock-O-Matic, I'd probably include one.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single

« Abacos | Bahamas »