Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-04-2015, 18:14   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Single Hand? Is it possible?

If you do not like Bahamas for any reason, there are some islands further down South too.

Life at anchor is good. Life at the dock is good. There are beautiful ladies wherever you turn your head. Grilled meat smells fine and vegetables are said to be good for our health. People smile a lot. What else can I say.

If you like being alone, go solo. If you like a company, try to sail in a company.

Try, adjust, continue.

Fair winds,
b.

Old 06-04-2015, 18:55   #17

Boat: Slocum 43

I single hand a 43' modified full keel. I've set her up to bring everything to the cockpit. I've also thought through all the systems and processes you'll need to perform while single handing.. Like anchoring, mooring, docking, reefing, launching a dinghy and motor, etc. Most important is to consider safety. And trust me, a good strong dependable autopilot is your best friend and crew mate.

Old 06-04-2015, 20:29   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Get a self steering vane for sailing and an autopilot for powering then think about what boat your going to buy. Full keel boats are a bit of a challenge maneuvering around marinas. They just have a larger turning radius and are slow to respond to the helm. They need a bit of massaging using prop walk and backing and filling in tight quarters. Just takes practice and patience and may mean anchoring out if wind and tide are too bad. Not an issue when anchoring. The directional stability is also a benefit when sailing. The self steering and auto pilot should have an easier time holding the boat on course and heavier displacement definitely makes for a cushier ride. Last but not least, boats with attached rudder don't hook up with every lobster pot, crab trap and floating lines like a fin keel boat will. Not a small benefit sailing in coastal waters.

Sailed solo to Hawaii when I was 65 and will be 71 when I make the trip to Alaska.

Look at the Morgan 38 if you will accept a fin keeler. Have seen them quite cheap though I don't know the condition. Other than that, you'll be pretty much looking at late 60's-early 70s boats like the Pearson 35, Alberg 35 and 38, Bristol 35. They are all good boats but condition will be a big determinant. Have seen them listed below $10,000 to mid $30,000 with condition and equipment largely the determinant.
Old 06-04-2015, 22:35   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

The very first time I sailed our Hunter 450, I did it solo leaving the yard. Now I sail our Oyster 53 solo 50% of the time, no problem. But I don't sail more than 14 hours at a time, and no overnight passages.

No sleeping on the job.
Old 06-04-2015, 22:45   #20

Boat: Cheoy Lee, Luders 36

Thanks Ann,
I am comfortable with the honest approach. I have built sailoats, lived on them for a year in my younger days, been to the BVI chartering, so have some experience. But, haven't actually owned my own boat single handed. Considering 33-36' as I believe bigger than that and it is more than I want. But, I want enough space for friends to come visit. Full keel vs. fin keel is still being researched. Have seen pros/cons for both. But, I appreciate ALL input from those more experienced than me.
Smooth sailing.
Old 06-04-2015, 22:47   #21

Thank you. I am very comfortable solo. Have been solo most of my life. But, want to leave room for friends to visit.
Old 06-04-2015, 22:51   #22

Wow, thank you. That is what I am looking for. Have looked at several 35/36 Cheoy Lees that I really like. Also, like the Calibers. But, will consider those you mentioned. I am ok with a fin keel if the rudder is attached to a separate fin, top/bottom. Still considering all issues. I am hoping to keep purchase below $50,000.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:33   #23

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Get a self steering vane for sailing and an autopilot for powering then think about what boat your going to buy.
Total overkill getting both for the OP's plan.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:22   #24

ive recently purchased a Roberts 38 freedom rigged schooner, and plan on singlehanding , it probably comes down to developing back up plans and adjusting everything you need to make it easier on yourself!! go hard!
Old 07-04-2015, 02:46   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailsarefull View Post
Wow, thank you. That is what I am looking for. Have looked at several 35/36 Cheoy Lees that I really like. Also, like the Calibers. But, will consider those you mentioned. I am ok with a fin keel if the rudder is attached to a separate fin, top/bottom. Still considering all issues. I am hoping to keep purchase below $50,000.
Although I don't single hand most of the time when I was choosing a boat the ease to single hand it was one of the pre-reqs as I like to keep my options open. Look at the Mariner 36 (NH, not the East Asian ones). Very rugged, displacing 17,000-18,000lbs, 20,000lbs+ loaded, old time workmanship, built in the late 70s-early 80s. Fin keel but only 5' draft so it's still good for FL and the Bahamas, skeg hung rudder. Turns on a dime and tracks well. I was amazed as my much more knowledgeable marine-pro buddy set the sails, locked the wheel and we sailed for almost an hour as though we had an auto pilot.

The sail plan is somewhat conservative making it easier to single hand as you only have 595sf of sails to contend with. The mast clearance w/o antennas is under 51' making it great for ICW. The only drawback for some (not me, for me it was a desirable feature) is the traditional teak interior. But if it's in good shape, as mine was, it has a feel of a cozy well appointed library room. Lot's of light, all ports (8) are opening and 4 hatches so I have not used the fans I have installed though we had many 90+ days last summer.

As they are little known outside the New England they don't fetch as much as Sabres of that vintage although IMO they are just as good if not better. Certainly you get your bang for the dollar as Yachtworld has 3 for sale on the East Coast for between $30K and $40K. The one in FL for $39K looks like the better condition although I haven't seen any of these 3 personally , just looking at the photos and descriptions. There is another one in MD asking price mid $30s and one in VT in the low $30s. Certainly even with some upgrades and personalizations for single handling you'd be within your $50K budget goal.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:58   #26

Boat: Island Packet 40

I single hand all the time, heave too sometimes to get a nap or reef down until the boat is only doing 3-4 knots and sleep in the cockpit.

If you are thinking of having a woman aboard buy a boat with big water tamks or a watermaker, they are hell on water consumption.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:27   #27

Boat: Tartan 33
Single Hand? Is it possible?

I single hand my 33 regularly. I would stay away from full keels and look at boats like the Tartan 33 (mine) or 37. Once you are familiar with the boat, the scheel keel is easy to put along a dock or in a slip. Docking is the real challenge!

It is imperative to remember to progress in small steps, to always wear a harness and clip in. I have added several reinforced eyes in the cockpit just for that purpose.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael ---- NEW website! www.USCGMaster.com
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:04   #28
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42

I really don't get the full keel concern. I guess our 18 ton 42 footer is not a full keel but pretty close to it, and I find it super easy to sail solo. There are no power winches or significantly automated systems on the boat which is rigged pretty much as it was when it hit the water in 1982. My impression is that the longer keel adds to the directional stability of the boat and the generally easy pace of sailing her.

I believe the major issue about solo sailing is ease of moving about the boat and having options to steer the boat automatically while your hands are full. To this end I agree with the comment about having two kinds of auto pilot, I know I found it hard going when our auto helm was out of action during a rewire and a wind vane at that time would have been a great help.

Well thought out placement of winches, blocks and cleats are a must. A balanced and flexible sail plan helps (I love our cutter rig and the options it provides).

I second Ann's sentiments about keeping watch. I was once caught out by a much slower trip home than anticipated and resorted to brief naps with multiple alarms set for safety. Fortunately I was in a very quiet waterway but the experience served to impress apron me the realisation that sooner or later plans go to crap as what looked to be a pleasant 6 hour day sail turned into nearly 24 hours of tiring slog into horrid conditions. This is all relevant simply because even though the boat is a doddle to sail solo, time turned out to be the real enemy of solo sailing that day.

Whatever you look at to buy, spend lots of time walking around the boat, asking yourself how you would handle x, y and z should they occur while you are on your own. You may well find the larger clear decked boat more appealing than you expected. Good luck and enjoy the choosing process.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-04-2015, 06:35   #29
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Catalina 380

Anything is possible! Like anything, the more you do it the more your experience
grows. Small steps progressing into larger steps. Although I own a fin keel I've gotta say some of the best sailing boats I have ever been on were full keel boats. Yes they are less maneuverable docking than a fin keel but you learn the boat and what it wants to make things happen. But oh my gosh, when the sails are balanced and trimmed well, they practically sail themselves. Good luck on your new adventure.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:40   #30

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Single Hand? Is it possible?

My wife is with me, but I do all the sailing, so I essentially single hand our Hunter 356 all the time. Get a boat with all lines led to the cockpit, an autopilot, a good nav system and either enough electrical - solar/battery and or genset to power all your electronics including radar and AIS. Offshore, you can fully scan every 15 minutes, run on Autopilot and monitor AIS and radar and stay safe. Remember that cruising is 90 percent at anchor/marina and 10% moving about. Your boat has to have some amenities and be comfortable to live on as well as easy to sail.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
single

« Abacos | Bahamas »
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: