Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 09:40   #1

Boat: princess, 57
Shipping Boat from Florida to Carribean

does anybody have experience good or bad with using shipping companies to get boat shipped to st thomas? any to use or stay away from?
insatiable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:42   #2

Boat: Cabo Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by insatiable View Post
does anybody have experience good or bad with using shipping companies to get boat shipped to st thomas? any to use or stay away from?
Why no more details? No one knows your boat or anything about what you are trying to accomplish.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:44   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: shipping boat from florida to carribean

Yes a little more information would help. Do you want to ship an 18' ski boat from Sidney or a 60' ketch from San Francisco? Different answers to the question depending.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:47   #4

If a sailboat, I would just hire a good skipper to take it there. Alot less screwing around. and.... your risk of camage is probably higher shipping it....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:53   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: shipping boat from florida to carribean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If a sailboat, I would just hire a good skipper to take it there. Alot less screwing around.
I'da said that... but then I'd have to become a commercial member....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:15   #6

Boat: princess, 57

my boat is 57 foot power , trying to get it from south florida to st thomas
insatiable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:42   #7

Ahh...I see... that's a chunk of fuel!

Old 06-02-2013, 10:43   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Have never shipped but reading the discussions from others that have it sounds very expensive.

Why not just motor it down? Sail from south FL to St Thomas is tough as you are dead against the wind all the way but power should be a piece of cake. It's about 1000 miles and a 57' even at hull speed should be able to do 200 miles a day, weather permitting. Wait until late spring, before hurricane season but after winter storms die off. Even allowing stops for R&R and refueling you could get there in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:47   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Ahh...I see... that's a chunk of fuel!
A big chunk of fuel but if you run at displacement speeds maybe not so bad? I seem to recall shipping quotes in the tens of thousands? Surely motoring down would be cheaper?
Old 06-02-2013, 12:59   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I don't think you will find a ship carrier making this trip. They tend to only move between large ports.

Figure to hire a captain and crew will run $500 a day plus expenses, for probably 14 days. Add in $1,000 for airfare, and other grand for food/supplies. The fuel bill, if you take it at displacement speeds probably wouldn't be too bad, a couple thousand at the most.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 14:26   #11
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Seeing as how all you shipping experts are already on this thread, I could use some advice too. I need to ship my new tender from Ft. Lauderdale to Seattle. It's a Norse Boat 12.5 with a trailer. So far I've been quoted about $3800. Seems really high for a tender. The owner is headed to Atlanta soon and offered to take the boat there for cheaper shipping, and the price from Atlanta was much cheaper, $2600, but still seems pretty high. Anyone got any pointers for finding cheaper shipping? Without me getting screwed preferably. I'm considering pricing without the trailer, since its most of the weight and I don't really need it. Any other ideas?
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 14:34   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Seeing as how all you shipping experts are already on this thread, I could use some advice too. I need to ship my new tender from Ft. Lauderdale to Seattle. It's a Norse Boat 12.5 with a trailer. So far I've been quoted about $3800. Seems really high for a tender. The owner is headed to Atlanta soon and offered to take the boat there for cheaper shipping, and the price from Atlanta was much cheaper, $2600, but still seems pretty high. Anyone got any pointers for finding cheaper shipping? Without me getting screwed preferably. I'm considering pricing without the trailer, since its most of the weight and I don't really need it. Any other ideas?
Just a tender on a trailer ought to fit on one of those car mover trailers.?
Also, now days there are smaller guys using pickup trucks and 2-3 car 5th wheel setups doing it also.
Maybe contact some of the NW boat movers and see if they could put it on when they come back from there without a full load.?
When I sold my boat in FL I had to give away a nearly brand new RIB due to the same issue.....

Old 06-02-2013, 14:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I don't think you will find a ship carrier making this trip. They tend to only move between large ports.

Figure to hire a captain and crew will run $500 a day plus expenses, for probably 14 days. Add in $1,000 for airfare, and other grand for food/supplies. The fuel bill, if you take it at displacement speeds probably wouldn't be too bad, a couple thousand at the most.
There was a Yacht shipping service taking only boats a few years back. Are they still in business? They had a special boat, you just pull alongside and they pull you out. I think they served from Europe, Lauderdale, and to a couple spots in the carribean, thru the canal clear up to Van BC.
Found it: http://www.yacht-transport.com/page/...port-tips.html
You can travel with your boat if you want.

Old 06-02-2013, 15:46   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I did a quick look at the boat specs and it seems small enough that it could fit inside a standard over-the-road truck as LTL freight. Since it's on a trailer you could have it dropped at the carriers terminal and save some pickup and loading charges. If you have the complete dimensions of the whole package: overall length of the trailer, width, height and weight I'll ask one of the truckers I deal with for a rate. Should be cheaper than my usual shipping since most are solvents and ship hazmat.
Old 06-02-2013, 16:01   #15

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Uship dot com
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, shipping