Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2010, 06:06   #1

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad
Selling the Bahamas

the Aga Khan is destroying a part of the land & sea park in the exumas and nobody's doing anything about it. after riding around in the Aga's 13 seat chopper, the minister in charge of permits for development in the bahamas stated he would probably hand out a permit to further develop bell island including dredging to 12 ft. thru the coral reef so the Aga can bring in his huge yacht. giving $1MM to the national trust helped his cause also. now we hear the development has already begun WITHOUT a permit...what cojones this guy has!!

send emails to anyone in the gov't. you can telling them to stop this project. they're killing the reef and going against the concept of a sea park. it's supposed to be a place of peace and quiet, allowing wildlife (above & below the water) to rejuvenate and be safe from over fishing and development.
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 06:39   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
defever,

If you understand the Bahamas you will come to realize that "sending emails to anyone in gov't" will not achieve anything. Development in the Bahamas is between the politicians in power and the developers. Emails from foreigners will do nothing. In many cases, such as the Bakers Bay development, vocal opposition from the local population does not sway the politicians in Nassau. I would think, in this case, there is little if any local opposition. The main factor that prevents or retards development in these islands is the "boom and bust" cycle. Many of the major developments never come to fruition due to downturns in the economy. If you look at the out islands you will see many failed developments. Unfortunately, in this case, where development is private and does not rely on selling to the public, it will go ahead. On the plus side it will provide employment in an area where there is little.
Old 23-09-2010, 07:21   #3

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
I hardly think that dredging out a 12' deep x ?? wide channel thru a shallow reef section is grounds to arrest everyone involved and stop all building. I'd like to see more dredging done and better channel markers put out myself. There's a ga-zillion square yards of reef out there to enjoy and dive, etc. and this isn't going to make a dent in it. Kinda like peeeing in the ocean and then yelling that it's making it rise.
Old 23-09-2010, 07:25   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Environment Minister Earl Deveaux has handed his resignation into Prime Minister Hubert Ingraham.
More ➥ Political Bahamas Blog: Bell Island in the Exuma Land and Sea Park... being unearthed?

About a third of the Exuma park’s land area is privately owned, including Cistern Cay, Pirate’s Cay, Little Pigeon Cay, South Halls Pond Cay, Soldier Cay, Dinna Cay, White Bay Cay, Osprey Cay, Bell Island and Little Bell Island.
More ➥ Political Bahamas Blog: The Bahamas National Trust (BNT) statement on the proposed development at Bell Island in the Exuma Cays Land and Sea Park

See also ➥ http://www.wealthcollection.com/edit...%20islands.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 08:43   #5

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
Just another case of the "Golden Rule" ie Those with the gold make the rules. As I've said before "Eat the rich".
Old 23-09-2010, 12:58   #6

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
It seems every year I go back to the Bahamas, I sadly find one more previously unihabited bay is now being developed. Baker's Bay and the north end of Manjack being other examples. However, we live in a world that is not getting bigger, but has an ever increasing population. The result is going to be more development. I can't blame people for wanting to have a home or visit a resort in such a beautiful place.

Still there are many places left in the Bahamas where one can drop the hook and be the only boat in sight. That's pretty special.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 13:58   #7

Boat: 33' Seawind 1000 Cat
Being an ole Social Worker I am done fighting causes. I feel blessed that there are still enough little cays where we can beach SYL and enjoy. Is that selfish...you bet. I have fought causes, raised children, been political and you know life goes on and often not the way I would like it. I think I will spend what years I have left being a "drop out". I guess I wrote this to say, there comes a time when it is ok to be selfish. I am now, going through my "selfish phase".
Sea Yawl Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 17:58   #8

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
I'm hoping to see the warm parts of the world before it gets ruined. The cold places will be developed more later after all of the places with nice weather are pooped out.
I, too, have no fight left in me for idealogical issues. I'll still fight for my dinner but not for somebody else's dinner.
I wrote to my Congresswoman a few months ago about something legitimate. Not UFO's, CIA tunnels under my house, secret societies, JFK, or anything like that. The only response was that I was added to her spam email list.
The only good form of government is... uhh... umm...
Can't think of one.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 18:52   #9

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
"giving $1MM to the national trust helped his cause also."
I wonder how much the Ahga Kahn donated to the minister's offshore bank account??
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 09:17   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
It is the age old argument between preserving the wilderness by exclusion of human development or providing jobs and money for the ever growing population of a country. It is better to keep a country like the Bahamas poor and the people unemployed just to have "unspoiled" vistas for visitors who don't live there and don't have to worry about poverty - or - allow controlled and responsible development by very, very wealthy people who are willing to spend significant money in the country both for construction of their palaces in paradise and also spend money thereafter keeping their places maintained and stocked with all the supplies they need which are purchased from other businesses inside the country which employ local workers.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 09:42   #11

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensc View Post
"giving $1MM to the national trust helped his cause also."
I wonder how much the Ahga Kahn donated to the minister's offshore bank account??
Steve
I just erased some text that would have probably gotten the mods on my back, and will simply say "people who live in glass houses, etc,etc.

My policy has always been that I only have the right to critisize the country I vote in. Full stop.
Old 25-09-2010, 10:37   #12

Boat: 33' Seawind 1000 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
It is the age old argument between preserving the wilderness by exclusion of human development or providing jobs and money for the ever growing population of a country. It is better to keep a country like the Bahamas poor and the people unemployed just to have "unspoiled" vistas for visitors who don't live there and don't have to worry about poverty - or - allow controlled and responsible development by very, very wealthy people who are willing to spend significant money in the country both for construction of their palaces in paradise and also spend money thereafter keeping their places maintained and stocked with all the supplies they need which are purchased from other businesses inside the country which employ local workers.
I think the operative word here is "responsible".
Sea Yawl Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 06:04   #13

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad
cdennyb wants channel markers and dredging in the exumas land and sea park???? stay in california, my friend. we in the bahamas don't need to make this country another miami or san diego. the park, like any national park in the u.s., is supposed to be undeveloped for future generations to enjoy and not dredged/bouyed/etc. a friend who owns a dive shop near these developments now spends his days underwater w/ an air hose blowing silt coming from the dredge off the coral in order to save it. you want to trade places w/ him??
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 06:33   #14

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by defever View Post
cdennyb wants channel markers and dredging in the exumas land and sea park???? stay in california, my friend. we in the bahamas don't need to make this country another miami or san diego. the park, like any national park in the u.s., is supposed to be undeveloped for future generations to enjoy and not dredged/bouyed/etc. a friend who owns a dive shop near these developments now spends his days underwater w/ an air hose blowing silt coming from the dredge off the coral in order to save it. you want to trade places w/ him??
So, I can assume that you are a Bahamas' citizen and can vote in the elections? If so, then you really need to pressure your leaders in Nassau to require the use of containment booms and curtains around any dredging. They are much more effective in reducing any silt leaving the area and settling on reefs. And using such booms/curtains means more jobs for Bahamians and more money for local companies renting the booms/curtains. Development can be done responsibly if the citizens of the country want it to be.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 07:45   #15

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by defever View Post
And who are we as foreigners to tell another country they can't develop their waterfront areas the way we have?

Also, I disagree that national park systems in all countries are like those of the U.S. In many countries, national parks are not publicly owned wilderness land with a charter of keeping it that way. In many countries, national parks are made up largely of privately owned land. As someone who also backpacks and canoes, I certainly could argue that putting a marina in Yellowstone lake and permitting motorized yachts is not preserving the wilderness there.

Also, many of the things that have lessened what used to be a wilderness feel in the Exumas have come as a result of park policies. Not too many years ago, I'd drop the hook for free (in sand) in a place like Caimbridge Cay and have it to myself or with just a couple other spread out boats. Now the addition of a mooring field (including a few for mega yachts )with a full time volunteer makes me feel like I'm at an RV campground instead. Areas off the beaten track that once offered a wilderness experience are now off limits. To me these practices have ruined what was once a wilderness experience more than improving what has already been privately owned land. Whether a private channel I go past is shoal draft or deep, makes little difference to me. Being denied to anchor off a deserted islands, greatly affects my cruising experience.

Don't get me wrong, the reason I love the Bahamas more than any other cruising area is that it still offers many unspoiled areas. I just disagree with the idea that as a foreigner it's my place to tell people from another country, they should not enjoy the economic developments that we've had in my own country.

I do agree with watch dogs that ensure proper environmental protection laws are followed (such as mentioned by osirissail above) and report those who do not follow those.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas