Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2017, 11:50   #1

Boat: Pearson 10M
Security in the Bahamas

I'd like to be able to discuss the needs for security in the Bahamas and why people do or do not think a particular level of protection is or isn't needed.
Myself I don't have a lot of experience in the Bahamas, I've visited Paradise Island twice (staying at a yoga camp, not a resort), cruised in the Abacos for tow weeks and picked up a 52' sailboat for a delivery north on one of the islands offshore from Miami.
While on Paradise Island I noticed all of the private homes were surrounded by walls topped with razor wire and this seemed quite out of place with the surroundings of the yoga camp.
On my second trip to Nassau and Paradise Island the cab driver asked if we could take the back way through Nassau so he could deliver a message to someone who didn't have a phone. That trip was eye opening, in Nassau there is a dramatic difference between the have's and the have not's or as we might say in contemporary jargon there is a huge income gap. This side trip and my conversation with the cab driver who had a Harvard degree but was driving a cab so he could live where he was raised, clarified for me why the luxury homes on Paradise Island were surrounded by prison like walls.

Now I'm not asking anyone to speculate or to share their fears on this thread, I am asking for other real experiences that address the topic of "Security in the Bahamas".

Thanks
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 11:55   #2

Re: Security in the Bahamas

Noonsite is a useful reference here: Bahamas —
Old 26-11-2017, 12:56   #3

Boat: Vancouver 27

I think you'll find that outside of Nassau there is very little in the way of security concerns. The locals are great, and as long as you do not wade into local politics, the police will not hassle you.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 09:18   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I’ve spent over a year cruising the Bahamas. Aside from Nassau, I’ve rarely locked my boat or dinghy and have never had any problem. I’ve read of a few instances of theft outside Nassau, but such instances seem very rare. I certainly feel safer cruising in the Bahamas than I do the U.S.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 11:35   #5

Add Freeport/Grand Bahama to the list of places to keep your wits about you. Even in the Abacos, I would be careful about belongings when close to Great Abaco. You are more likely to have issues where there are more people. That said, I love most of the Bahamas.
spearfish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 20:47   #6

Boat: O'Day 34

I've cruised the Abacos at least annually since 1980 and never had a problem.
On my first trip to Hopetown I noticed piles of very expensive dive gear and stacks of gold Penn International reels left unattended on the town docks while their owners were out fishing or diving.
When I asked the locals if anyone ever lifted this very expensive gear the response was "our guests are our livelihood; if anyone steals, we take him fishing and don't bring him back."
This of course doesn't pertain to Nassau or Freeport. The large cities anywhere can be a problem.
BTW none of our boats had locks on the cabins....
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 04:35   #7

Unfortunately, some of that has changed. It is uncomfortably common how often center consoles are going missing in the Abacos. I first went in the mid 90s, it is different now. Still great, but we went from leaving gear in the boat to chaining and locking the boat to the dock. It is not locals who steal, it is people from Nassau and Freeport. They have more range now with go fast center console boats.

That said, sail boats are going to be less affected but dinghies are fair game and should be secured.

Theft can be an issue if you are careless in the Abacos but safety can be an issue in Freeport and Nassau.
spearfish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 05:08   #8

Nassau and Freeport are big cities, and have big-city problems. They are still a part of the drug pipeline from South America to North America. Not nearly as bad as during the 80s, but it still contributes to a lot of problems in the area.

The wealth differential is not really an "income gap" in the sense that that term is used in most of the developed world. Only a tiny percentage of the people who earn an income in the Bahamas earn more than a pittance. The majority of wealthy people in these cities earn (or earned) their wealth elsewhere, and just come to the Bahamas for the sun, sand, and crystal clear water.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 05:45   #9

Make a couple of 20ft 1/4inch cables with swedged loops on the ends. Lock your outboard to the transom and use the cable to lock the dink to the boat.

We always lock our dink, both anchored out as well as in Nassau at marinas. Also try to keep the dink and decks clear of dive gear, and other easily stolen stuff.

After many trips over many years, as yet no trouble.
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:45   #10

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 54DS

Can you please provide some cruising recommendations for the bahamas. 2.2 meter draft. Thanks!
jhill82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhill82 View Post
Can you please provide some cruising recommendations for the bahamas. 2.2 meter draft. Thanks!
Can you clarify your request? Are looking for a list of safer destinations to visit, or less safe destinations to avoid?

Or are you hi-jacking the thread looking to build a cruise itinerary?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:06   #12

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 54DS

The latter. Seemed like you were knowledgeable so hoping for some advice. Thanks
jhill82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, security