Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 09:15   #1

SC to Fl

anyone know approximately how long a trip from south Carolina down thru the lake Okeechobee cut would take ( given perfect condititions) hey dont laugh,or has anyone any advice on this trip?
bodyhammmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:34   #2

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC
Re: SC to Fl

First of all, you don't say what kind of boat you have or your cruising speed. Assume a cruising sailboat making 6-7 knots. Regardless, it's all about the weather. If you can got offshore it's 2-3 days. Inside down the ditch 2 weeks without any sightseeing. This time of year you should be able to make 75 statute miles per day without too much trouble, maybe more if you push it. What's your objective?

Welcome to the CF.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:15   #3

thanks for the reply and the info,i have a 38' soveral trying to make it to panama city in about 10 days.Hoping to have a four man crew to get her there,but trying to figure out the time line
Old 11-04-2012, 11:54   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Easy to figure.

1. Get a chart or for basic planning you can even use a map or an atlas.

2. Measure the distance from where you are to where you want to go.

3. Figure the speed of your vessel. Divide the total distance by your speed in miles per hour or knots.

4. You now have the total number of hours, under ideal conditions, required to reach your destination.

5. Since you have 10 days to make the trip that is a max of 240 hours total sailing time available. If the answer from #4 is more than 240 then you need more time. If you will only travel days then you have +/- 120 hours. If answer from #4 is more than 120 they you need more time.

Only you know if you have the desire and skills to sail directly offshore or travel the ICW or travel day and night or only travel days and anchor at night.

If you can't do the calculations you should consider hiring a professional captain to accompany you on the trip.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:21   #5

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

I don't want to be a naysayer or buttinsky. But have made most of that trip many times. Ten days really isn't enough time for that trip unless you do it offshore. I think I know the boat you're talking about. I don't think it's sound for an offshore trip in its current condition (the rigging would be my primary concern, but it really needs a thorough going over) IMHO.

You might try to build in more time for the trip (3 weeks along the waterways), or schedule time to work on the boat before you leave.

Don't let this discourage you. If this is the boat I'm thinking of, it seems like a nice boat, with adequate work done to bring it back up to speed. Best of luck.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 15:05   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Get started soon, I think the ACE is closing one of the locks at the start of June, and it will be closed all the way to August. Check with them.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 19:23   #7

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

I've sailed Punta Gorda to Oriental, NC via Okeechobee in 8 days. Somewhere around 800 nm from memory but not sure. I had the benefit of the Gulf Stream offshore and ran from 5-7 or so each day depending on Locks.

If the boat and crew are fit I guess it is possible, but everything will have to go right.

How tall is your mast? I didn't have to wait around for any tipping games under the bridge.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
3. Figure the speed of your vessel. Divide the total distance by your speed in miles per hour or knots.
Don't forget the time you'll spend waiting for bridges to be opened, and the time for negotiating the locks on the Okeechobee waterway. I'd probably add at least an extra 12 hours for those kinds of delays.

Bottom line, no matter how you look at it, 10 days to make that trip is VERY optimistic!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:57   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Don't forget the time you'll spend waiting for bridges to be opened, and the time for negotiating the locks on the Okeechobee waterway. I'd probably add at least an extra 12 hours for those kinds of delays.

Bottom line, no matter how you look at it, 10 days to make that trip is VERY optimistic!
Certainly need to account for the bridges and such but considering the very short time the OP was allocating for the trip was working on the assumption that he might want to stay outside.

Then based on the very basic nature of the original question was trying to show the OP the ease of doing at least a simple best case scenario calculation.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:59   #10
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

there are a lot of factors to consider: will the wind blow the right direction for 10 days? so will you be motoring in the ICW? that's over 800 miles. like the guy said: there are a ton of delays along the way and your crew or the boat may need a break at some point.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:59   #11

Just did a round trip from Melbourne, FL to Ft Myers via the Okeechobee Waterway. 6 days from Melbourne to Ft Myers; bridges and locks were on demand. That just changed to every 2 hrs. for 2 locks. Lowest bridge is 49ft railway lift bridge at high water. The above mentioned lock closure will ruin your plans however, unless you're leaving after the work has been completed. Its a scenic and rural route for the most part.
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:22   #12

This is the railway bridge just east of Port Mayaca lock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00803.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	39864  
Old 12-04-2012, 06:49   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Just completed the trip.Start point in SC MM 384 Wacha Wacha Marina to MM 15 Okeechobe waterway time 8 day's.Had to stop early some day's for Marinas,most don't pump fuel after 5 pm and don't resume till 8 am,other day's ran till dusk.Currents thru SC and GA make a big difference.Probably 4 hours wait time total for bridges.Not much use going on and off shore unless you plan on staying outside the mileage in and out add 10 to 12 miles to waterway mileage per inlet plus ging south you have to fight the stream.Havig made the trip accross from Ft Myres to Stuart in the past add 3 day's for the crossing.Port Mayaca bridge 48 ft Railroad bridge 2 or 3 55 ft bridges and the locks 3 I,beleive going thru the Okee waterway probably looking at a 14 to 17 day trip to Panamma City.I,pushed as fast as I,could even ran at night a couple of times.Cabo Rico 38
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 14:28   #14

There are 3 locks on the west side of Lake O; and 2 locks on the east side of Lake O.
Old 13-04-2012, 16:42   #15

i appreciate all the advice and all the info guys,wish i had more time to make the trip but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do! Will definetly be a hell of a trip ,i'll keep you all posted on how it goes!