Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 08:54   #1

Boat: Fast Passage 40
Savannah, GA . . . Worth it ?

We are working our way north and considering the run in to Savannah, GA...local knowledge?...city dock? etc. TIA
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:21   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Savannah, GA...worth it?

Don't know about boating but the old town is very pretty. It has a bit of that old south New Orleans, French Quarter feel complete with the huge old oak trees with spanish moss, very Gone With the Wind. It's a good place to hang out for a while but is brutally hot and muggy in the summer like the rest of the SE. Does your boat have AC? Midnight In the Garden of Good and Evil was filmed there. BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:33   #3
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

it is worth it but there is no city dock. the closest marinas are thunderbolt or isle of hope .. both nice places with anchorages too. the city itself is best done on foot. you can cover it all in a day. i lived there in 2005 and enjoyed my time there very much. also hope to go back in the near future.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:35   #4

Boat: Mainship 34, Flying Scot

I think so. If you go up the Savannah River to the waterfront, there's a city dock where you can dock for 3hrs for free or overnight for $1.50/ft with water & electric. It's first come first serve. The only caveat is if they have one of the little cruise ships coming in, you won't be allowed to stay overnight. This was the case when I stopped there recently. Call (912) 651-3634 to find out in advance. If it's available then you're right there on the historic waterfront and can walk around historic Savannah. I've enjoyed it when I've stayed there in the past. You will want to time your arrival with the tide as the current can be quite strong. Enjoy!
micksbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:26   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Savannah, GA . . . Worth it ?

Open a free account on ActiveCaptain and you will find good information and user reviews of riverside facilities in Savannah.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:16   #6

Boat: Tayana 37

While you are there, you have to have lunch at Mrs. Wilks Boarding House. We Had the oppertunity once and we still compare most meals out to Mrs Wilks.
Lesterbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:29   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

Savannah is a beautiful, historic city. Take one of the architectural walking tours. Magnificent! Isle of Hope is a very nice facility, in a neighborhood with very nice, easy walks. They have loaner cars that make getting into town for shopping or dining quite convenient.

Warning: if the temps and humidity are right, the no-see-ums are a force to be reckoned with. If you have bug screens, put them up before they hit. They won't give you any chance once they're out.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 17:44   #8

Location: Sold the Full Moon in PR, now on St Simons Island, GA
Boat: Hunter, Deck Salon, 44, Fullmoon

If you haven't passed Savannah yet let me know. I lived there for over 25 years. Now on my boat in the BVI. My sister lives downtown Savannah and would be glad to meet you and give you current information. Tides are 6 to 8 feet and very strong currents. I lived in Thunderbolt and docked on the river. DON'T underestimate the No-Seeums and gnats.
Fullmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 17:49   #9

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
it is worth it but there is no city dock. the closest marinas are thunderbolt or isle of hope ......
Not so. See below;

Quote:
Originally Posted by micksbuddy View Post
I think so. If you go up the Savannah River to the waterfront, there's a city dock where you can dock for 3hrs for free or overnight for $1.50/ft with water & electric. It's first come first serve. The only caveat is if they have one of the little cruise ships coming in, you won't be allowed to stay overnight. This was the case when I stopped there recently. Call (912) 651-3634 to find out in advance. If it's available then you're right there on the historic waterfront and can walk around historic Savannah. I've enjoyed it when I've stayed there in the past. You will want to time your arrival with the tide as the current can be quite strong. Enjoy!
We came in on a Friday afternoon of a 3 day weekend, and were able to stay Saturday... had a GREAT time. It is amazing that even with the large ship traffic the wakes were significant, but not terrible.

FWIW,

We were told by more then one person they never see sailboats come up the river... it was not a long way out of the way, but well worth it. IMHO. The river boat was there when we were, but there was PLENTY of room.

Faith at the city dock, Savannah GA. (couple more pictures here).
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 17:09   #10

Stopped at isle of hope last week. The no see ums where bad, but the horse flies where worst and largest I have ever seen. Great stop though!
CaptBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 17:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBarry View Post
Stopped at isle of hope last week. The no see ums where bad, but the horse flies where worst and largest I have ever seen. Great stop though!
This may have ben addressed elsewhere but in Maryland on Smith Island, famous for the no-seeums and huge green flies, the watermen use Avon "Skin so soft" and it keeps them off.

ps: However, 4 guys coated in Avon Skin So Soft in a cabin on a hot night can be a bit much. No wonder the flies stay away.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 17:58   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Ha, Yes skin so soft is highly recommended in savannah and it should be available at just about every gorcery store there too. I lived there for over 25 years and learned to sail there on the back river behind Tybee Is. The sand gnats are bad april/may but then die back a little. Of course then the Mosquito swarms come out in june / july ;-).
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote