Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2007, 11:32   #1

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Sapelo Sound Info Needed

I'm looking for information on Sapelo Sound. What conditionion is the inlet in? Are there any good anchorages close in?

Thanks
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:39   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
What mile marker is that at? The cut through Sapelo sound on the ICW is pretty good, I don't know re the inlet itself. All my stuff is on the boat and I'm still at home but I do have a list of anchorages here but I need the mile marker.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:14   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Sapelo Sound, GA may at or about AICW mile marker 632.5

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:25   #4

Mile 630 anchor in Wahoo creek. No good in SW blow.

Mile 643.5 off G157 Crescent River, this is one of my favourite anchorages in GA. We always stop here if we're going through GA and dink to the shrimpers for shrimp. Anchor on the N side of the river well before you get to the bend as shrimpers use the "channel" which is on the S side. If at all possible use this anchorage, it's the best in the area. When entering the creek favour the south side. Have sat out a few windy days here.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:28   #5

Boat: Lagoon 37
I would call towboat us and ask them about the inlet, I personally have no info for Sapelo. It looks well marked, but again no personal experience. But tow boat has always given me good info when i hailed them and ask! Here is the anchorage info I have. It is the only one that is close

Wahoo River Anchorage

Statute Mile: 630

Lat/Lon: near 31 36.083 North/081 12.755 West

Location: located on the waters of Wahoo River, immediately east of charted Wahoo Island, – Wahoo River flows into the the ICW section of South Newport River well west of unlighted daybeacon #133
Minimum Depth: 10-feet, but use of a GPS chartplotter is strongly recommended to facilitate safe entry into Wahoo River
Swing Room: sufficient room for vessels as large as 42 feet

Foul Weather Shelter: Excellent in all but strong western and southwestern winds

Rating:
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:39   #6

rleslie,

Don't know if you intend heading in at Sapelo sound. Shrimpers use it but I have never met a cruiser that tried it. A much better inlet is just below St. Simons Island, before Jekyll Island. Big car carriers use it to get to Brunswick so it's pretty good. If you want to anchor head north towards the St. Simons Marina and anchor on the port side just south of the marina, by the condos on the left. This is a good anchorage. The water is a bit skinny going up but just keep on the range and you can get 6 feet up at low tide and there's good water in the anchorage.
Old 11-11-2007, 13:02   #7

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Thanks for the prompt replies.

I finally found a SeaTow that covers the area and he says that all of the markers are in place and accurate. He also recommended anchoring up Black Beard Creek on the south side of the inlet. If that anchorage doesn't look good we will go further in and try one of the anchorages that you suggested.

We will be leaving Hilton Head via Tybee Roads and my wife won't do another overnight run, so we needed something between Tybee and St Marys. Sapelo is almost exactly half way and can be done in day light.

We left Charleston on Friday morning with a weather forcast of 10-15 out of the N, what we got was glass. Not a puff of anything. The forecast for Friday night was 5-10 out of the N, what we got was 20-25 from the south (yes, we were heading SSW). From 23:00 until 04:00 we made 13nm headway. At that point we gave up and ran back to Tybee (about 24nm), arriving at about 0630. We really got the **** kicked out of us and now my wife won't do another overnighter. If I could find the idiots at NOAA, I'd "bitch-slap" them!!!<g>

Hopefully three months in the Bahamas and lots of sundowners will fog her memory of the trip.

Roger
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote