Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2010, 05:19   #46
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Leewards heading to Grenada for summer 2012
Boat: Tayana 42
Posts: 102
Glad you made it Duncan. We were out there at the same time but quite a bit ahead of you. Your boat was one of the few sailboats I saw on AIS (on www.marinetraffic.com) but did not realize it was you until I went back on this post. We went straight through to Annapolis and got there early Monday morning. The sea was pretty rocky that day (a couple of our crew got sick), but at least we got to sail most of the way on Saturday.
__________________

__________________
msulc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 08:43   #47
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back in UK earning B.O.A.T. units
Boat: Hunter 45CC
Posts: 198
Images: 2
Msulc,

Didn't realise you were ahead of us. That was a weird night with the 180 deg. windshift which happened in seconds at the front came up from the south.

One of the boats we were sailing with broke a chainplate in one of the erly gusts and had to put into Barnegat to fix it.
When the sun came up, I was surprised to see the size of the following seas being kicked up by the norther.

We were surfing quite badly. Enough that the vent pipe on my Packless Shaft Seal was throwing salt water out of the top and all over the watermaker etc. (Must deal with that)

Perhaps you were ahead of this by then, but if they had got up any further, I was considering deploying a drouge.

Kudos to you for continuing on to Annapolis in those conditions. We then got stuck in Cape May for a few days as the window closed.

Francie,

Saturday night doesn't look too bad from what I can see (www.passageweather.com), but ....

The conditions you would set off from Sandy Hook depend really on your heavy weather experience / tolerance. We set off in predicted 10-15 and were seeing 25+ for some time. My best advice is that if you are inexperienced / short handed / not set up for heavy weather, take your time, enjoy the Atlantic Highlands (we did), take the sea streak to NYC and wait it out for calm conditions to do this trip.

Duncan & Joan
__________________

__________________
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 16:43   #48
Registered User
 
francie's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Full-time cruiser
Boat: Gulfstar Hirsh 45, Anam Cara
Posts: 23
Hi Joyful!

We are looking out for your boat for you! We, along with our other two co-conspirators are at mooring balls at Marlboro. We noticed the missing prop. The earliest we would plan to go is Saturday or Sunday. Winds seem to be increasing here as the day goes on. We rented a car and saw some sights on the Hudson today, will probably try to move a little further south tomorrow.
__________________
francie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:46   #49
Registered User
 
lorenzo b's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Panama
Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Posts: 961
Looking at NOAA and it doesn't seem great for this coming week, seas 5 to 10 ft.
any thoughts?
__________________
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:41   #50
Registered User
 
Tempest245's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Posts: 937
Hi Lorenzo,

It's not looking great for any big moves south near-term unless you're comfortable in up to 25 kn winds with seas up to 10 ft. Winds out of the north..following seas?

What's your draft? I suppose if you were antsy you could make a move and get into barnegat bay via manasquan inlet....and head south a bit inside...I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble though, if you're comfortable where you are... Sunday morning might be the only break you get...

Otherwise, get cozy....
__________________
Tempest
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:17   #51
Registered User
 
lorenzo b's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Panama
Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Posts: 961
My draft is 6 ft and my cats will not allow me to even think of seas over 4 ft.
I'm a big fat fair weather woos.
__________________
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:21   #52
Registered User
 
Tempest245's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Posts: 937
HA..I hear ya! Make a pot of Stew, grab a good book...and hunker down...

The sun should come out tomorrow..
__________________
Tempest
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 15:11   #53
Registered User
 
lorenzo b's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Panama
Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Posts: 961
Right now I'm looking at Thursday for a run down to Atlantic City.
We're still in Flushing Queens pigging out on the asian food here.
__________________
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 17:55   #54
Registered User
 
francie's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Full-time cruiser
Boat: Gulfstar Hirsh 45, Anam Cara
Posts: 23
Looking at Tuesday for a possible run

NOAA Graphical Forecast for Philadelphia, PA

Checked out this website, an offshoot of NOAA. Tuesday looks like a possibility for us to head to Cape May. We are in Haverstraw at the present time and will head closer to NYC when the window looks like it will open! How far offshore do people generally stay when making this passage.

We are a 45 foot sailboat with years of racing, some long distance, and comfortable with not being in sight of land. Boat is seaworthy.

Mike & Francie
__________________
francie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 18:38   #55
Registered User
 
Tempest245's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Posts: 937
Hey Mike and Francie,

I usually stay about 3 miles offshore in about 60 ft of water. It keeps me inside the larger shipping, and close enough that I can spot the Landmarks and inlet buoys.

We've been seeing a number of lows and highs blowing through. I just looked at NOAA for Tues, Wed. You will have shifting winds and some lumpy seas...but that is Ocean Sailing...Winds out of the west usually bring some rain, they will clock north which is better than the prevailing SW for this trip...
It looks like Tues. evening..into wed will see improving conditions...Tues morning may still be sloppy but if you push on, it looks like it will get better through the night.
If you waited until Wed morning it looks like Wed into Thurs...you might avoid the tues slop......it's only Sat...so hard to predict too far ahead..but looks like you've got a decent window....especially if you want to sail..with a northerly component...
__________________
Tempest
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 18:43   #56
Registered User
 
sabray's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wash DC
Boat: PETERSON 44
Posts: 3,169
Depends on the weather I go a little further off and run the outside edge of the further out shipping lane if its rough. Adds a little time but it buys space and I think its a little less choppy. If its flat calm I run the inside shipping channel well once I did.
__________________
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:31   #57
Registered User
 
lorenzo b's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Panama
Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Posts: 961
TUE
W WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 4 TO 7 FT...SUBSIDING TO 3 TO 5
FT IN THE AFTERNOON. A CHANCE OF RAIN.

TUE NIGHT
N WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT. A CHANCE OF
RAIN.

WED
NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT. A CHANCE OF RAIN
THROUGH THE DAY.

THU
W WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT.
__________________
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:52   #58
Registered User
 
Tempest245's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Posts: 937
looks good.....west winds on the jersey shore tend to flatten the seas a little...beam reach for sailors....headed south
__________________
Tempest
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 18:23   #59
Registered User
 
francie's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Full-time cruiser
Boat: Gulfstar Hirsh 45, Anam Cara
Posts: 23
Tuesday looks good enough

Thanks for the info, Tuesday certainly looks good enough at this point for the trip to Cape May. We are headed to NYC Monday, and plan on anchoring near Liberty State Park. We have planned our route for slightly more than 3 miles offshore.

Appreciate the feedback and suggestions,

Mike & Francie
__________________
francie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:47   #60
Registered User
 
lorenzo b's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Panama
Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Posts: 961
Now they are saying SW winds seas 4 to 6 for tues
not so good
__________________

__________________
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cape Horn / Cape of Good Hope Macopa Other 14 24-08-2017 21:21
Crew Wanted: Crew Wanted: Cape May to Sandy Hook Exhale Crew Archives 1 06-05-2010 06:15
79th Street Marina NYC - and Sandy Hook AutumnBorne1 Meets & Greets 16 20-09-2007 09:33
Crew invited for Charleston, SC to Sandy Hook/Atlantic Highlands, NJ, in late July/ea skipgundlach Crew Archives 0 23-07-2007 22:36



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:27.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.