Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2010, 17:21   #16
Registered User
 
Tempest245's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Posts: 937
Hi Duncan,

Those ferry wakes are horrible..not to mention the helicopters flying all night. I feel your pain. There are better protected layovers in the area, if your business in NYC is done. You could get down to the Atlantic Highlands this weekend

The first part of this week was ideal for a Run to Cape May...This weekend doesn't look too bad...winds are clocking around as we have a few systems moving through, but the High pressure should settle in by Sunday into the middle of next week.

So you will get some winds with a northerly component to them..which is good..for heading south...but they won't be consistent....The difference from last week is that you will likely see some larger seas...as the weekend progresses...5 to 8 feet...

If you hung out and left Tuesday Morning, I think you'd have a more comfortable trip. I say this because there's only the two of you and it sounds like you've already hit some rough patches.....Also, if you had to duck in to an inlet, this weekend will probably see a good swell at the entrances.

Maybe, move down to The Atlantic Highlands, explore a nice little town for the weekend..and leave tuesday morning?

Is it doable yes! are you up to shifting winds, building seas..for 24 hours? alot depends on the wave period
__________________

__________________
Tempest
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 19:17   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back in UK earning B.O.A.T. units
Boat: Hunter 45CC
Posts: 198
Images: 2
Thanks for the advice

Tempest,

Thanks for the second opinion. Yes, we'll probably head for Atlantic Highlands and see how the weather shapes up in a couple of days, at least we'll be away from the ferry wakes.

Which weather site are you using ? I'm using passageweather.com.

Duncan
__________________

__________________
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 21:19   #18
Registered User
 
Tempest245's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Posts: 937
Hi Duncan,

I listen to the local Marine Weather Station on the VHF, and look at the Marine Weather on the NOAA website for my local conditions.

Coastal Waters Forecast for Coastal waters from Sandy Hook to Manasquan Inlet NJ out 20 nm (ANZ450)

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...=292&map.y=191

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...=276&map.y=216

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...=246&map.y=237

If you're really antsy, it looks like sat ( tomorrow is the best window to make an attempt) See how you feel when you get down to Sandy Hook,
Stick your nose out and see how the seas are...you can always duck into Atlantic City....otherwise...you can lay over in the highlands..the sailing in the bay should be great...check out the beaches on Sandy Hook and eat some good seafood.
__________________
Tempest
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 22:14   #19
Registered User
 
CalebD's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SE NY
Boat: Tartan 27' - 'Odalisque'
Posts: 135
Duncan,
At least you missed being at sea during yesterdays micro-macroburst that blew over. There were 2 tornadoes over Brooklyn and Queens and lots of nasty wind near 100 mph - but you probably already know that. We don't get much weather around here usually but each frontal system can bring it's challenges.
I'm with Tempest in that tomorrow looks like good winds for heading down if you don't mind some ocean swells of < 9'. Your boat should float over most of that but will create some motion from the ocean. Igor is many, many miles away yet and not forecast to hit the east coast but it will make big swells that you will need to deal with. As Tempest said, if the wave period is long then the waves will not be breaking, which is good and you should be able to sail or motor right over them.
Check this website for wind/wave forecasts: Radiofax Charts - Boston
If you are staying at Newport Marina or Liberty Landing the ferry wakes can be not so much fun. I live right across the river in Manhattan so I know.
Sandy Hook might be a better hopping off point for Atlantic City/Cape May as it has quick access to the Atlantic.
I'd consider joining you if you want an extra hand and moral support to Cape May or Atlantic City.
__________________
CalebD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 00:08   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 104
You might consider Great Kills. Very protected, and terrific express bus to NYC.
Marc
__________________
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 10:05   #21
Registered User
 
Tempest245's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Posts: 937
Duncan,

Keep us posted, and let us know how you make out.
I picked up your AIS signal at about 12:21 p.m approaching the verrazano bridge.

Good Luck!
__________________
Tempest
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 07:06   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back in UK earning B.O.A.T. units
Boat: Hunter 45CC
Posts: 198
Images: 2
Update: At Atlantic Highlands right now (AYHC - nice place). Beautiful morning, but prospect of 9ft swells not pleasing the Admiral.

Right now looks like we will go Tuesday overnight, wind not great (15-20 in the face), but wave height much less. Have enough fuel on board to motor all the way if need be.

More than happy to have company as this will be the Admiral's first overnighter, but I'm guessing that might be difficult during the week.

Tempest : Good to know my AIS is working good.

Duncan
__________________
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 07:51   #23
Registered User
 
Tempest245's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Posts: 937
Hi Duncan,

The good news is that you're out of the ferry wakes.... Keeping the admiral happy is Job #1 . You might get an early push from some north winds on Tuesday morning...but it does look like they will settle back to the prevailing SW as the day goes on. Hopefully you get to sail some of the way.

I usually stay approx. 3 miles off the coast in about 60 ft of water..This usually keeps me inside of most of the tugs and barges transiting up and down the coast....and close enough to spot the outer marks to the inlets. Keep an eye out for the charter fishing boats and some of the commercial fishing fleet...

Is it your plan to be in Annapolis for the boat show? if so, maybe we'll cross paths.
Best of luck, keep us posted..
__________________
Tempest
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 09:46   #24
Registered User
 
captden's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tortola BVI
Boat: Vagabond 47
Posts: 158
Images: 16
Hi Duncun
We were trying to catch up with you in RI and do the run with you but when we went to leave Mattapoisett this morning our shaft log let go. Right now we are in a travel lift waiting to have it looked at but it looks like we may be here a few days. have limited web access right now but will try to keep you posted on our progress. Hope you get a goodweather window we were looking at doing the run on Tuesday but I doubt we will make it. Keep us posted
Dennis & Carole
S/V Renaissance
__________________
captden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 10:09   #25
Registered User
 
Auspicious's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: HR 40
Posts: 1,793
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
I usually stay approx. 3 miles off the coast in about 60 ft of water.
I usually stay 3-1/2 miles out so I can discharge overboard without issue. Newer charts, paper and electronic, show the line unequivocally. I slide in closer a couple of times a day to get a cell signal for e-mail and Internet. When the wind is SW it's easy to run the westbound tacks in close enough to get a signal for a while.
__________________
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks
Beware cut and paste sailors
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 11:34   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back in UK earning B.O.A.T. units
Boat: Hunter 45CC
Posts: 198
Images: 2
Hi Dennis,

That would be great to go in company. Sorry to hear about your shaft log, hope it's not too serious a fix.

Plans are to leave here mid morning Tuesday, let me know where you get to.

Duncan
__________________
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 11:37   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back in UK earning B.O.A.T. units
Boat: Hunter 45CC
Posts: 198
Images: 2
Tempest,

Yes, of couse I plan to be at Annaolis, but SHMBO is planning to confiscate my credit cards lest I cripple the cruising budet even further with more things "we don't need on the boat".

Hope to see you there.

Duncan
__________________
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 06:25   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back in UK earning B.O.A.T. units
Boat: Hunter 45CC
Posts: 198
Images: 2
Tempest,

See you are online. Thinking of moving off this afternoon. At least poking my nose out of the bay and seeing if the Admiral is up to it.

Seas should be no more than 4ft, but wind is a bit variable.

Doesn't look like a better time until after the weekend.

Second opinion ?

Duncan
__________________
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 08:22   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Leewards heading to Grenada for summer 2012
Boat: Tayana 42
Posts: 102
We were planning on heading from Sandy Hook to Cape May on Friday morning, going overnight and up to C&D Canal by Saturday night. The weather does not look promising at all for that.
__________________
msulc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 08:26   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back in UK earning B.O.A.T. units
Boat: Hunter 45CC
Posts: 198
Images: 2
msulc,

Yes, weather seems to get worse at the weekend. Right now, we are planning to give it a shot today / tonite, will report how we get on.

Either way, keep in touch.

Duncan
__________________

__________________
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cape Horn / Cape of Good Hope Macopa Other 14 24-08-2017 21:21
Crew Wanted: Crew Wanted: Cape May to Sandy Hook Exhale Crew Archives 1 06-05-2010 06:15
79th Street Marina NYC - and Sandy Hook AutumnBorne1 Meets & Greets 16 20-09-2007 09:33
Crew invited for Charleston, SC to Sandy Hook/Atlantic Highlands, NJ, in late July/ea skipgundlach Crew Archives 0 23-07-2007 22:36



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:10.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.