Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-04-2014, 16:49   #31

Boat: Voyage 440 Owners Version
Re: Saint Lucia & Saint Vincent

Well DefinitelyMe there may be areas of both large islands you did not see or experience with your one day visit.
I have traveled and sailed throughout these islands since the late 70's and have quite a different perspective. There is a lot of needless sensationalism surrounding both of these lovely islands. For some reason some on this forum fear specifically St. Vincent. Especially because there was a murder there years ago, I believe in Cumberland Bay, which is quite picturesque and full of pleasant people. From what I learned it was a drug deal gone bad but honestly that was speculation on the people who spoke about it.
The boat boys are harmless but sometimes annoying, yet trying to make a living the only way they can.
I remember a letter addressed to the Caribbean Compass some time ago that was written by a German woman whose husband died of a heart attack while anchored in Cumberland Bay. After her husband was taken off the boat she in her bereavement decided to stay with the boat until friends arrived. Every morning some of the families of the local boat boys would come by and leave fresh fruit and vegetables on her boat never wanting anything in return. They would again return later in the day and ask if she needed anything. This went on daily until she left. She went on to say that the kindness and concern shown to her was overwhelming and she would remember those kind souls for the rest of her life.
There is evil everywhere and I have learned that if you use the same street smarts that you would in any large city then you will certainly lesson the chances of any potential suffering. If you choose only to experience "safe environments" then there is a lot of life missed.
But having said that it is really up to the individual in what they are willing to risk. I am not trying to convince anyone to go there, my ONLY motivation is to show there may be differing perspectives. At the very least these poor people deserve that.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:11   #32

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

I have no doubt that you are indeed right in saying that i didn't even scratch the surface by only staying there for one day. I have heard other positive stories about those two islands, particularly the northern part of St. Vincent (which i did not visit) however my own experience in one day was sufficiently appalling that i decided i wasn't really interested in finding out whether there was anywhere better, particularly when there are so many other islands in the vicinity which are just beautiful and where i knew i would be more comfortable. Safety has never been a major concern of mine (quite the opposite in fact - i tend to be drawn towards places that are considered unsafe by the masses), i just got kind of a bad vibe. Waking up to find the boat in the middle of a trash plume didn't help either. Poor anchorage selection on my part? Absolutely! But there are plenty of other places where it's not even an issue.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:24   #33

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailSummerWind View Post
We were super disappointed with Tobago keys. Corals are dead , fish is gone..
Oh no! When were you there? I loved it in 2008, and i'm used to pretty healthy reefs in Bermuda. There was loads of species diversity by my standards (we're very far north, so spp. diversity is somewhat diminished here due to the colder temperatures).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: