Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2015, 17:13   #1

Saint Augustine City Marina Moorings

After several days here, I figure I'll write up a report.

The marina isn't bad. They actively try to be good at customer service, which really surprised me, being just a municipal marina. The employees care about making you feel welcome and advising you of any/all services you need.

Now, the down side.

The moorings are completely unprotected in a northeast blow, unless it's dead low tide.

I've been out here slamming around all week. It's so bad my dinghy painter has chafed through paint and fairing material to raw fiberglass!

Everything is banging around 24/7, except for a few hours of low tide. Without exaggerating, I've anchored in the open ocean many times in smaller boats and monohulls and been bounced around less. Making matters worse, the current turns the boat so the waves coming in the inlet hit you beam on. Thank god I'm in a catamaran. A monohull in this situation would be unimaginable.

The spot may have been barely adequate as an overnight stop as a free anchorage, but as something to pay for, I'd give it a miss for N-NE winds.

Also, the bathrooms are very prison like. You have to share a mirror/space to shave with other guys. Very communal. One big room with 2 stalls to shower. No privacy.

In all other respects, the marina is top notch, but these two problems are huge to me and make me wish I paid $20/night to anchor in a better spot.
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 17:18   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Saint Augustine City Marina Moorings

It's St. Augustine. It's always been like that, even when you could anchor there. If you want a better anchorage move south to Palm Coast and Daytona or north to Pine Island.
Old 22-10-2015, 18:18   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

For the most part it's a great mooring field. To bad you were there in the wrong conditions.. All you had to do was go north a few miles and anchor for free and be out of the wind and current.
I find the showers first rate, the laundry first rate and the staff too.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 18:58   #4

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Are you in the north mooring field, north of the bridge?

You might be more comfortable in the south field. That being said, we've had some pretty stiff winds earlier this week. Might be unable to find comfortable mooring in that area under those conditions.

As to bathrooms, they get pretty crowded at times. I'd rate them as "Acceptable".
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 19:08   #5

Well, folks, needed shoreside access for work reasons. Not retired yet.

They were reluctant to move me to the other moorings.

This is my experience here. I wouldn't stay here again unless winds were westerly.
Old 22-10-2015, 20:21   #6

Boat: Nauticat 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post
Well, folks, needed shoreside access for work reasons. Not retired yet.

They were reluctant to move me to the other moorings.

This is my experience here. I wouldn't stay here again unless winds were westerly.
Everyone is south of the bridge for a reason.
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 22:14   #7

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

If you want to see prison bathrooms in a Florida municipal marina look no further than Key West!

Check out our blog...

Things That Make You Go Hmmm! - Tiki Trek Sailing

Unfortunately, it looks like this no anchoring rule will pass this time so you can look forward to being pushed into crappy mooring fields. Now that they don't have to compete for your business I expect the level of service to drop.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 05:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
If you want to see prison bathrooms in a Florida municipal marina look no further than Key West!

Check out our blog...

Things That Make You Go Hmmm! - Tiki Trek Sailing

Unfortunately, it looks like this no anchoring rule will pass this time so you can look forward to being pushed into crappy mooring fields. Now that they don't have to compete for your business I expect the level of service to drop.
OMG. Got a huge laugh out of that blog page!

Unbelievable. Looks like they got a great deal at the prison surplus auctions.

St Augustine is much nicer than that. It's just completely communal with no private area to do grooming in. For instance, I was using the trimmers to shave stray back hairs at the main sink while guys were walking in and out. Pretty awkward.

More incentive to get my first shower built aboard the boat.
Old 23-10-2015, 08:39   #9

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Well blow it did this past week in NE Florida. Gusts just above 30 mph at Daytona Beach and yes even inland it was a bit choppy.

I'm at Halifax Harbor in Daytona Beach and the place is lovely. Sorry we don't have a mooring field just dockage but 400 slips and 5 bathhouses kept in immaculate shape are worth the cost.

I stayed on the boat this week 3 nights due to the excess wind as I had to take down a foredeck shade cover and wanted to kedge off the dock with the wind out of the east.

I think any open mooring this week would have been a wild ride. Cat or mono hull would have been interesting. Come visit Daytona Beach, you might be surprised.
PuttingDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 13:18   #10

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

When in St. Augustine, we stay up the San Sebastian River at Rivers Edge. It’s protected, cheaper and has decent bathrooms. Also, a great bar on site.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 13:47   #11

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisjay View Post
When in St. Augustine, we stay up the San Sebastian River at Rivers Edge. It’s protected, cheaper and has decent bathrooms. Also, a great bar on site.
Cheaper than a mooring?
Old 23-10-2015, 15:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Cheaper than a mooring?
Not quite.

Another alternative is Hidden Harbor - where we are now. Its about $200 more a month compared to the mooring ball and a little further up the river.

BUT... good "free" wi-fi, no bouncing around at all, clean and private restrooms, "free" power, "free" water, "free" parking, and only a 10 minute walk to both historic downtown and (going the opposite direction) West Marine and all the major shops. Gated and locked parking for your bikes, good laundry. Two liquor stores across the street. Winery with great rooftop view across the street, distillery 5 minute walk away. $8 pump out. No Fuel.

Rivers Edge is also very good - although its probably an additional 5 minute walk to Historic downtown. On the other hand its 5 minutes closer to shopping.
Old 23-10-2015, 16:14   #13

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Not quite.

Another alternative is Hidden Harbor - where we are now. Its about $200 more a month compared to the mooring ball and a little further up the river.

BUT... good "free" wi-fi, no bouncing around at all, clean and private restrooms, "free" power, "free" water, "free" parking, and only a 10 minute walk to both historic downtown and (going the opposite direction) West Marine and all the major shops. Gated and locked parking for your bikes, good laundry. Two liquor stores across the street. Winery with great rooftop view across the street, distillery 5 minute walk away. $8 pump out. No Fuel.

Rivers Edge is also very good - although its probably an additional 5 minute walk to Historic downtown. On the other hand its 5 minutes closer to shopping.
Hey zboss, we're at Hidden Harbor as well but don't stay on the boat (yet). Glad to hear the wifi works well, I'm the guy that put in the new radios a few months back.
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 18:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-Head View Post
Hey zboss, we're at Hidden Harbor as well but don't stay on the boat (yet). Glad to hear the wifi works well, I'm the guy that put in the new radios a few months back.
Yes! I thought you were in the marina. What is your boat name?

I would add that the best place to get diesel fuel in STA is on the river where the shrimp boats come in... Marine Oil and Supply.
Old 24-10-2015, 04:37   #15

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Yes! I thought you were in the marina. What is your boat name?

I would add that the best place to get diesel fuel in STA is on the river where the shrimp boats come in... Marine Oil and Supply.
Bon Aqua. We're bow in down on the north end, slip #4 IIRC. Come on by, I'll be headed down shortly.
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring