Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 06:31   #1

Sailing to Cuba

We are two American journalists, licensed for travel in Cuba by the State Department, and would like to get there by boat. I realize that boats can't go directly from the U.S., but wondered if there was any traffic between Cuba and other ports in the Caribbean. I know this is hurricane season and wondered if there is much sailing activity in this part of the Caribbean in the months of June and July. What would be the best port to attempt to catch a ride from? Are there any other commercial or freight ships that make this passage?

Please realize that we are professionals with sailing experience, who are familiar with the region and U.S. law and understand the current situation with regards to the USCG and people sailing to Cuba, so please only post if you have constructive information and experience in this area. Thank you for your help.
dosfotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:41   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
Only American boats are prohibited from sailing to Cuba from the USA. Other nationalities, like Canadians are allowed so you may be able to hitch a ride from one of them.

I know this to be true because I sailed from Marathon to Varadero Cuba two years ago and I faxed the USCG before I went and asked if there was any permit needed and they faxed me back:

" A permit is not required. have a safe trip".

Paul
phiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:06   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
But having suggested that I have to say you probably won't find many boats going south this time of year. They probably have gone back home or in the progress of doing so. I'm told its very hot in Cuba in the summer and as you mentioned, its hurricane season.

You may be able to catch a ride from some boat going back north and is going to stop in Cuba from Isla Mujeres, Mexico or Rio Dulce in Guatemala.

Paul
phiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:13   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
You might check out the Isla Mujeras area and find someone heading that way. Other ports in the Cayman Islands could be another possibility. Although you are licensed the vessel you travel on will not be unless it is your own so you will need to seek out a non US vessel.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba