Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2014, 03:19   #1

Sailing the Atlantic

Hi,

Me and my boyfriend are looking at sailing from Canada back to Europe (England) in a few years and are starting to plan the best time of year to go. We have read lots of different advice, so I thought I would ask as there seem to be a lot of knowledgeable people on here.

We read that June - August was an ok time to go is this correct? would you recommend do via the Azores or via Greenland and then down through the Irish Sea?

Thank you for any help you can give me, and please be brutally honest.

Kirst
khart13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 03:31   #2

Re: Sailing the Atlantic

Where is your point of departure? Where do you want to end up?
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 03:38   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khart13 View Post
Hi,

Me and my boyfriend are looking at sailing from Canada back to Europe (England) in a few years and are starting to plan the best time of year to go. We have read lots of different advice, so I thought I would ask as there seem to be a lot of knowledgeable people on here.

We read that June - August was an ok time to go is this correct? would you recommend do via the Azores or via Greenland and then down through the Irish Sea?

Thank you for any help you can give me, and please be brutally honest.

Kirst
have a look on this thread,it has most of the info that you are looking for re leaving from Canada or nfl towards the end of the thread

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...it-122743.html
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 03:52   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Here is an account of why you should go south, rather than the Greenland, Iceland, Ireland route.

Beating the Big One : The first high-latitude Atlantic crossing by open boat for 1,000 years, and other Alan Priddy adventures eBook: Tony Holkham: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 11:11   #5

Thank you for all the useful information, I will take a look at that book.

We are looking at leaving from Newfoundland to England.

Thanks very much

Kirst
Old 15-04-2014, 12:12   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

Kirst,
This question came up just a few weeks ago, and I posted detailed answers here....
Quote:
Originally Posted by khart13 View Post
Me and my boyfriend are looking at sailing from Canada back to Europe (England) in a few years and are starting to plan the best time of year to go.

1) Please follow this direct link to the specific post answering most of your question...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1500720

(this link will take you directly to the discussion about leaving from Newfoundland for Europe...)

2) In general, June and July are good months to do this passage....and most (myself included) will recommend that you head South or Southeasterly until 39*N - 40*N, and then head easterly towards the Azores....

Unless you are both experienced high latitude sailors, and/or are well prepared for the colder waters, etc., nobody is going to recommend Greenland, etc.....

(FYI, the more southerly you track along this voyage, the more you need to keep an eye out for any tropical development...)

3) Finally, I applaud you for asking questions and desiring to learn....the smartest people I've ever met have been ones asking questions!!!
But, having written that....if you are asking this question here, I'm wondering if you guys may not be quite ready for an Atlantic crossing??? (maybe you are, and just checking for some sound advice, so no worries...but in case this is going to be your first offshore passage, please be aware that the N. Atlantic can be a bitch....)

I hope this helps...

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 02:20   #7

Thanks for the useful information, I have had a look at that thread and it gives some really good advice.

Don't worry it's not our first offshore trip just our first over the Atlantic and have been reading a mix of advice. We thought heading southeasterly was the best option and at that time of year but just wanted to check with people that had experience in it and lived on that side of the world.

Thank you

Kirst

Tags
sail, sailing