Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2008, 18:53   #1

Boat: Sabre 34
Sailing South to Charleston for the Winter

I usually put my boat away at Rowayton CT in November and get it out in April, but this year I am thinking about sailing it south for the winter and I am thinking that Charleston would be a good destination. I would be leaving on the hopefully tail end of the hurricane season in late October and return in April/May. I have done some day and night sails to Boston/Nantucket.

Any idea how long I should allow for an easy journey down, is it practical to get back in April? Any help suggestions gratfully received. Am I going to want to sail in Charleston in the winter? Best Books for the journey?

thanks
richardssimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 03:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings, and WELCOME aboard, Richard.
I'd expect the journey from NYC to Charleston might take between 15 to 20 days on the (mostly) inside AICW route, or as little as 5 or 6 days outside. Add "lay days" to the budget.
It can be an interesting & enjoyable cruise, so you might find that the journey is as good as the destination.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 04:57   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hello, Richard, and welcome to the Forum.

October is a good time to make that trip, and Gord's right, it can be very enjoyable. With the exception of the Sandy Hook to Cape May leg, you can do it in relatively protected waters, if you want to take your time.

Here are some links that may be helpful to you.

Tom Dove Home Page

Skipper Bob

Amazon.com: The Intracoastal Waterway: Norfolk to Miami: Jan Moeller, Bill Moeller: Books

Amazon.com: Cruising Guide to Coastal South Carolina and Georgia (Cruising Guide to Coastal South Carolina & Georgia): Claiborne S. Young: Books
Old 29-07-2008, 06:38   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Have you checked for slips? Charleston is one of the more expensive spots as you head south. Also it can get fairly cold there. I would be inclined to go a bit further south. As for returning in April/May, I would wait till at least mid May. Maybe my blood's too thin.
Old 27-09-2010, 11:40   #5

Boat: Sabre 34
Vasco, where would you recomend South of Charleston. thnaks
richardssimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 12:29   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
First why Charleston? You can sail around the harbour, lots of room or you can go into the ocean but it's fairly cold in winter. Also there is quite a current in the main marinas there, City marina, Patriots Point marina and it takes a bit of getting used to getting in and out of the slips. But there is quite a sailing fraternity there. I would go to north Florida (where my boat sits all summer). Fernandina Beach is only about 30 hours further south. No nice harbour to sail in like Charleston but you can sail around Fernandina and Cumberland Island and also you can always go out in the ocean, St. Marys River inlet. If you want to fly in and out JAX is not too far away.
Old 27-09-2010, 13:13   #7

Charleston is too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. I now keep my boat in Brunswick GA, very nice marina and well protected, no tidal current hence very little marine growth compared to Charleston. It also is about as far South as you can go and still obtain reasonable hurricane insurance.
Soiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 13:44   #8

Boat: Gemini 3200 - Ariel
We keep our boat at Sail Harbor Marina, on Wilmington Island - Savannah. The marina is on Turner creek, about 500 yards from the ICW.

The marina is great and has a full service boatyard. The boatyard does great work at a fair price. Nearby you can find a Publix, library, Ace Hardware, Wal-Mart, several restaurant, and a marine store.

The rates are reasonable. I pay $420 per month for a 32ft catamaran, including power and water.

Note that during the winter the temperature can dip down into the 40's.

Hope that you find this information helpful.

-Val Peer
Sailboat Family
Sailboat Family is offline   Reply With Quote