Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 12:38   #1

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42
Sailing Nova Scotia

In a couple of weeks I shall set sail for a two month cruise along the south shore of Nova Scotia. The plan is to sail straight across from Maine to Yarmouth and then day sail along the south and east shore. We hope to get up as far as the Bras d'Or lakes and then back home. We have done the Bay of Fundy side in previous trips.

Any thoughts?
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 15:48   #2

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger
Make sure you stop at Chester on the way up the Nova Scotia coast, as well be sure to make it to the Bras d'Or Lakes reported as the best sailing on the East Coast.
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 17:42   #3

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50
A few Spots

I assume you have one of the local cruising guides for NS, if not I could check the title on mine which is out on the boat right now. Heading up the coast from Shelburne you should stop at Carter's Beach at Port Mouton. This a beautiful, long, protected, mostly deserted, sandy beach that you can anchor off of because its orientation has the prevailing breezes blowing off the beach. It is also protected from swell. We have spent many days here. It looks like a Caribbean setting but the water is usually very cold here.

From there it’s about 2 hours to Brooklyn Marina in Liverpool. Very friendly group of volunteers run it and there is usually someone there that will drive you into town, or you can dingy over to a dock right in town.

Next day sail towards Halifax is the LaHave River, go right up to the Yacht club but stop at the LaHave bakery on the way which has a dock and lots of fresh baked food. We never pass without stopping. The LaHave Yacht Club is a friendly spot but not near any stores. Take a motorsail up river Bridgewater. It is well marked and easy if you have a chart plotter.

Next day sail is to Lunenburg which is worth staying for a few days. There are moorings that you pay for at the Yacht Shop.

After Lunenburg the next day sail is to Mahone Bay which will be you warmest sailing area up to now. Mahone Bay town roadway is open but there are moorings available and it is usually fine. Chester is another good stop. There are many islands to anchor off and you should also go into Deep Cove which is very protected but not as private as it used to be.

Next day sail is to St Margarets Bay. You can anchor behind Shutin Island and hike up to the top for a great view. For overnight, anchor behind Franks George Island which is very protected and quiet. Shinning Waters Marine is further in and has full services. Clam Island is another good overnight spot. Hubards has a nice restaurant with a dock. Anchor space in this cove is becoming limited but it is very protected.

Next day sail should be to Rogues Roost near Prospect. The entrance looks tight but quite simple when your there and watch the entrance rock that on the chart. Very protected, scenic spot. Your next day sail is to Halifax. There are mooring or anchoring in the NW arm where there are 2 Yacht Clubs. Can also anchor in behing McNabs Island. There are more docks added along the downtown area all the time but they usually need reservations.

You’re now half way to the Brasdoor Lakes with many islands between there and Halifax so you can take as much time as you want. Send me a note if you want to know something specific. I am usually in the described area during July and August.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 04:44   #4

Dear Zippy,

Thank you for the detailed reply. I do have three guides and we have been to the Fundy side of Nova Scotia but this is our first trip to the "other" side. I appreciate your personal notes on the beach and the bakery. These are things that impress the crew when your pull in unannounced.

Cheers

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

PS. The picture of you on your members page indicates that you should shave more often!
Old 30-07-2009, 09:34   #5

Boat: Cal 39 Mk.3
Nova scotia sailing

Good afternoon,I sail out of LaHave River Yacht Club in LaHave ( about half way between Halifax and Shelbourne). I would recommend if you have a chance to drop into the club. Small club, very friendly. Look us up if you decide. We sail a Douglas 32 " Magic Time " Dark Blue hull on a mooring.Have a great trip!Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyS View Post
In a couple of weeks I shall set sail for a two month cruise along the south shore of Nova Scotia. The plan is to sail straight across from Maine to Yarmouth and then day sail along the south and east shore. We hope to get up as far as the Bras d'Or lakes and then back home. We have done the Bay of Fundy side in previous trips.

Any thoughts?
ggromack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 09:53   #6

Thanks to you for ideas about sailing to Nova Scotia. We are back and if you are interested you can check out our blog at janetandansley.vox.com

I can highly recommend the La Havre Yacht club. Nice people, nice club, good beer! Thanks to all of you for your hospitality while we were there fixing our rudder.
Old 30-09-2009, 12:04   #7

Boat: Boatless
Go thro' the St Peter's Cannal to St Peter's Marina, Gerry the manager is one of the finest men I have ever met cruising, he runs the local Lion's Club charities and then go up the Bras d'Or to Baddeck Yacht Club, lovely anchorage and wonderful people.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:15   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: O'day 30 "Waverider III"
Send a message via Skype™ to waverider
I had the pleasure of meeting Janet and Ansley when they visited Nova Scotia, unfortunitly it was do to rudder problems. Great boat, great couple, good people.
waverider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 17:58   #9

Boat: Alberg 30
Has anyone sailed into the Northumberland Strait from the East? I am heading to Lunenburg from Thunder Bay in the spring of 2010 and am planning to pass on the outside of PEI on my way South and enter St. Georges Bay from the Strait (around summer solstice). I am hoping to get advice on the best route as I understand this area can be very treacherous.

Any comments or advice is most welcome.

We are a two man crew sailing an Alberg 30.
fullCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:53   #10

Hello,
You should definitely get a copy of the cruising guide for that area.
Yacht Pilot Publishing have two books. I think the one you want
detailing that area is "Cruising Guide to the Canadian Maritimes"
There is some info on their website about the books
Welcome to Yacht Pilot Cruising Guides

If you pick the right weather window it is just beautiful. I have crossed to the Magdalen Islands from Cheticamp and had to motor the whole way. The return trip was a great down wind romp to Dingwall (great little harbour in the highlands) and then on to the bras d'or lakes.

Don
marlinespike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:34   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Your obvious other option would be to go around and come in through the Bras d Or lakes, or lastly to pass outside Cape Breton altogether.

I would think that coming through the lakes would be the most picturesque and memorable path if a bit longer and may allow you to visit the Magdalens.

I've never done the route you are discussing but would like to get to the Magdalens.

I would think that either route would be of similar technical difficulty.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:31   #12

Hello,
Passing along the north side of PEI doesnt leave you anywhere to pull in if weather or circumstances are not in your favour. But by going this way you will be in a position to go to Havre Aubert in the Magdalens....nice spot

The Maggies can be a pretty windy spot so I imagine the north shore of PEI is the same. But like I said, you can also get calms.

Not sure of your itinerary, yes it would take longer to go through the lakes but I think you would be happy that you did. Also, in the spring the region is pretty foggy. but rarely is there fog in the lakes. And there is usually less of it in northumberland strait.

So, if you like long passages then go for the outside PEI route (with the Magdalens as an option depending on the weather). If during your transit through the region the weather is not shaping up then I would opt for the Northumberland Strait as there are harbours and places of refuge. I think that the type of weather this spring dishes up will dictate your best routing. Yes,it can blow a gale in St. Georges Bay, but you will get good days too, you just need to be prepared to sit in a well-sheltered harbour and wait for your weather window.

Don
marlinespike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:29   #13

Boat: Alberg 30
Thanks for the feedback everyone. We depart from Thunder Bay, Ontario on or about May 14th. We hope to be in the Gulf of St. Lawrence in early to mid July. I like the suggestion from 'hpeer' to go through the Bras D'or Lakes. This is now our intended route.
Much appreciated.
fullCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 12:37   #14

Boat: Cabot 36
That 600 nm. stretch to the North East, motoring and motorsailing from Oswego to the Gulf Of St. Lawrence has scared me off a few times and I have opted to do the simpler, Erie Canal and Hudson River before heading north to Nova Scotia from New York. The New England Coast has lots to offer but I understand the attraction of the Gulf even with it's pitfalls.
Bon voyage.
Hope Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 20:04   #15

Boat: Oday 272
Re: Sailing Nova Scotia

Thanks for the info. We are a cruising family and are hoping to sail from Maine to Nova Scotia in summer 2013. Can you point me to a good book on the sail or a charter company where I might bareboat a 5-10 yr old 36-40 sailboat for the journey?
randykhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nova scotia