Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2017, 11:23   #1

Sailing Keys to Fort Myers

We just bought a sail boat in Marathon FL and need to sail to Fort Myers. We will have charts, new Garmin GPS, so will be ok...heard it was tricky because of depth. Our draft is 4'8". Love to hear from anyone who may have tips...I know stay in the channel
trisht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 11:42   #2

Boat: Grand Banks 49
Re: Sailing Keys to Fort Myers

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisht View Post
We just bought a sail boat in Marathon FL and need to sail to Fort Myers. We will have charts, new Garmin GPS, so will be ok...heard it was tricky because of depth. Our draft is 4'8". Love to hear from anyone who may have tips...I know stay in the channel
===

You'll be OK if you watch the charts. We draw 5 1/2 and have never had a problem. In settled weather you can anchor off of Cape Sable first night, in Big Marco pass second night. Coming north from Moser Channel leave Red Bay Bank to stbd and Bullard Bank to port.

Everglades City also makes an interesting stop if it is too windy to anchor off Cape Sable.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 11:54   #3

Thank you, Wayne! Will follow advice.
Old 26-05-2017, 12:05   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
I presume you're going to go under the 7-Mile bridge then across Florida Bay, rather than around Key West? I sailed that in the opposite direction a few months ago, with a 5'9" draft, no problems with depth. Watch out for crab pots though, they can be thick and you will need to keep a sharp eye out. Better to leave early so that you can get through the worst of the pots in full daylight. A line cutter on your prop shaft could alo come in handy.

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 08:26   #5

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
I presume you're going to go under the 7-Mile bridge then across Florida Bay, rather than around Key West? I sailed that in the opposite direction a few months ago, with a 5'9" draft, no problems with depth. Watch out for crab pots though, they can be thick and you will need to keep a sharp eye out. Better to leave early so that you can get through the worst of the pots in full daylight. A line cutter on your prop shaft could alo come in handy.

-David
Amen on the traps.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 08:30   #6

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Amen on the traps.
Traps *should be* gone. Season ended May 15th.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 08:36   #7

Boat: Pearson

You should be ok. Marco is a good overnight. Stay off sanibel light , shoals, favor ft. meyers side. some trap lines are very long, favor windward side of trap lines , a boat hook or gaff and a sharp knife helps if you snag. If going up cal. river, intercoastal markers change favor starboard side of channel, try to avoid on the weekends, barnum and bailey s circus has closed so look out for extra clowns. good luck🤡😧
Old 27-05-2017, 08:45   #8

Don't stop @ Shark River overnight! The mosquitos are overwhelming. You could hear them through the screen on our hatch. The next morning my hubby discarded about 50 dead ones from the one screen!
jholder51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 08:50   #9

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholder51 View Post
Don't stop @ Shark River overnight! The mosquitos are overwhelming. You could hear them through the screen on our hatch. The next morning my hubby discarded about 50 dead ones from the one screen!
===

That's true but it's a great stop during January and February. We have frequently anchored off Cape Sable during mosquito season.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 11:33   #10

Boat: Hunter 41

I made the same trip coming to and from the Bahamas with a 5 ft draft. Stayed at Cape Sable and factory bay in Marco. The traps should be pulled as of 5/15 as the season is over. I would still be careful as there can be abandoned traps or those that don't care.
wnischt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 13:19   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnischt View Post
I made the same trip coming to and from the Bahamas with a 5 ft draft. Stayed at Cape Sable and factory bay in Marco. The traps should be pulled as of 5/15 as the season is over. I would still be careful as there can be abandoned traps or those that don't care.
Ghost traps. Unfortunately they just keep catching. I'm sure the lobster men don't want to lose them.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 18:06   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

We've anchored in Little Shark; make SURE to be out in the wind! And agree, watch out for the pots; with your draft have a great trip. Stop in Marco Island (Smokehouse Bay) if time permits; neat anchorage
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 13:46   #13

Thank you so much all of you for your helpful responses!

Trish
Old 28-05-2017, 13:55   #14

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Thank you so much all of you for your helpful responses!

Trish

Have a safe, and fun, trip [emoji3]
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fort myers, sail, sailing