Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2009, 12:33   #1

Sailing Keys (June - ish)

Ok, considering about 10 days in the Florida Keys. I have a Macgregor (26ft, draft 4 ft - retractable keel). Can engine in about 18 inches. Anyway, considering trailering down to the keys in and about late june / early july. I am planning 10 full days sailing and I am floating two ideas...one is just getting a slip at Bahia Honda national park and calling that home for the time, doing days sails from there. The other is sailing along the keys and stopping each night at a different place. I am leaning twoard the first idea as it will be more relaxing and a lot less work. (i am all about relaxing with amazing sunsets and remote areas.)

In anycase has anyone sailed the mid keys around Honda? Any tips? Any good anchorages, unihabited cays, nice beaches. Any tips?

Thanks
corkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 13:27   #2

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Will your marine insurance cover your boat while in the keys? Hurricanes will be possible starting at anytime. I do not know very much about the keys. Hopefully you will hear from a member with key experience.
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 03:28   #3

Boat: 41 Morgan OI, Loose Change
With your Mac, you can get into several nice anchorages on the bay side. There are only a few places on oceanside worth stopping between Key West and Bahia Honda. PM me and I will be glad to meet with you and cover some charts. I live and sail out of Summerland and know this area well.

As for the hurricanes, you have lots of notice. The winds during June and often light and you may end up motoring more than you like. Have you thought of the Tortugas?
Steve
sailcapt is offline   Reply With Quote