Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2019, 12:06   #91

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
Re: Sailing from the US to Europe right now. What do you think about the timing?

Hey tthouses.... I was out there in that storm and it really was rough. Later met up with Hank Schmidt of OPO at San Juan airport and we discussed the season as being unusually horrible. This year wasn't as bad but the boat I delivered was worse!

Don Street has a great idea... leave from Beaufort/Morehead City
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 17:03   #92

Re: Sailing from the US to Europe right now. What do you think about the timing?

La Vagabond will be just fine, outstanding crew with the addition of a world class pro sailer to the already very capable couple and one of the worlds very best weather routers plotting the course. One other massive advantage they are Australian's on a French boat Ive never heard so much fear from a bunch of armchair sailors and there is a huge difference between fear and respect. Come down and sail in the roaring 40's and 50's south of Tasmania. Go Vagabond show them that the real spirit of adventure and seamanship is not dead.
HansChristian33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 17:58   #93
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansChristian33 View Post
La Vagabond will be just fine, outstanding crew with the addition of a world class pro sailer to the already very capable couple and one of the worlds very best weather routers plotting the course. One other massive advantage they are Australian's on a French boat Ive never heard so much fear from a bunch of armchair sailors and there is a huge difference between fear and respect. Come down and sail in the roaring 40's and 50's south of Tasmania. Go Vagabond show them that the real spirit of adventure and seamanship is not dead.
they will probably need a new set of sails by the end of the trip,and to replace lots of broken gear but i guess companies will be falling over themselves with offers of new gear....might even get a new boat out of it
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 20:32   #94

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
they will probably need a new set of sails by the end of the trip,and to replace lots of broken gear but i guess companies will be falling over themselves with offers of new gear....might even get a new boat out of it
I wouldn’t be at all surprised if that’s why they’re going in the first place...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2019, 20:45   #95

So much negativity, how about support for a couple who have the heart and soul of true adventurers. I am glad many of you where not around in the days of square riggers you would have never gone to sea. You got this Riley 100% behind you mate.
Old 20-11-2019, 00:50   #96

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Wow Hans C....there is a difference between negativity and people who have lost their lives sailing late in the season. No one is bashing La Vagabond or casting dispersions on the skipper. You can cross the Atlantic in a rowboat if you wish...or a 12 foot skiff....

It is a beautiful boat and experienced seamen. Remember Fastnet Race that people lost their lives in due to unexpected storm that blew up the fleet and took over 15 lives of experienced seamen? I am sure we can all agree that prudence is not a sin.

I think the people on here are just worried that things can go sideways. Does it mean it will go sideways? Everyone hopes the best for them. Hans...there are many sailors on here who have plenty of experience crossing the Atlantic. They are not "armchair sailors"...

You may embrace the idea of "damn the torpedos...full speed ahead" type of bravado...you make your plans and hope for the best. Most likely they will be fine and may run into some squalls and get ruffled up a little. But you know, I know, and everyone reading this thread knows....that sh!t happens out there and if it can sink commercial ships...it can sink our little plastic toys. That isn't negativity. That is documented in the annals of news. It is fact. I wish them the best of luck and hope they have a grand crossing.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 01:23   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
It is a beautiful boat and experienced seamen. Remember Fastnet Race that people lost their lives in due to unexpected storm that blew up the fleet and took over 15 lives of experienced seamen? I am sure we can all agree that prudence is not a sin.
Quite and that was mid August, hardly winter in the N Atlantic.

Quote:
Come down and sail in the roaring 40's and 50's south of Tasmania. Go Vagabond show them that the real spirit of adventure and seamanship is not dead.
What on earth for bragging rights if you get back home, no thanks life is for enjoying.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 02:04   #98

Quote:
What on earth for bragging rights if you get back home, no thanks life is for enjoying.
A life lived in fear is a life not lived and one needs to drink deep from the cup of life or know not the taste. Go Riley and La Vagabond you got this.
Old 20-11-2019, 22:57   #99

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Hans, we are all rooting for them to have a safe journey. Why do you want to take such an adversarial approach to everything that is said? I used to ride a 200 hp Hayabusa. Had it up to 170 mph on track days plenty of times. Death on a stick if something goes wrong. But I wouldn’t want to ride my sweetheart on the backseat at reckless speeds.

I get the philosophy of young people. Go big or go home. There is no tomorrow. Guys who fly wing suits and slam into walls of granite at 150 mph for the thrill and fame. Leave wives and children without their husband and father. Ice climbers and rotten ice. Buried a few of them in Mammoth. One was a coworker at the hospital. Nice fella... his ex-wife cratered In with him. I know the type. It is a choice.

So, as said before... everyone wishes them well. They are taking a risk and it is their choice. They will live with it. But do you really need to show disdain for those who don’t want to take risks for no reason? There would never be a reason for me to sail that ocean at that time of season.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2019, 00:02   #100

All good for them doing this...publicity for the earth can never be wrong

But intentionally putting your baby at risk like that.....shew that's a rough one. Not for me...maybe with a kid that could swim a little at least!
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 10:30   #101

Boat: Jeanneau DS 43

I would not do it. Probability is for one nasty low after another with winds 35-45 and if you are unlucky higher. That said, south of 40N, gives higher probability of missing worst. Have good forecasting looking forward several days and be prepared to get further south if things get ugly.
sailoray531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 22:32   #102

Boat: Malö 40H

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
......when I did my RYA yacht master the instructor said I'll do fine sailing around the world "God looks after fools", I hope hes right.

Hey, we had the same instructor! [emoji23]

In spanish this line goes "God looks after babys drunks and fools".. so it seems these famous folks trying the W-E crossing right now have a good hand of cards :-)
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 23:29   #103

Look the most dangerous thing you can do on any given day is drive your car but its ok to strap your child in and drive around in cars absolutely no difference with La Vagabond. While pushing barrier and taking on challenges that push you to your very limits and maybe beyond may not be your think don't heap your attitudes on those that are as they are the ones who have taken our species forward and are the ones we all turn too when **** really hits the fan. Go Riley you got this man.
Old 26-11-2019, 05:43   #104

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
La Vagabond will be just fine, outstanding crew
You're going to need footnotes for that assessment. From where I sit they make the Bumfuzzles look like pros. I expect the reason Nikki Henderson is on board is that some adult supervision from someone offboard insisted on a professional aboard.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 10:52   #105

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
You're going to need footnotes for that assessment. From where I sit they make the Bumfuzzles look like pros. I expect the reason Nikki Henderson is on board is that some adult supervision from someone offboard insisted on a professional aboard.

Does anyone know:

a. Whether Nikki is being paid and if so by whom?
b. Where she was before joining the boat and how she got to it (I hope for Greta's sake that she didn't fly)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, grass, rope, sail, sailing