Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2017, 10:39   #1

Boat: Leopard 38
Sailing from Miami, FL to Brunswick, GA

Hello everyone,

We have a leopard 38 catamaran and are looking to sail her up the east coast from Miami to Brunswick leaving in the next week or two if the weather cooperates. There are 2 of us and we're relatively new to sailing - this will be our first long trip anywhere (we'd hoped to go to the Bahamas and on south but repairs and delays mean it's getting a bit late in the season for us to be comfortable).

I'd be very grateful if anyone could provide any advice for going up that way in June/July i.e. any particular charts/guides/recommendations for anchorages and other useful advice for the passage up. Thank you!!
Jen_sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:08   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Sailing from Miami, FL to Brunswick, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen_sail View Post
Hello everyone,

We have a leopard 38 catamaran and are looking to sail her up the east coast from Miami to Brunswick leaving in the next week or two if the weather cooperates. There are 2 of us and we're relatively new to sailing - this will be our first long trip anywhere (we'd hoped to go to the Bahamas and on south but repairs and delays mean it's getting a bit late in the season for us to be comfortable).

I'd be very grateful if anyone could provide any advice for going up that way in June/July i.e. any particular charts/guides/recommendations for anchorages and other useful advice for the passage up. Thank you!!
Howdy Jen Sail!

Welcome Aboard CF. I see this is your first post.

You have 350 nautical miles from Miami to Brunswick GA.

That might be two+ days sailing if you go offshore and overnight.

If you coast hop, you should read about the inlet you choose. Some have tricky local conditions. My suggestion: pick a likely inlet, then do some research on it on CF or via Active Captain or a cruising guide.

The "Waterway Guide" is very popular cruising guide. Look for a copy that focuses on your part of the coast.

Active Captain is free online software/site that can provide lots of "local knowledge" too.

St. Augustine is a lovely city, and about 90 miles from Brunswick. I enjoyed visiting that city.

Leopards are nice boats. I would love to join you on the trip.

Hope that helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:41   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The key decision you have to make is whether you will sail offshore nonstop or if you choose to stop somewhere along the way.

The choice of inlet is important and so is the timing of entering it.
A consensus of experienced CF cruisers says that any of the inlets can be tricky if the weather and tide conditions are against you. You could find standing waves at the entrance or shoaling. Those conditions change quickly, so it is best to ask or find about the conditions near to the time you are going to enter.

Here is a tip for CURRENT local conditions of any of the inlets: Call SeaTow and/or TowBoatUS and ask them via phone call what the current conditions are for your chosen inlet.

I mentioned the WaterWay Guide earlier. Here is a link to what I meant:
2016 Waterway Guide Atlantic ICW 2016 book
396 pages spiral bound
= $42.13 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Waterway-Guid...19JHXMHWY8MJCP
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 14:58   #4

Steady Hand,
Thank you so much for the tips! We've used activecaptain but the waterway guide sounds great, we'll look into that. This has been a bit of a change of plan for us in the last couple of days as we were all prepared to sail south but it's getting on in the season and the weather has been pretty miserable to boot... so we think this might be a better option than "rushing" through the Bahamas... Difficult to start from scratch, but your advice will help us! Thank you again!
Old 06-06-2017, 15:22   #5

Boat: Hylas 54

we did that trip last year from FLL to Brunswick. Two of us in a Hylas 54. Went offshore into the Stream and did it in 2 days, non stop. Its a great passage to do for newbies as you can sail north with the lights of the east coast in view to port. Why don't you do it in one shot?

Pick your weather and a good moon and you will have a blast. Make sure you time it to hit Brunswick in the AM, and research a couple of bailouts on the way incase you need them.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 16:13   #6

Hobiehobie,

Great to hear! Thank you so much! My husband is currently mulling over whether to still try for the Bahamas and on down to the DR as this was our original plan. But we haven't had much time to test out the boat more than just a handfull of day sails and docked/anchored out in Miami, so pushing on down in hurricane season is a little sketchy for me with our little ex charter and her aptitude for needing surpise repairs... Going up to GA and waiting it out does sound more manageable, it's nice to hear that you had a good experience! Thanks again!

https://www.archipelagosail.com
Old 06-06-2017, 16:29   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Hobiehobie,

Great to hear! Thank you so much! My husband is currently mulling over whether to still try for the Bahamas and on down to the DR as this was our original plan. But we haven't had much time to test out the boat more than just a handfull of day sails and docked/anchored out in Miami, so pushing on down in hurricane season is a little sketchy for me with our little ex charter and her aptitude for needing surpise repairs... Going up to GA and waiting it out does sound more manageable, it's nice to hear that you had a good experience! Thanks again!
Go north to Brunswick and spend the summer getting to know the boat. Say hello to Ralph at Brunswick Landing.
Old 06-06-2017, 16:46   #8
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Go north to Brunswick and spend the summer getting to know the boat. Say hello to Ralph at Brunswick Landing.
Thanks for the shout out Rick. Hopefully Jen already has a reservation with us if coming here. I just don't have room for any more cats.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 18:09   #9

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Hobiehobie,

If you decide to do the straight shot from Miami to Brunswick, and want an extra hand, just give me a shout as I live nearby. Not looking to be paid, I just really enjoy offshore sailing.

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 18:14   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Sailing from Miami, FL to Brunswick, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Thanks for the shout out Rick. Hopefully Jen already has a reservation with us if coming here. I just don't have room for any more cats.

Ralph

Ralph,
I have a reservation on or about end of July for an IP 38 named Stargazer. Mind checking it's still valid for me?
Expect to be there until towards the end of the year.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 18:34   #11

Thanks Vasco - Ralph i sent you a pm David, thanks so much, we appreciate the kind offer, we'll let you know!

Old 07-06-2017, 08:59   #12

Boat: Hunter 33.5

Just a thought but when heading north from Miami why not stop in the Abacos, the northern most part of the Bahamas and only 50 miles due east of Palm Beach.
Google, "Regatta Time in the Abacos" and you may just decide to stop there..............
tdh1849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:35   #13

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

There's also beautiful parts of the intercoastal all the way up if you're not in a rush...

ie. stop at Palm Beach and visit Peanut Island, snorkel or dive the Blue Heron Bridge (considered one of the top shore dives in the world - we dive it almost every week).

Jupiter has great restaurants, the Space coast, Vero, etc...

Waterway guide and Active Captain can provide lots of anchorage info as well as Marina's if you're into that.

Have fun along the way!
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:37   #14
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Ralph,
I have a reservation on or about end of July for an IP 38 named Stargazer. Mind checking it's still valid for me?
Expect to be there until towards the end of the year.
Gotcha. No problem.

Looking forward to meeting Jen soon. I was happy to see that she had a reservation with us.

Maybe we need to throw a Cruiser's Forum BBQ get-together here?

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:52   #15

Ralph, that sounds amazing, we're so looking forward to our stay in Brunswick and the journey up! Can't tell you all how helpful you've been, this forum is a great resource with great people and we're excited to meet some of you soon!

Tags
miami, sail, sailing