Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 02:30   #1

Boat: Ted Brewer Jason 35 Cutter
Sailing from Florida to Venezuela

I will be sailing with my friend and his boat from Florida to Venezuela,via Cuba,Dominican Republic and Porto Rico.Any good advise is appriciated,I am still looking for uesed paper charts on Cuba and DR aswell as PR.I have the cruising guide to the Caribbean aswell as some information from the internet. Cuban charts are hard to find.
Most of my sailing I have doen in the Paccific North West and I am looking forward to sailing in the tropical reagions.
Hubert, S/V Freja II
hubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:12   #2
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Are you following the news lately with Mr. Chavez?
Old 09-11-2009, 05:16   #3

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Have you seen this site? Maybe they can help you with information re Cuba.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:37   #4

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Dear Hubert,

It sounds like a great trip which I am sure you will enjoy. I will leave others to help you with advice on the northern part of your journey, but if you feel I can help with the southern part I am happy to help.

Best regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:49   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Cuba charts are available from Blue Water Charts and on the internet. You should be able to buy them in Canada without any difficulty. The nautical charts put out by the Cuban government are excellent.
- - There are no "up-to-date" charts for the Dominican Republic - guide books are about the only way to get specific harbor/bay information. The old "DMA charts exist for the "big picture" and not much has changed. Wavey line Charts makes the only "new" charts of the D.R. and you can find them in most chart stores.
- - All the Puerto Rico Charts are free from NOAA if you are using an electronic charting system. You can get free charting systems like Sea Clear II or the newest OpenCPN and run them on your notebook computer.
- - Assuming you are going to run the Cuban coastline west and around to the south side of Cuba - you would then might stop in Port Antonio, Jamaica or just cross the southern end of the Windward Passage and track along the south side of Haiti and the Dominican Republic. See the DR Cruising Guide for an excellent treatment of the South Coast of the D.R. As with all Cruising Guides things are always changing between the publication date and the current time, so be wary of possible different ways things are now from they way there are described in any Cruising Guide.
- - If you are intending to take the hard way eastwards along the Cuban north coast to the northern side of the D.R. - good luck! That is both upwind and up current.
- - If you are in a hurry to get to Venezuela, then from the eastern end of the D.R. you could beat south to the A.B.C. Islands (Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire) and then truck east along the Venezuelan Islands to whatever your destination there is located.
- - Also from Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands you can also head directly south to Venezuela. The other route (long one) involves following all the Leeward Islands to the Windward Islands south to Grenada and then heading west to Venezuela.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:47   #6

Passage Venezuela through DR and PR and Cuba

Hubert,

Suggest you read the Cruising Guide to the DR as well as Van Sant's book, Gentleman's guide to passages south.
This will give you a good primer on coping with trade winds and routes.

The DR cruising Guide is free. Go to Cruising Guide | Index

Good Luck
Frank Virgintino,Author
DR Cruising Guide
tokarse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, Venezuela