Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2018, 13:52   #1

Boat: Costum 42 Monohull
Sailing from Connecticut to Cuba this Spring

Hi to all.

I am new to the US's northeast sailing. I was planning on sailing this spring or summer down the east coast to Cuba in preferably 1 or 2 day hops.

Would anyone be able to tell me if end of April is a good time to start in terms of frequency of gales/bad weather? Or should I wait for May June.

Is there a sailing guide that would be helpful for the anchorages and what to look out for the east coast?

Much obliged for you help.

M
Mgago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 14:14   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Sailing from Connecticut to Cuba this Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgago View Post
Hi to all.

I am new to the US's northeast sailing. I was planning on sailing this spring or summer down the east coast to Cuba in preferably 1 or 2 day hops.

Would anyone be able to tell me if end of April is a good time to start in terms of frequency of gales/bad weather? Or should I wait for May June.

Is there a sailing guide that would be helpful for the anchorages and what to look out for the east coast?

Much obliged for you help.

M
Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF!

What follows is written in a friendly tone, with the sole ntent to help you.

Hurricane season in the North Atlantic, and thus the Caribbean too, is from June 1 to November 30. The peak of activity is Late August through September.

Many boats go the opposite direction (they head North) as the hurricane season begins in the Caribbean. So if you go in June, you would be going south at the time many sailors are looking for safe places to be in case of hurricanes. But that does not mean you can't go.
_________

If you intend to travel down the ICW, get a copy of The Waterway Guide, or view it online.

Many sailors like to use Active Captain for local knowledge about anchorages and the ICW. You can view it using a smartphone or tablet.

Key Points to Consider

1. If traveling the ICW, consider getting towing insurance, as groundings are common.

2. If going outside, take care at the inlets. Read about them prior to entering, as some are hazardous in the wrong conditions, or may have shoaling not indicated on paper or electronic charts.

Here is a free publication that can help too.

U.S. Coast Pilot
Free downloads
https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/publ...lot/index.html

U.S. Coast Pilot Topics

Topics in the Coast Pilot include channel descriptions, anchorages, bridge and cable clearances, currents, tide and water levels, prominent features, pilotage, towage, weather, ice conditions, wharf descriptions, dangers, routes, traffic separation schemes, small-craft facilities, and Federal regulations applicable to navigation.

Here are some previous discussion threads about Cuba. Dig into them for tips.
https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...uba&gsc.page=1

My friendly suggestion:

Tell us more about your own sailing experience. Post more details in this thread and on your CF About Me page in your profile. That will help others help you.

Tell us which boat you intend to take.
It can matter on the ICW.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba, sail, sailing