Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2015, 16:48   #1

Sailing Conditions From Carriacou to Grenada

Hello,
I am chartering with Horizon charters next April (tentatively) and sailing from St. Vincent to Grenada. First question: Does anyone have any info if Horizon in a good charter company? I usually charter with Moorings so I'm unsure how to compare the two. 2nd Question: I am taking a bunch of fair weather sailors and was wondering what the sailing is like from Carriacou to Grenada. The folks I am sailing with aren't big fans of open water passages where they cant see land and its rough. Also, if you guys had two choices in charter trips would you sail the Abaco's or St. Vincent to Grenada (one way)?

Thanks,
I look forward to some good advice
Lisa R
lreslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 19:26   #2

Boat: Manta 42
Re: Sailing Conditions From Carriacou to Grenada

I can't speak to the charter companies, but would strongly recommend St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) to Grenada. I have spent a few seasons in the Bahamas and would recommend the Exumas's and further south, the Raggeds and Jumentos for incredible water, but no services and not much chartering.

St Vincent to St George's, Grenada is roughly 80NM with more than a dozen islands in between. The conditions in April should have trade winds that are generally east to north of east and a course heading of roughly 200 degrees from SVG to Grenada, with seas normally running out of the east or northeast. You will never be out of the sight of land, your longest hop might be from Tyrell Bay, Carricou to St George's which is about 30NM. About half the trip down would be exposed to ocean swell, but at worst on the beam and more likely aft of the beam.

I would recommend Bequia, Mustique, Mayreau - Saltwhistle Bay, the Tobago Cays (a must see), Union Island - Chatham Bay and Clifton, Carriacou - Sandy Island and Tyrell Bay, Ronde Island if it is calm and then Grenada. Most of the anchorages in Grenada are on the south side of the Island, where everyone spends the hurricane season. Those bays are very interesting with lots to do, but the water, beaches and scenery are much better up in the Grenadines.

Hope this helps, have a great trip!

Marty
S/V True Colors
Currently Prickly Bay, Grenada

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
kellymj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 20:49   #3

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I have an Outremer 45 also in Grenada and agree with the previous post about the trip down to Grenada ,probably one of the best 80 miles of sailing around. The base in St Vincent has just been rebuilt but I don't know about the charter company. Skip Mustique un less some is dying to go there
David
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 20:57   #4

Thanks I appreciate the response
lreslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 21:26   #5

I chartered 10 days with Horizon in June. We sailed from Grenada to Bequia and back. Horizon did a great job for us in Grenada and I have also used them in the BVI with good results. They are much smaller than the moorings and seem to take a lot of pride in providing good service.

We had great weather and good wind (15-20) during our 10 days. Be aware that you will see big wind shifts once you get in the lee of Grenada and in some places the mountain passes cause big increases in pressure. We got rounded up a few times because of this. Our favorites were Bequia, Carriacou, Salt Whistle Bay Myreau, and swimming with the turtles at Tobago Cays.

Take exact change in the local currency ($EC) when you go to customs, bring your own pen for the forms and watch out for the volcano!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
SailSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 08:23   #6

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreslock View Post
Hello,
I am chartering with Horizon charters next April (tentatively) and sailing from St. Vincent to Grenada. First question: Does anyone have any info if Horizon in a good charter company? I usually charter with Moorings so I'm unsure how to compare the two. 2nd Question: I am taking a bunch of fair weather sailors and was wondering what the sailing is like from Carriacou to Grenada. The folks I am sailing with aren't big fans of open water passages where they cant see land and its rough. Also, if you guys had two choices in charter trips would you sail the Abaco's or St. Vincent to Grenada (one way)?

Thanks,
I look forward to some good advice
Lisa R
Hello, Horizon is a good chartering company with good service but not as wide spread as Moorings/Sunsail/Footloose. I sailed these waters enough the last two years and now Iam in Curacao with my 52 foot Beneteau. Awesome waters, beautiful sailing constant winds squally (shorten sail as soon as you see the black cloud coming fast (learned the hard way north end of Grenada last mid December) Tyrell bay in Cariacou beautiful place, good diving good Restaurants. Watch out for Kickem Jenny she's still very active (volcano underwater that is). In Grenada bring a big wallet. Use on land the Yellow Man for Taxi he's the best.
Cpt Ernie on the Mary Jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 08:27   #7

Boat: Outbound 46

We have made the trip from Carriacou to Prickly Bay on the south shore of Grenada several times on our 46' monohull. It is a full day, but very doable, just get an early start. Depending on the vagaries of the weather, you will likely find significant wind shifts, as you change from sea breeze to land breeze and back. You might also encounter some significant calms that require using the engine.

There are a couple of places to stop along the way if your progress is slower than hoped for. Dragon Bay often works, though the moorings there seem to come and go. In a pinch, you can anchor in Grand Mal, though the holding isn't great. There is a nice anchorage just south of St. Georges, if you run out of time to round the corner to Prickly Bay.

The scenery along the way will be spectacular, and the trip past Kick'em Jenny is an experience everyone should have!
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 00:23   #8

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

Please be advised there is a Level Orange Alert, (could erupt within 24 hours), issued for the underwater volcano, "Kick Em Jenny", off the north end of the Island of Grenada at the southern end of the Grenadines currently in effect. Shipping is being diverted--this is something to stay clear of.

Check it out on-line.

Kick 'em Jenny underwater volcano on Orange alert, imminent eruption possible - Eastern Caribbean
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 15:24   #9

Boat: Manta 42

Please be advised that the alert that was previously referenced occurred on July 23rd when the threat level was upgrade to orange. That level was subsequently downgraded a few days later to orange, where it currently stands. Obviously, you need to do your own research when you transit the area.

Marty
S/V True Colors
Currently, Prickly Bay, Genada

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
kellymj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 11:36   #10

Boat: Bayfield B36
Send a message via Skype™ to Stonecutter36

Greeting all I hope the net is still working 4 months ago .VHF CH 66? I only left weather maybe the odd volcano and loads of things to do .
Stonecutter36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 14:03   #11

Also as part of your OP you were also considering Abaco. Abaco is also fun but totally different conditions. Very shallow, protected waters with short sails between places. The Windwards have much longer sails between islands in waters which are often exposed to the open ocean and you have to deal with customs.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
SailSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 15:06   #12

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

IMO the biggest difference between the Abacos and The Grenadines beside the sailing is the culture. I am not trying to start world war three and I loved the Abacos but on my last trip there I found it very Americanized ie.nfl on tv and Country music on the stereo Pete's pub even takes credit cards, and that is not necessarily a bad thing but it did not suit me . Even though you could argue that the Grenadines is not very different, most bars don't have tv and they play their own music.

I would gladly sail in either place but the Grenadines is just that little bit different
David
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grenada, sail, sailing