Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2014, 05:50   #1

Boat: 1983 Hunter 27'
Sailing around Tampa over Christmas

Hi all, I am heading to the warmer weather and will be in Tampa area around Christmas. I'd love to get out sailing and wondered if there were any suggestions? If I'm doing it myself, I'd probably be looking to get something < 25' for a day. But I'd be happy to crew on someone else's boat if they're already heading out. Any nice areas to check out down there?
umphrey1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2014, 06:58   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Sailing around Tampa over Christmas

Welcome to CF!

There's a couple guys (I can't recall who) from the Tampa area... Hopefully you'll get lucky

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 07:56   #3
cruiser

Tampa Bay is all but devoid of sailboats. The waters are shallow, lack breeze and has a yearly red tide. I don't know if any of that has a hand in the lack of boats but unlike Miami, when you peer out on the bay or ocean in Tampa / St Pete area, there are few masts to be seen. Its sad.
Crosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 16:09   #4

Boat: O'Day 302

Did you get out? Tampa Bat is certainly NOT devoid of sailboats. Maybe the Tampa side is, but the St Pete side is flat out hoppin' with tons of sailing activity!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 05:54   #5

Boat: 1983 Hunter 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_alpine View Post
Did you get out? Tampa Bat is certainly NOT devoid of sailboats. Maybe the Tampa side is, but the St Pete side is flat out hoppin' with tons of sailing activity!

Only made it as far as Savannah, ended up walking on a Tall Ship, that's as close to sailing as I got for the trip!
umphrey1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 08:05   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_alpine View Post

Have you been to Miami? Compared to Biscayne Bay, Tampa is a ghost town for sailing. St Pete is a ghost town for sailing. Yes I am out all the time and Tampa Bay region is a completely wasted area. I can drive over the Howard Frankland, The Gandy or the CCC every day of the week and never see a sail on the water. I cant swing an oar in Biscayne Bay without it getting tangled in someone's rigging. We must have a very different understanding of the word "hopping" because to call Tampa's boating scene hopping is laughable.
Crosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 10:01   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
Have you been to Miami? Compared to Biscayne Bay, Tampa is a ghost town for sailing. St Pete is a ghost town for sailing. Yes I am out all the time and Tampa Bay region is a completely wasted area. I can drive over the Howard Frankland, The Gandy or the CCC every day of the week and never see a sail on the water. I cant swing an oar in Biscayne Bay without it getting tangled in someone's rigging. We must have a very different understanding of the word "hopping" because to call Tampa's boating scene hopping is laughable.
Ah...you need to get out more. Old Tampa Bay is indeed quite "thin" but the biggest problem obstructing sailing there is the clearances under the bridges you name, all less than 45 feet; thereby limiting boats much over 28-30 feet. Hence the absence of many boats. Get south of there, however, and in fact, south of Gadsden Point, and there is quite enough water and good sailing. Some would argue that even Hillsborough Bay has good sailing, e.g. the crew at Davis Island YC. We frequently visit SPYC and have always been impressed with the sailing action there abouts on Friday evenings, Saturdays and Sundays. There is also good sailing south of there and particularly between the Skyway Bridge and the off-laying keys and the Manatee River. That said, however, I do not, and personally know no other sailors, that bemoan the absence of the Mob that swarms lower Biscayne Bay. Frankly, most prefer it that way...

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
christmas, sail, sailing