Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2016, 09:29   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42
SailClear for clearing in? Caribbean

Is it advisable to use SailClear to clear into destinations through out the Caribbean?

We are new to cruising and stumbled upon the site and it looks like it could be a way to reduce time in customs/immigrations and maybe paperwork.

What are your thoughts?

thanks,

Craig
AZ_Zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 14:20   #2

Re: SailClear for clearing in? Caribbean

There are different systems in use on different islands. Sailclear works on Montserrat and some others. Eseaclear for Antigua. Customs will try to get you to use these systems either remotely or when you go into their offices. I can't say that it saves much time though.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ian_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 06:34   #3

I'm going to take away from this that the system does not work. One reply!

It sounds like a good idea on their web site. But something must be missing to have no cruisers useing it.

thanks,

Craig
Old 20-04-2016, 08:54   #4

Craig

I didn't say that no one uses it! Customs will try to get you to fill it in rather than a paper form. Once it's filled in it does make it a little easier if you are visiting multiple countries and you can do it from your boat.

I found the system very unintuitive and doesn't really speed things up when clearing in, just perhaps a little more convenient.
Old 20-04-2016, 09:12   #5

Thanks, for the input.
We need to sail from Martinique to Grenada next month and will give it a shot in St Lucia, SVG, and Grenada.

Craig
Old 21-04-2016, 10:45   #6

Craig

In that case please have a look at the thread a little lower down "Martinique to Grenada suggestions". I don't know how to copy the link on an ipad!

Ian

Old 22-04-2016, 04:19   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I just cleared into Antigua using the eSeaClear system and recall how much easier it is than the old paper method. They had 4 different forms, all asking the same questions in different order and on different size paper. It would be a lot of writing and checking registration dates and passport numbers. Using the eSeaClear took just a couple of mouse clicks and the 6 forms were filled in and being printed in the back of the customs room and all I needed to do was sign them all and proceed to immigration. Unfortunately the system hasn't been adopted anywhere else.
The French islands use a common software system to enter clearances; the difficulty here is that they use the French AZERTY keyboard which makes it tough to find some of the letters and symbols. St. Barths uses the same system but they actually store boat and crew information so it doesn't need to be re-entered each time; but they are the only ones to have this system.
While Sailclear purports to be used in the BVI, the authorities there have never heard of it. Their web page uses a terms like "will be implemented..." so I'd not put much faith in their list of countries supported. I'm off to Dominica next, and will ask about it when I clear in there.
Old 22-04-2016, 04:34   #8

eSeaclear is a better system. I wish it were adopted more widely.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:58   #9

We just cleared into Rodney bay and the Sailclear worked good here. They had a PC out front for us to submit the forms and it took a bout 15 to 20 minutes to complete everything.

So for the 1st time using it I'd say that it works. Hope other Islands are as quick.

Craig
Old 11-05-2016, 12:54   #10

Boat: Faurby 396

Last December it did not work in Rodney bay. Therefore, I did the paper work twice .

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
olianta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib, sail