Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 16:49   #1

Boat: currently between boats
Send a message via Skype™ to TheSandPebbles
Sail Through Bahamas and Leave Boat Somewhere to Fly to Wedding ? Need Advice !

I am having trouble trying to figure this out. I plan to leave Charleston, SC on the 15th of February. I'm sailing down the Islands to South America. My problem is that I need to find a place to Anchor/ tie up the boat so that I can fly stateside to my brother's wedding which is April 25th. I would be gone about 10 days, and have a dog that would need to be put up somewhere as well. My thought was to follow the "Thornless Path to Windward" through the Bahamas, DR and on to Puerto Rico, where I could arrive in time to leave the boat and dog in good hands. Is there not enough time to make it that far? Is there a better place/ island to leave the boat and dog? Should I just skip the "Thornless Path" and sail direct from Charleston to PR and then kill time around there until it's time to go? I appreciate any advice you can give to make this plan work.
-Perry
S/V ALEXANDRA
Cape Dory 31
TheSandPebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 17:16   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
I assume you have family/friends that can take care of the dog at home. Given that,
and that bringing a dog into USVI/PR would probably be easiest, don't know
restrictions of other countries (Bahamas are not to bad). I would leave the dog at
home, sail south, the when you return bring the dog with you. I think getting to USVI/PR via thornless path is a bit aggressive, getting to Nassau is no problem, if you want to be in PR/USVI, you probably should go the offshore route.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 17:21   #3

Boat: Jutson 50
Possible lead

The guy who owns the Nassau Harbour Club Marina is a dog nut. Maybe if you left the boat there he would look after it? Maybe worth a call.
cheers
JMB
Old 05-02-2010, 17:29   #4

Boat: currently between boats
Send a message via Skype™ to TheSandPebbles
Well, the wedding isn't anywhere near Charleston, where I'm leaving from, so leaving the dog here isn't a solution.

I agree that trying to do the Thornless path and get to PR in time might be too much. The more I look into it, with waiting for weather, it seems like it may take too long. But I'm thinking I would get to Nassau too soon to fly from there. Because if I stop in Nassau then when I get back May 1st I will have the entire Caribbean in front of me and only one month until Hurricane season begins, when I want to be closer to Grenada.
TheSandPebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:56   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Hurricane season (except for insurance purposes) does not start in the eastern Caribbean until mid-August. Before that the storms are generally in the western Caribbean basin. But with only 2 months before your commitment I would suggest stopping at Luperon, D.R. There is a major ex-pat community of cruisers there who - if you are a compatible person - will look after the boat and dog.
- - Continuing further down island is not a problem after you return. I have left Luperon in mid-May and made it to Grenada well before mid-August. And that's with several week long stops along the route in great places.
- - Traveling with a dog requires you have all the medical records and up to date shots documented. There are several islands which prohibit dogs from going ashore so you need to be able to deal with that. But there are hundreds of boats who travel with animals onboard so it is not a major problem, just something to plan and be aware of the requirements. The joy of having the animal with you is well worth the effort.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas