Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 10:38   #1

Boat: 32' catalina
Sail from Nassau or Eleuthera ?

We want to charter a sailboat to see some of the Bahamas. We have chartered in the Abacos a couple times and would like to explore further south.

For a 7-10 day charter, would it be better to leave from Nassau or Rock Sound, Eleuthera? We would like to go at least as far as Staniel Gay, spending some time in the Exuma Land and Sea Park along the way.

We can possibly do a one way charter from Rock Sound down to Georgetown....but not sure if we want to go that far.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Would love to do it all someday, but for now we are grabbing bits and pieces. We have extensive experience chartering all over the Caribbean, so not concerned about that aspect.
patpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:03   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Nassau would probably be better if you want to get to Staniel and the Park. You could stay on the inside and not go out in Exuma Sound. Weather is always a factor down there. Getting back would be easier too.
Old 08-01-2011, 13:00   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, patpo.

Vasco is certainly one of our foremost Bahamas experts, so trust his opinion.
I haven't been there in over a decade.
From Powell Point, you have a straight shot across Exuma Sound, to anywhere in the Bahamas; perhaps 30 nm to Staniel or Norman’s Cay.
I can’t advise anything about Rock Sound, which is “shallow”.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 13:33   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I've done both. I did Rock Sound the Exuma Land & Sea Park in a day (day sail) fairly easily last winter. Nassau to the park would take longer. However, departing from Nassau keeps you on the bank the whole way, so you have less risk of getting pinned down by weather. I think what time of the year you are considering will influence how likely you are to get stuck somewhere waiting for weather and how practical that trip is in the time frame mentioned.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 13:51   #5

Sail from Nassau or Rock Sound, eleuthera

Thanks for the input. We are panning to do it early May. I assume weather won't be too big a factor at that time.

What is anyone's opinion about doing a one-way charter down to Georgetown? We could do that out of Rock Sound. We do like to have enough time to chill out....snorkel, dive, etc and I'm not sure if we could fit it all in if we plan too extensive an itinerary.

Unfortunately, I can't find my Cruising Guide to the Bahamas right now and hubby/skipper is too busy this month to help me plan. But I am in charge of chartering the boat for our group of 6-8, so I want to get with it NOW.

Besides, planning these trips make the winter go by more quickly. Enjoying a light pleasant snow today, dreaming of pretty blue waters.
Old 08-01-2011, 14:02   #6

A one way from Rock Sound to GT would be ideal. First day shoot across the Sound to Normans Cay. Good cut there. Then work your way down the inside to Shroud Cay and then The Park. Then Staniel. If you're running out of time you can make GT in a day from Staniel. If it's blowing stay inside to Rudder Cut Cay after that you have to go out into the sound. I usually take a month or so doing this but if you've only got ten day that'll work.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:47   #7

So.... you are saying, if we can't get the one way charter, we should go from Nassau because it would be a rougher sail to go back to Eleuthera???
Old 15-01-2011, 04:15   #8

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
We have gone from Nassau to the Exumas, then to the Park (which we really enjoyed) We had no trouble heading from the park to Eleuthera, a day sail to Powell then another day sail to Rock Sound. Either way will work. Watch your weather and pay attention to conditions in entrances. Rock Sound certainly has some shallow spots, and people play musical anchors in varying wind conditions.
Have fun and fair winds
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 06:20   #9

If you can't get a one-way I think it would be preferable to charter out of Nassau. My concern is the weather. Even in early May you may get a few bad fronts. You'll notice all the posts say watch the weather. With us cruising it's not that bad as we have all the time in the world. However you only have ten days so it would be advisable to stay on the inside and not have to go out in the sound to get back to Eleuthera.
Old 18-01-2011, 10:56   #10

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
I agree with Vasco, you'll have a better chance of good sailing conditions. The sound can get very rough. Besides, you really don't even have enough time to do the north Exumas so forget Georgetown. I'd spend a week alone on Normans (and I have too!). The park is excellent and Staniel is great. No need to go any further.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 08:05   #11

Boat: Bavaria, 12.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to Otia
I chartered last year from Nassau to the Exumas. 2 things I would add:
1- Chartered bareboats do not have the communications equipment to get weather reports once you're well into the Exumas. You go weather blind, and as it has been mentioned you can expect bad fronts. Next time I'll make sure to bring a small SSB receiver with a long wire and a navtex software on my laptop.
2- I like the Sound side to cover distances, it sails much faster.
Otia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 09:35   #12

Boat: Gaivota, 23' - Tinkerbelle
Hi, I have almost the same doubt, but we intend to go late June. As far as windfinder.com statistics are concerned it is a time of ESE predominance wind, right?

Those fronts mentioned are NE fronts? How possible is it I will get bad weather so to come back from Exumas to Eleuthera?
Our idea is to cross straight from Cape Eleuthera as far south as we can and then come slowly back. I am a experienced sailor, but we will have a first time sailing couple with us. Is it ok to cross Exuma Sound on a catamaran? How far south should I go?

We are looking for advice on charter companies as well (Nassau/Eleuthera), where should we look?

Too many questions I know, I am just too excited by this trip, sorry.

Thank you very much for your advice. I hope I will see nice people like you over there.
Fabricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 11:00   #13

@Fabricio: i was there in December - bad idea, you have a much better plan for June, but I don't know the weather there in June, I would expect though that you may get 1 or 2 tropical wave swirling up north. Also check with your charter how far they will let you go and if they will let you sail overnight.
Old 22-01-2011, 11:26   #14

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
I should think you will find more of a selection out of Nassau. I have a catamaran and have sailed from Florida to The BVI's. Catamarans can easily cross the Exuma Sound. Your best bet, out of either Nassau or Eleuthera is to head for Highbourne Cay. From there you can work your way down the Exumas chain. June is when it starts to get hot, but you should have a good breeze and the water to cool off. It is also the time we start to see afternoon thunderstorm and the beginning of Hurricane season. The earlier in the month, the better for your trip. I would bring a SSB receiver for weather updates. Highbourne Marina also gives weather reports every morning at 9:00 am on VHF (hail them and ask what channel and when), we can pick them up almost to Staniel Cay. With that said, it is an awesome chain of islands, and I would sail there in June.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 15:38   #15

Scott, I was losing VHF from Highbourne after Shroud. I think an SSB receiver is a must there.

Tags
nassau, sail