Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2007, 16:24   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
safe pleace leave the boat unattended

Does anyone know of any reasonable marinas where boat can be left for a week on a mooring within Bahamas, Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands.
I think dock rates are a bit too pricy for me and I also don't feel good leaving the boat at anchor. I know Florida has some marinas with moorings, but I don't feel like backtracking. I have to fly back home for a week in the spring.
Thanks,
Petar
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 23:50   #2

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
I would not do it in Puerto Rico. I would check with the local cruiser and get a Dock Boy to look after the boat and in an out of the way island like Andros, Bahamas. You might find a local cruiser in James Town.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007, 01:50   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I can recommend Staniel Cay, Exuma.
(240 10.67' N x 760 26.69' W, about half way between Nassau & Georgetown)
Contact “DJ” Solomon Robinson or Don Rolle at Club Thunderball.
Sol Robinson at Tel: (242) 357-0286 ~or~ 355-2012
Don Rolle at Tel: (242) 355-2060 ~or~ 355-2032

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007, 07:14   #4

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
There are moorings in the holes on Stocking Island across from George Town, Bahamas Elizabeth Harbor. Good 360 protection. Refer to cruising guides for contact information. These are very popular as hurricane holes and may be hard to get.

It is easier to fly in and out of George Town than Staniel.

Excellent moorings at $15/night in Exuma Land & Sea Park. Easy to beg transport to and from Staniel. I am not sure they would be happy with you leaving your boat there for any length of time.

Good moorings at Hatchet Bay Pond on Eleuthera. Again good 360 protection. Take taxi to airport.

Lots of places in the Abacos have moorings. Man O War Cay has lots of boats left for the season. Also a good place to have work done on your boat.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007, 08:00   #5

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
Get out your chart of the Virgin Islands...

Look at Trellis Bay the west end of Tortola. There, you can rent a mooring and walk to the airport.

Or, rent a mooring in Soper's hole on the east end and take a ferry back to St Thomas and fly home from there.

Or, better yet... haul out at Independent Boat Yard (aka Lavida Marine Center) on St Thomas and have them paint your bottom while you're away. It's not that expensive.

Happy Sailing!

Kirk
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007, 10:12   #6

Gallivanters..Trellis...last time I checked it was on the East end of Tortola and Soper's was on the West <g> . I think Soper's hole is the better choice for safety from both weather and cruddy people as the boatyard there can check on things.
In the Bahamas...Hopetown Harbor or Man o'War Cay both have very protected mooorings and safety.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007, 11:21   #7

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Thanks guys, one thing I forgot to mention is that we draw 7' or so. Looking at the charts of abacos, i think I can get into Man o'War Cay with tide help. I think we should hurry up and get to BVI instead.
Petar
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007, 11:25   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My mooring between Thunderball Grotto (Islet) & Club Thunderball carries 20 feet at low tide.

Old 28-01-2007, 12:29   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Gord,

Last year the moorings were gone. Also Club Thunderball has been "under renovations" for about three years. You never knew whether they were open or closed. I see they have a website now but that too is "under construction". I'm getting reports from a buddy that's anchored north of pig beach. He's got a wifi antenna and is getting a pretty good signal from Sampson. He's given up on Globalstar which is really bad this year.
Old 28-01-2007, 13:09   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the (sad) update Rick. I haven't had any reliable information about Staniel/Club Thunderball for several years now.
I gotta get cruisin', 'for everything I thought I knew gets outa date ...

Old 05-02-2007, 15:54   #11

Boat: Irwin 37 CC
I left my boat in Puetro del Rey on the east end of PR in 2002 and 2004 for hurricane season. They have tie downs and require insurance. They have a work area where you can do your own work and lots of contractors. You can rent a car one way to the San Juan airport. I have also used the Independant Boatyard mentioned above for short term. No tie downs and at the time, I don't think they wanted long term storage. St Maartin has storage on both the DUtch and French sides.
wdkester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 22:02   #12

Boat: Jeanneau SO 49
I think Sopers Hole or Trellis bay would be fine. Trellis bay can handle the draft and maybe you can make a deal for a long term mooring? If you are only staying away for a week the moorings in both locations are $25/day.

I have been to both with 7' draft. Sopers Hole is busier than Trellis Bay and maybe the action would deter any problems.

We were at Man o'War Cay, a little tricky going in; you can have access to either end. I have seen many boats anchored as well as moored. I don't remember the compass direction but once you enter the pass if you go to port you have the marinas and a few moorings availble just outside of their docks. If you go to starboard there are private moorings as well as a few which can be rented. Mostly vessels are anchored and it is very well protected. If you can get into Man o'Cay I think it is a good anchorage.