Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2014, 10:05   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39
Safe & Secure on Board šLocked Inš

I thought I would start a new thread on this topic.......

Do you lock yourself in on board at nite?? Should you?

Many who have Cruised far longer them me would argue & point to the many years they have cruised when they have NEVER had a problem!

I was brought up in a tiny Village with a population of just 65 people in the Mountains of Mid Wales, one of the most remote parts of the UK, I can remember as a child that no one locked thier cars & most left the keys in the ignition......No one would lock thier back doors, windows were left open, little children played alone in the street.........but that was 40years ago back in the mid 70s......I return to that same Village now in 2014 & cars are locked as are the houses, there was even the murder of a small child (Little April Jones, rip) in machynlleth!

So, is it not fair that much as we love the freedom that cruising can give us, how it puts us in touch with nature and different cultures...... We must now accept that the world has changed as the years have gone by, so the way we look at our security as we cruise should also change???

Thoughts??
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 11:24   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Safe & secure on board šLocked inš

Live on the boat in NY, never lock myself in, or lock it when away.
Old 25-01-2014, 11:27   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I've thought about it, but never got around to making the grates for the hatches and companionway.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 11:39   #4

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablothesailor View Post

So, is it not fair that much as we love the freedom that cruising can give us, how it puts us in touch with nature and different cultures...... We must now accept that the world has changed as the years have gone by, so the way we look at our security as we cruise should also change???

Thoughts??
When you're sleeping you're not getting in touch with nature so I don't see locking myself in as a big imposition there. Yes, the world has changed but there were break ins all around the lake I use to frequent decades ago, especially in Winter. Many of us grew up and lived in "safe" neighborhoods but there are many in the world and in our cities who have never experienced that.

In areas of Alaska people have to wire the exterior of their houses to protect against bears entering.

As to how we look at our security when cruising, there are definitely areas I'll avoid because of piracy and in other areas I will have a high awareness, especially if cruising at night. But then as I think about pirates, I revert to thinking about history too. I would venture in earlier centuries piracy rates were much higher than today, during the ages of Blackbeard and others.

Yes, the world has changed but we're also traveling to more places and more aware. There weren't web sites 20 years ago to look up all the acts of piracy and other problems in various locations.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 13:16   #5

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Depends on the area. We always lock ourselves in, while sleeping, when in the Caribbean, Bahamas or pretty much any third world country.

While sleeping, in first world countries, we always lock the doors but will sometimes leave a small hatch open, if it's needed, depending on the area. But we never use the hatch directly over our bed.

For me, it' like wearing a seat belt. 99.99% of the time you don't need it, but you don't know when you need it until it's too late to put it on.

Cheers, and good luck out there.

Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 13:52   #6
cruiser

Yes, at night we lock the companionway. There's plenty of ventilation without leaving the front door wide open. We did the same in California and now in Spain.

For our home and business in New England... exterior video, security systems, locked doors and more.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 14:07   #7

I am with CBurger. I have not locked my home, car [when at home], or boat in years.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 14:45   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I like the alarm idea, should be real easy to put a spring and switch on the life lines, or maybe just a simple motion detector?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 19:17   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Never locked the companion way , in Europe, Med , or the carribean ( and that included St. Lucia) , when on board at night. In fact I often sleep with the hatch pulled back and washboards out. Only rain tends to force me to close up and even then the companionway is the last thing to close

Dave
Old 25-01-2014, 19:31   #10

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

We have three doors to enter/exit the boat's living spaces. We lock the doors when we're absent, and when we are to sleep.

Old 27-01-2014, 05:55   #11

Quote:
We must now accept that the world has changed as the years have gone by, so the way we look at our security as we cruise should also change???
The world is a constantly changing place. If you are not constantly changing the way you look at it--in all regards, not just security--then you are going to be missing the boat in a variety of ways. So, yes, the way you look at security has to change. The way you look at finances has to change. The way you look at the environment has to change. The way you look at EVERYTHING has to change.

That's just the way life is. If there is one thing that is even more certain than death and taxes, it is that--much as we wish they wouldn't--things change.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 06:12   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
The world is a constantly changing place. If you are not constantly changing the way you look at it--in all regards, not just security--then you are going to be missing the boat in a variety of ways. So, yes, the way you look at security has to change. The way you look at finances has to change. The way you look at the environment has to change. The way you look at EVERYTHING has to change.
plus ça change , plus c'est la meme chose
Old 27-01-2014, 06:15   #13

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
...No one would lock thier back doors, windows were left open, little children played alone in the street.........but that was 40years ago back in the mid 70s......I return to that same Village now in 2014 & cars are locked as are the houses, there was even the murder of a small child. ....We must now accept that the world has changed as the years have gone by, so the way we look at our security as we cruise should also change???
Yes, the world has changed. It has become, on average, a lot safer. From the latest UN report: "World crime trends and emerging issues...":

"Data from 2011 on property-related crime, violent crime and drug-related crime confirm trends observed over the past 17 years. Levels of property crime continue to slowly decrease, while drug-related crime continues to increase (see figure 1). Average trends with regard to violent crimes are stabilizing, with different patterns seen in different regions.

This does not change the need, in some places, to lock your doors and keep your property and yourself secure. We have a basic latch to lock the companion way from the inside. We've never used it so far, but that's b/c we currently cruise in remote areas of the Great Lakes. I would use it in more urban areas, and am looking at building a metal grate to be used as travel further south.
Old 27-01-2014, 06:16   #14

My opinion on the subject is to take reasonable caution in protecting yourself and family where ever you go but get away from all the fear mongering. Personally we will just avoid areas that have a **** reputation and chose somewhere else to cruise because we have no intention of bringing the fear the boogy man mentality to something we really love to do because it would no longer be fun for us. May as well stay home.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 06:22   #15

We don't travel much further than the Great Lakes and its tributaries, but I can't remember locking the cabin door.
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote