Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 15:18   #31

Boat: Beneteau 411
Re: Safe & secure on board šLocked inš

Oh I'm not an easy target... Someone comes on board with intent of doing harm it's going to hurt!!! All the same I'll sleep comfortably with my hatches and companionway open.
tryrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 15:23   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
WTF? Most people will be robbed several times in their life?
Yes. Almost everyone I know over the age of 30 has be robbed at least once. Maybe if you live in the boonies it is less. I have always lived in Cities. I am not talking about breaking and entering here, I am talking about bikes, car stereos, etc.

Quote:
What do you do, walk around with a kick me sign on your back? It's just stuff, but it's my stuff, not theirs. And believe me, I have no stress or anxiety about it and I certainly don't obsess over it because I know there's always an easier target for them and it's you.
No amount of righteous indignation on your part will make you less likely to be a victim of theft. That is kind of the point. But if I makes you feel better I am glad.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 15:30   #33

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Yes. Almost everyone I know over the age of 30 has be robbed at least once. Maybe if you live in the boonies it is less. I have always lived in Cities. I am not talking about breaking and entering here, I am talking about bikes, car stereos, etc.

No amount of righteous indignation on your part will make you less likely to be a victim of theft. That is kind of the point. But if I makes you feel better I am glad.

I live within walking distance of Oakland, Ca. Go there day and night often, have for thirty years. Never been robbed. If you think being robbed is a forgone conclusion, all I can say is prey looks, walks, smells like prey to the wolves.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 15:32   #34

Quote:

Three sentences of B.S. More victim talk.
Old 03-03-2014, 15:35   #35

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

In the neighborhood where my house is, we had the junior hoodlums from the barrios a 1/2 mile away. They were 13-17 with a ring leader. They would short cut our neighborhood which was comprised mostly of retirees and young family starters. These kids were very good at petty theft. They were very stealth and did more damage to your vehicle than the $50, used stereo was worth. I knew they were empowered by the ring-leader to do it.
We tried everything to curtail it, including talking to them and trying to interest them in sharing activities wit us...talking about going out on the line for problem kids!
Well we have meeting every 3 month with our local police force. They are excellent law enforcement people. The advantage to living in a small, incorporated town. They were well aware of the problem and encouraged us to keep trying what we were doing, including neighborhood watch. Sure enough when the ring leqader turned 18, they nabbed him. They had surveillance footage of him and the junior gangsters stealing. Off he went to adult incarceration. With their leader gone, the police rounded the others up, took them to the station and showed them the videos and said, they were next. You can hear a pin drop in our neighborhood now
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 15:36   #36

Quote:
I live within walking distance of Oakland, Ca. Go there day and night often, have for thirty years. Never been robbed. If you think being robbed is a forgone conclusion, all I can say is prey looks, walks, smells like prey to the wolves.
I have no doubt you are a tough guy and the denizens of Oakland quake at your presence, but that does not change the US crime rate, nor really relate to theft while cruising. While you are walking around looking tough, the person stealing your dinghy from the dinghy dock will not be impressed in the slightest.

According to the (no doubt optimistic) FBI statistics, 3 in 100 Americans are property crime victims each year. Over 50+ years, it is bound to happen to most people once or twice, but that is no reason to stay home and not go out and see the world, which was the original point of this particular thread drift.
Old 03-03-2014, 15:41   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Sure enough when the ring leqader turned 18, they nabbed him. They had surveillance footage of him and the junior gangsters stealing. Off he went to adult incarceration. With their leader gone, the police rounded the others up, took them to the station and showed them the videos and said, they were next. You can hear a pin drop in our neighborhood now
Nice. In Texas the penalty for stealing car radios is so low, there is very little incentive not to do it. Even on multiple offenses. Because of this the police don't pursue it much, compounding the problem since almost no one goes to trial for it. It is a major hassle.
Old 03-03-2014, 15:49   #38

Quote:
Nice. In Texas the penalty for stealing car radios is so low, there is very little incentive not to do it. Even on multiple offenses. Because of this the police don't pursue it much, compounding the problem since almost no one goes to trial for it. It is a major hassle.
I like the attitude of our police. They said, if the problem is not halted at an early age, then they end up terrorizing the neighborhood later. They realized the lose of the ring leader probably saves the others.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 03-03-2014, 15:53   #39

Quote:
I have no doubt you are a tough guy and the denizens of Oakland quake at your presence, but that does not change the US crime rate, nor really relate to theft while cruising. While you are walking around looking tough, the person stealing your dinghy from the dinghy dock will not be impressed in the slightest.

According to the (no doubt optimistic) FBI statistics, 3 in 100 Americans are property crime victims each year. Over 50+ years, it is bound to happen to most people once or twice, but that is no reason to stay home and not go out and see the world, which was the original point of this particular thread drift.

I'm no tough guy. I use common sense and don't portray myself as an easy mark, things that have been discussed on this forum. My dinghy and motor, painted orange by the way, is securely locked to the dock. They'll take one from someone who has resigned themselves to the fact that "Everyone gets robbed sometime".
Old 03-03-2014, 15:56   #40
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Safe & secure on board šLocked inš

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Do you guys think Lady Pippa Blake would agree you? Do your wives agree that your stuff is that important? Just curious.

Well of Sir peter hadnt bothers with getting a gun, he'd be alive today, poorer but alive.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2014, 16:03   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Well of Sir peter hadnt bothers with getting a gun, he'd be alive today, poorer but alive.

Dave

Yeah well, he may be dead but at least he wasn't a doormat. He sure showed them.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 16:21   #42

Quote:
I'm no tough guy. I use common sense and don't portray myself as an easy mark, things that have been discussed on this forum. My dinghy and motor, painted orange by the way, is securely locked to the dock. They'll take one from someone who has resigned themselves to the fact that "Everyone gets robbed sometime".
Sounds like you are saying you take sensible precautions and then don't stress about it.
Old 03-03-2014, 16:36   #43
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Dave

If Sir Peter had bothered to clean and maintain his gun (so that it wouldn't have jammed), he'd be alive today and have dealt with the scumbags the right way

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 16:38   #44
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
If Sir Peter had bothered to clean and maintain his gun (so that it wouldn't have jammed), he'd be alive today and have dealt with the scumbags the right way

You mean , he could run up the companionway and then shoot all the armed pirates on deck. What a hero , a dead hero tragically.

Dave

Old 03-03-2014, 16:46   #45

Congratulations...we went 40 post before turning this into a gun thread.